Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

2 members and 3,161 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Breeding ball pythons in your home, legal?

Was doing some research on the grandfathering clause (since I'm a paranoid person and I'm paranoid that ball pythons will eventually get banned), when I came across articles about a home breeder whom from what I can tell got in trouble because he had too many snakes/reptiles in his home and was running a online business from his house. Is that illegal? It really just sounds like what all of us are doing.. breeding our snakes and selling what we don't hold back online. Do they expect an small-scale breeder to acquire a professional facility to pursue their hobbies?

Not sure if I'm allowed to link, but if you google Scott Nellis Ball Python, the articles should pop straight up.

I'm just really confused and a little shocked really, unless there's something underneath the entire story that I'm missing. I've just started out with my BP collection and am quite addicted to them, and I can easily see myself having a bunch of ball pythons at some point. It almost feels like the city isn't allowing it simply because snakes are viewed in a bad light.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    The answer is going to vary widely based on your state laws, your local ordinances/regulations (if any) on what types of animals can be legally kept, or how many can be legally kept, and your HOA CCR's (if any) that regulate pets.

The exotic animal issue aside, there are also local zoning regulations and HOA CCR's that may regulate or prohibit running a home-based business as well.

All that said, it wasn't the actual snakes or his breeding business that caused Mr. Nellis's activity to wind up on the local authority's radar screen, it was his failure to properly dispose of waste material and his neighbors complaining about the strong ammonia smell from his feeder rat colonies that did it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Breeding ball pythons in your home, legal?

It depends on the laws of your state (and this country) and whether or not you're running a business or doing hobby breeding. There is a legal definition of both aspects. There are a lot of threads on this forum about this - if you do a search here I'm sure you'll find them.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Re: Breeding ball pythons in your home, legal?

There are three aspects that I question from the article I read. One is that the city ordinance banned boas and pythons in 2010. The article was written in 2012. It says that Nellis believes he should have been grandfathered in, but doesn't say whether or not he came forward with his concerns in 2010. The article makes it seem like he was "outed" by a smell complaint and in retrospect thinks that he should be allowed to continue. At the very least, I would hope he voiced his opinion when the ordinance was being established.

Second is the citations. It seems like the biggest concerns (aside from the ordinance itself) were safety related - specifically air quality and fire safety. 300 animals is a lot of heat tape and waste. I'm not sure if he included rodents in that number, but mice smell all day every day even when you're on top of cleaning, and who knows how many particles of bedding and waste are flying around, or what the ventilation is like in his garage. If a neighbor could smell it, that's a bit concerning. I don't breed rats or mice - can someone who does weigh in on this? Then there's the fire safety. Thermostats help, but not when there are six outlet strips and however many thermostats hooked up to one wall outlet. Not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility. Is the house designed to support that set up in a way that meets regulations?

Finally there's the business vs. hobby debate. That many animals (let's say there are 100 snakes) is not the same as having maybe 30 on occasion with a clutch or two a year. There were debates in another thread about this regarding how to report breeding for taxes. If he was profiting from this "hobby" x amount of times in a certain number of years (I think it's something like 3 or 4 times in a 5 year span), it's considered a business and should be reported/taxed as such. If it is a business, that opens you up to the areas business laws. Maybe all businesses need permits to sit in residential areas in Coon Rapids. I don't know those laws, but personally I would find out if I was getting to the point of profiting more often than not.

I feel for the guy, and I would hate to be in that position. But I just don't know from the article whether or not he was proactive about protecting himself, or is looking for loopholes reactively now that he's been caught.

Moral of the story, for me at least, is that if people want to educate others on animals with a bad reputation, they can't have a bad reputation themselves. I'm sure Nellis isn't a bad guy, and I have faith that he is taking care of his collection, but he's in a posi stand tion where he doesn't have ground to on, and it might have been avoided if steps were taken in 2009/2010.

There was a woman who had a decent reptile collection who had to move back to Florida from the Carolinas because of similar issues. But to her credit, she got involved with the HOA and IIRC even the mayor. She didn't win her case, but she did educate a few people along the way. Ultimately, everyone involved in fringe hobbies like exotics must keep themselves informed and manage the risks.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fortunately GA doesn't give a crap. There are no rules for exotics. The only restrictions are owning native species (so no corn snakes) and venomous without a proper license (scientific or education related).
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 06-19-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    - Mason