Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

2 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

any suggestions?

Alright 3 days ago my little normal girl about 190 grams got loose....3 days ago...I have blocked off the vents but it started to get a little cold so I set a screen over them, I have cleaned the ENTIRE upstairs Im really not joking threw out trash bags of stored away stuff I went through all of my drawers, clothes, shoes boxes, I have moved every dresser, I have looked under every bed in every closet, in every room. I even looked between mattresses and in pillowcases because I have actually had snakes appear there....I have set little water bowls out so she doesnt dehydrate, I set out little hiding areas, I set out plastic and anything that makes noise in little crevices so if she slides over them we will hear her. Im honestly just scared that when the cats knocked her tub over that they killed her and dragged her off or she got to the vents before they were closed off.....I even went as far as setting a mouse in a clear tub in the middle of the room to see if shes around and smells it or see its moving around..no luck..seriously Im just really freaking out right now. I was kinda hoping today would continue my good luck all through out the day because I finally saw my boyfriend, saw my grandma out of the hospital finally and my spider male breeder finally ate after being stubborn just to breed...ok well if anyone has suggestions for me please tell me!! I have looked everywhere humid dark and warm!!
    1.0 black pastel dh ghost clown 'Ezio'
    1.0 "dinker" 'Coco'
    1.0 pastel lesser het clown 'Link'
    1.0 enchi het albino 'Master Chief'
    1.0 sable het hypo 'Sephiroth'
    1.0 bumblebee het hypo 'Leon'
    0.1 lesser het ghost 'Zelda'
    0.1 Mojave 'Tifa Lockhart'
    0.1 normal dh ghost clown 'Sophia'
    0.2 normal 'Baby' & 'Yuna'

Thanks

Re: any suggestions?

Could be anywhere...I had 3 escapes a couple years ago. 1 worked its way into a dresser and was found under a drawer, another found a book shelf and hid behind a few books, and the 3rd crawled under the floor board where my heating pipes run up from the basement. Luckily, i saw him as he popped his head up through the floor, but I still had to cut a 1 x 1 foot area out of the floor to get him.

Thanks
    I think one of the common suggestions is to put flour/powdered sugar/sugar over doorways or in other areas so you'll be able to see if she's moving around in case you don't hear the plastic crinkling. Have you tried checking the vents? If she went in them and you closed them off, it's possible she's trapped inside them now. I would make sure your cats are confined to rooms you're sure your snake's not hiding in so they don't find her while she's loose and then kill her.

Thanks
    Well I cant put flour in door ways because we have carpet so I resulted to plastic. Theres to way to get to the vents unless we tear the walls out :/ and also I have actually looked in the book shelf lol honestly I cant find a place I havent looked I even crawled around feeling the carpet in case she found a way under it the cats are now in new homes we no longer have them thank the heavens lol they tore my 4 foot tall reptibreeze cage that I just got for my birthday a week ago...they also almost caught the house on fire and the younger one is the possible reason my pastel female died...
    1.0 black pastel dh ghost clown 'Ezio'
    1.0 "dinker" 'Coco'
    1.0 pastel lesser het clown 'Link'
    1.0 enchi het albino 'Master Chief'
    1.0 sable het hypo 'Sephiroth'
    1.0 bumblebee het hypo 'Leon'
    0.1 lesser het ghost 'Zelda'
    0.1 Mojave 'Tifa Lockhart'
    0.1 normal dh ghost clown 'Sophia'
    0.2 normal 'Baby' & 'Yuna'

Thanks
    Here's what I've done. I have an escape artist who gets out every now and then (I have NO idea how!).

I'll open the window and cool the room. I leave a heat lamp on in the middle of the room directed right over a hide. I check every 2 hours or so, and presto! They're there every time.

A few warnings though: If you don't find it within a few hours, make sure you bump up the heat on the rest of your collection so they don't get too chilled. Also, if it takes longer than a day, you run the risk of having the escaped bp get sick from the cold.

I've also left rats out to thaw throughout the day and the scent has drawn them out too.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JulieInNJ View Post
    Here's what I've done. I have an escape artist who gets out every now and then (I have NO idea how!).

I'll open the window and cool the room. I leave a heat lamp on in the middle of the room directed right over a hide. I check every 2 hours or so, and presto! They're there every time.

A few warnings though: If you don't find it within a few hours, make sure you bump up the heat on the rest of your collection so they don't get too chilled. Also, if it takes longer than a day, you run the risk of having the escaped bp get sick from the cold.

I've also left rats out to thaw throughout the day and the scent has drawn them out too.
    That's a fantastic idea. Also, you could heat up a f/t and place it in the hot hide and perhaps drag the wet f/t along the carpet towards the hide in several directions. The prey smell + heat should be enough to attract any snake, I'm sure. I hope that you find her soon, it sucks to have escapees
    Last edited by snakesonaplane; 01-08-2012 at 02:32 PM.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    If it's been 3 days, then look downstairs. Snakes in search of water tend to head down. I found a young pueblan milk snake in the basement shower--she made her way there from the 2nd floor, down 2 flights of stairs.

If you've cleaned and looked everywhere upstairs...then she's probably not upstairs.
    I suggest looking in the backs of all closets, and under anything with a tight, narrow space she could squeeze into. Keep in mind that ball pythons will go into cold places, and die of the cold there, if it looks like a good hiding place. They lack the instincts to avoid cold.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good luck finding her!
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JulieInNJ View Post

Haha that's awesome.

Thanks
    Also, don't underestimate their ability to get high. Axel (400 gram male at the time) somehow got up about 3-4 feet behind the washer and into a hole in the wall. Got snuggled into the insulation, and died of the cold. I really wish I could have found him sooner, but I didn't find him until the wall had to be cut open to fix the washer line. By that time it was too late. Exhaust EVERY possible avenue of searching, no matter how unlikely. Always be looking.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast