Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,142

1 members and 1,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

How early do you set up your egg tubs?

My incubator is all set up. I ran it for a couple weeks and got the temps where I wanted them then turned it off. How soon should I set up the egg tubs with vermiculite? My girl's follicles are a little smaller than 1/2 dollars right now. I was planning on doing it about a month after ovulation, and running the incubator with the tubs in it with vermiculite till I have eggs. Does this seem too soon? Will the vermiculite be adversely affected by this? What's everyone else's procedure?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: How early do you set up your egg tubs?

Last year, I had my incubator running for about two weeks before eggs, with dry vermiculite in the tubs. I added warm water when I saw each girl begin to lay, so it was already up to temp. Note: I use a light diffuser over the vermiculite, so I'm not as worried about the water being a perfect temp right away, just in the mid-80s (temp gun).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

KatStoverReptiles (01-06-2012)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    My incubator is all set up. I ran it for a couple weeks and got the temps where I wanted them then turned it off. How soon should I set up the egg tubs with vermiculite? My girl's follicles are a little smaller than 1/2 dollars right now. I was planning on doing it about a month after ovulation, and running the incubator with the tubs in it with vermiculite till I have eggs. Does this seem too soon? Will the vermiculite be adversely affected by this? What's everyone else's procedure?

Thanks!
    First off kudos for pre-checking your incubator.

For me, at the moment I use Hatch-rite, which is pre mixed with water. So I don't break the seal of the bag and fill the tub until I have eggs under one of my girls.
    However, I am planning on switching to perlite in the future. So I talked to a veteran breeder about this topic. Here is what Colin Weaver said about this:
    I pre-mix the dry ingredients in one of the 110 quart Sterilite boxes from Target and then scoop it out as I need it. I don't add water until close to the day I will actually use it.
    So I can't imagine anything bad happening to the vermiculite by putting it in the tubs now. I just wouldn't add the water until you have eggs to put in there. Also just to be safe I would seal the egg tub with Press & Seal while the dry vermiculite is waiting in your incubator (you can also use that same Press & Seal to seal the tub once the eggs are in there to help maintain humidity).
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My incubator is running right now, I also have the vermiculite wet as it would be with eggs in it. I use the light defusers on top of the vermiculite so even if it dries out a little I can add water. I like to have everything working as it would be with eggs in it.
    spooky

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm with spooky. I have mine set up with everything all set and I'm probably still a month away from eggs. It's a home made incubator and it's the first time I'll be using it. Want to be able to watch and make sure all is working well and holding steady well before any eggs come.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkelley02 For This Useful Post:

KatStoverReptiles (01-06-2012),mr.spooky (01-06-2012)

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.spooky View Post
    My incubator is running right now, I also have the vermiculite wet as it would be with eggs in it. I use the light defusers on top of the vermiculite so even if it dries out a little I can add water. I like to have everything working as it would be with eggs in it.
    spooky
    How far away from eggs do you think you are?

Thanks guys! I, too, am doing the light diffuser route. Decided against press n seal to start out with but I can always add it later if I'm having humidity problems. I guess I'll start thinking about getting it up and running again when she ovulates.

Thanks

atleast a month,,,,, but time fly's when your having fun.
    best not to get cought with your pants down.
    spooky

Thanks

I set up my egg tubs as soon as I see eggs. I don't see any reason to set them up before-hand. I use hatchrite for my egg tubs.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    I set up my egg tubs as soon as I see eggs. I don't see any reason to set them up before-hand. I use hatchrite for my egg tubs.
    what about your incubator?
    spooky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    x2

I used to mix them up a week or so before I got eggs, but I don't see any difference mixing them the day I get the eggs...

Mixing up ahead of time also adds extra time for the medium to dry, so it may need to be remixed before you put the eggs in anyway...