Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

3 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User blueberrypancakes's Avatar
    Thanks

stuck eye caps :(

Jackson had what I thought was his best shed to date- everything came off clean and he was (still is) looking good... but I was holding him today and I noticed that his eyes looked rather filmy, like there were bits of celophane stuck to them. And then I realized- Oh No! this must be stuck eye caps! This is my first experience with them. Bummers...

Thanks
    Do you still have the shed? check it and see if there are eyecaps on it.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyknees For This Useful Post:

blueberrypancakes (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    No, it was several days ago. I would have to check his logbook to say exactly when. I will always check from now on though.

Thanks

Re: stuck eye caps :(

did you manage to take it off? IF not, there are a few tricks you can use to take that cap off.. a humidity box and a q-tip trick works well for me when i occasionally get one in my collection.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ksen1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Two things I always check after every shed are both eye caps and then I check the vent to make sure it shed out. Usually the huge pile of crap in the cage will confirm the good vent shed. Please post a few pics of the eye in question and I am sure someone on the site can help you out.
    I use luke warm water on a q-tip and gently rub it over the eye. You should see a little white around the bottom of the eye and once it starts to raise you can rub the q-tip on it and that should pull the stuck eye cap off. That is just my way of getting them off. I know there are others but I don't use them so I can't comment on them.
    Too many snakes to list. Ball pythons, Gtp's and Boa's. It easier to say it that way.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clint Bundy For This Useful Post:

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    No harm is done with a set of stuck eye caps. Just make sure your humidity levels are good and let them come off with the next shed.

No need to try to remove them, it's not worth the stress to the animal or worth the risk of hurting his eyes. Just let the problem fix itself with the next shed.

If your humidity levels are good the next shed should be one big peice and you'll be able to verifiy that the caps came off.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 01-02-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

blueberrypancakes (01-03-2012),CLSpider (01-03-2012)

Thanks

May sound strange, but take some box tape or scotch tape and get it off that way. I did it today for the owner of the local pet store. fold it to where only the tape touches the cap and not the rest of the head.

Disclaimer: I did this today cuz the eye cap has been on for 4 months now and was clearly ready to come off and not attached anywhere. Use as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chandler View Post
    No harm is done with a set of stuck eye caps. Just make sure your humidity levels are good and let them come off with the next shed.

No need to try to remove them, it's not worth the stress to the animal or worth the risk of hurting his eyes. Just let the problem fix itself with the next shed.

If your humidity levels are good the next shed should be one big peice and you'll be able to verifiy that the caps came off.
    1.0 Mystic
    1.0 Fire
    1.1 Lesser
    1.0 Pied
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 Sterling Pastel
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Paste
    0.1 Spider
    0.2 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.2 Cinnamon

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffp_79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The only time I ever had a stuck eye cap was with Crawly. I simply used a warm wash cloth, made a tube shape out of it, let her crawl through it. Applying the tiniest pressure so it rubbed gently, eye cap came right off. Sometimes they just need something to rub against.
    0.5 Normal - Crawly, Bonnie, Sally, Oracle, and Silver
    1.1 Spider - Parker and Clyde
    1.0 100% Het Albino - Lucky
    0.1 Cinnamon - Riddle
    1.0 Lesser Cinnamon - Sinatra
    1.1 Pastel Possible Het OG - Mellow and Squirt
    0.1 Albino - Sunny
    0.2 Mojave - Cassiopeia and Cleopatra
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly - Jigsaw
    1.0 Calico - Zeus

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crawly's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks so much to all!!
    I will try to get them off, but only with minimal effort. If they don't come easily, I'll just let him go till the next shed. He's still young enough that he sheds every month and a half or so.
    I don't have a camera right now, and I don't know if I would be able to get a good enough picture anyway- it's such a small area to photograph for a terrible photographer.
    He doesn't seem to be terribly bothered by it, and Clint Bundy was so right about the giant crap. He always lays a big one with a shed. (Not Clint... well, I guess I wouldn't know, but I meant Jackson.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blueberrypancakes View Post
    Thanks so much to all!!
    I will try to get them off, but only with minimal effort. If they don't come easily, I'll just let him go till the next shed. He's still young enough that he sheds every month and a half or so.
    If his last shed seemed complete at the time (even though you didn't check for caps), I really wouldn't mess with his eyes. It would be very strange for nothing but the eye caps to have trouble coming off him, which means he may not have stuck eye caps and could end up damaging his eye by rubbing on it. As Adam said, one set will not hurt him, especially if he sheds that frequently.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast