Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

2 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    Thanks

Question whats the diference?!?

What is the difference between a Tree Boa and a breen Tree Python? Is there a difference? Not familiar with arboreals but I think green tree pythons are gorgeous. I want to get one eventually once I'm more experienced as a herp owner. Also I've seen gtp with blue in them. What morh I that? And what do they look like as babies?
    1.0 Black Pastel '11-Abel
    1.0 Mojave '11- Mojo
    1.0 Basset Hound-Copper
    0.1 Bloodhound-Delilah
    0.1 Mutthound- Dixie
    1.1 Cats-Maddy & Rusty
    1.0 Husband-Keith<3
    1.0 Child- Matthew

Wishlist:
    0.1 mojave
    0.1 black pastel
    0.1 axanthic
    ANGEL DUST

Thanks
    A breen tree python doesn't exist.
    Last edited by decensored; 01-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Lol I'm just kidding, I don't know a whole lot about them either but this is a good place to check out the GTPs.

http://www.finegtps.com/index.php

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    First off one is a Boa and the other it a Python. Other than the fact they live in trees they are different snakes.

The blue is from line breeding from what I understand, I do not think it is morph. I could be wrong on that one. GTPs are not green as babies and change color over time.

Thanks
    Haha sorry typo xP. But thank you. And yea I ended up seeing another thread on the subject. I don't know to much about either. But I do love the way gtp look. They're gorgeous.
    1.0 Black Pastel '11-Abel
    1.0 Mojave '11- Mojo
    1.0 Basset Hound-Copper
    0.1 Bloodhound-Delilah
    0.1 Mutthound- Dixie
    1.1 Cats-Maddy & Rusty
    1.0 Husband-Keith<3
    1.0 Child- Matthew

Wishlist:
    0.1 mojave
    0.1 black pastel
    0.1 axanthic
    ANGEL DUST

Thanks

Re: whats the diference?!?

They're entirely different species.

I'm pretty sure husbandry is very similar though.

I find both emerald tree boas and gtp's to be absolutely striking, and at least one, if not both are on my wish list for the future.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One cool difference is with the tree boas you will get live birth. Seeing them give birth in the trees is crazy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dabonus For This Useful Post:

nikitajane25 (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    I've kept both GTPs and ATBs - and still keep ATBs. Their care is very similar - and so it their demeanor haha. A lot of them are very bitey. Some GTPs aren't, but some localities are known to be (Biak). They both require arboreal cages and high humidity. GTPs are also more thick bodied and don't get nearly as long.

The different colors in GTPs amounts to different genetics and localities - not necessarily morphs. Jayapura locality, I believe, is one area that has GTPs with more blue in them. There are also Aru locality GTPs that are hormonal, and will turn more blue/bluish around mating season. A Biak locality GTP turns more yellow and green. Each locality has it's own coloration it's known for, but they're all the same species and overall the coloration is almost always a gamble because there are a lot of locality crosses and it's hard to be 100% sure where the animals originated. There are also some morphs I believe - high melanistic (more of a line breeding thing), albino (simple recessive), high yellow (more of line breeding), calico.

ATBs, as already pointed out, are boas - so they give live birth. They're also very variable in color. They can be garden phase (this just means it is brown, or black, or gray - the duller colors and patterned), halloween (a term used by breeders who are just looking to impress and make a sale - a halloween phase, so far, has been determined to be nothing special. The animal starts with some orange/red along the dorsal scales, but loses the coloration soon after - resulting in a typical garden atb), and colored (yellow, orange, red). There are also a couple morphs - leopard (simple recessive), blue eyed lucy (only one produced to date I believe), tiger (dominant), calico (I believe the calico lines being worked with are dominant - it's a fairly new morph), "hypo" (the name given to the animals that produced the blue eyed lucy - hets), and I believe albino has to be somewhere although none have been produced. ATBs are pretty amazing and the genetics are still unknown for the most part. I'm currently working with two pairs with possible morphs - one pair may be het leopard and the other possibly hypo. Hard to tell since the defining characteristics of hypos are shrouded in secrecy.

There are also several species clumped in with the "ATB" label - including grenadine boas, Cook Island boas, annulated tree boas, black-tailed tree boas, and a few others I think. You never see any of the other boas for sale (unless a breeder mislabels them cook island boas - but this is because they were all originally called cook's boas to begin with. True cook's boas are very rare and never seen for sale). Grenadine boas are never for sale, and annulated and Black-tailed tree boas can be found rarely but are much more expensive.

Hope some of this helps and I didn't ramble to much!