Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

0 members and 3,051 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Regurgitated Rat

I've had my Male (eddie) since his 2nd shed, he's now 7 years old. I feed him 'when he's hungry', this is when he is more active than usual and takes up position on one of his branches, rather than coiled round his lamp or under his log hide. Usually every 10-14 days or so. I feed either a largeish rat or two chicks. I've never had this problem before:

He was fed earlier this time, 24/12/11, as I was going away for christmas. when I returned,28/12/11, the tank was cooler than normal...mistake with timer switch getting mixed with tree lights (my bad). I took him out and held him a while to warm him a bit. He stayed coiled all this time but I thought nothing of it.

The following morning there was a horrible stench coming from the viv, the large rat had been regurgitated, only the skin had been removed.

I have disinfected the viv and water bowl, had already corrected the Temp, and treated him to some new decor as a get well and christmas pressent.

I assume the rat was not digested properly due to the temp drop and that handling him with a full belly triggered the regurgitation.

Are my assumptions correct? Is there anything else I should do? Thanks in advance.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    sounds like you have nailed it. Of course when dealing with animals (or people for that matter) you never can know for sure. It could have been just random, but most likely it was the temps.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thankyou for the fast reply. Hopefull its the last time that happens, not just for Eddie, it was perhaps the most disgusting thing I've ever had to clear up haha!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Regurgitated Rat

Wait two weeks before feeding him again to allow his stomach time to "reset," or you could have another regurge.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Do not feed him for a minimum of two weeks.

In the meantime, their is a product called Benebac which most major pet stores sell in the bird section. It is a probiotic for both birds and reptiles. I would begin dosing his water with it. When you feed him again, add a light sprinkle to the prey item.

Benebac does a good job in replenishing the beneficial bacteria in the snake's digestive system that can become compromised in a regurge event.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

mattchibi (01-01-2012),snakesRkewl (01-01-2012)

Thanks
    I thought waiting a while would be a good idea, didn't mention it in my initial post though. I'll go and try to find the Benebac tomorrow, got a couple of decent shops near by. Good advice, just what I was hoping for. Thankyou for the reply guys

Thanks
    Benji,

Sorry of the Off topic question, but i noticed you mentioned that you feed your BP chicks. Im exploring feeding my BP chicks myself. Do you feed chicks sometimes and rats others? do you have any issues of your BP just preferring over the other? and is it true that when fed chicks the BP's poo is runnier and smellier than if its fed rats?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    After the 2-3 week wait, offer a wean rat. Nothing bigger for good 2-3 meals till you know hes keeping it down.

Feed the one, then wait 2 weeks, feed another wait 2 weeks. If all is well then go back to your normal routine.

Thanks
    Cool Rich, will do just that. As for feeding chicks goes, it was easier than getting him from mice to rats believe it or not! He had a longer wait between meals than usual as the local pet store had supply issues. Eventually I gave in and bought chicks. The price difference is huge £0.95 for medium rat vs. £0.30 for 2 small chicks. Even so I usually go rat, rat, chicks as I recon he prefers fur over feathers. No big difference in droppings, i use a pooper-scooper so couldn't really comment on consistancy!
    Thanks for your advice guys, only joined today, you've been brilliant!
    Last edited by Benji420; 01-01-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    When would it be safe to start handling again? I'm guessing leave a week after the first small feed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast