Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

3 members and 3,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

**New snake owner** Should I disturb my ball python to feed it?

So I purchased my first snake last week and I just had a question. It has been almost 8 days since I got him/her(not sure yet) and it has been very active, but I haven't really seen it out in the last 24 hours and was just wondering if I should disturb it to offer food. It will be the first time I have tried to feed it since bringing it home.
    Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Whats the setup like, As a snake that is very active is stressed.

One that hides is comfortable with its surroundings.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Give it a shot...I've fed snakes 2 hours after taking them out of a shipping box and they're fine...sounds like he/she may be going into a shed cycle though...most of mine tend to retreat to a hide or back corner when going into shed...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Th snake was probably just stressed in the beggining but if it has been relaxed and gotten comfortable then I don't see any harm in trying. Don't try for an extended period but offer and if it takes it it takes it and if it don't then wait another week and try again. Or sooner if you feel your snake hasn't been over active like 3-4 days later.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

Thanks

Re: **New snake owner** Should I disturb my ball python to feed it?

It currently resides in a 10 gallon tank, which I feel is plenty big enough, as it is only 6 months old and has adequate room to stretch out completely. A larger one will come later.
    I have a temperature gradient of about 78-93F from the cool to warm side, with the humidity sitting around 55-60%.
    Heat is mainly provided by a UTH of appropriate size. There is a sheet of reptile carpet or turf underneath about 2 inches of coconut husk bedding(the same as was in the tank at the store).
    There is a half log hide, leaned up against the warm side surrounded by more bedding, a solid climbing branch, and a vine that goes around the whole upper area of the tank, and a medium size water dish at the cool end. Still working on another hide.
    I do not use a daytime bulb because the room is lit well enough by sunlight, and I use a infrared night bulb at night, and sometimes leave it on during the day is he/she is out and wants to bask, which it has done for quite a few hours this week.

I just want to know if I should wait until it comes out or if I should disturb it for feeding. And any other tips would be helpful too.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    If he's been in there for 8 days and now he's hiding that means he's adjusted and settled in. Try taking him out and feeding him and if he doesnt show interest just put him back into the tank and try again a week later.
    Last edited by Mike41793; 12-29-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    If he's been in there for 8 days and now he's hiding that means he's adjusted and settled in. Try taking him out and feeding him and if he doesnt show interest just put him back into the tank and try again a week later.
    No need to take the snake out of the tank to feed. The description of your setup sounds ok with the noted exception of another hide. I'd say after 8 days, you should be good to go. I would try to feed IN the enclosure and see if he goes. Taking him out to feed does nothing but create unnecessary stress for the snake that could potentially trigger refusals.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    You're doing good. I would try feeding. I always defrost the rodent in a bowl of water on top of the tank. You can also touch your feeding tongs to the defrosting rodent and then place the end of the tongs and the entrance to the hide til you see a nose with flicking tongue peek out. Smelling food before food is offered often gets a great feeding response. They are very instinctual creatures, and smelling prey will put them in hunting mode.

I used shredded coco husk til very recently and it sticks to rodents like crazy. So, I recommend drying the prey with a blowdryer, and placing a paper towel over the substrate. Otherwise, your snake will finish its meal with a mouth full of substrate, which is sooooo frustrating to watch. I don't think it HURTS them... but I don't think it helps either. My girl always got the substrate out by the next day, but I was just over worrying about her getting an intestinal blockage or something, so I switched to astroturf.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily Hubbard For This Useful Post:

MikeJuggles (12-30-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Hubbard View Post
    You're doing good. I would try feeding. I always defrost the rodent in a bowl of water on top of the tank. You can also touch your feeding tongs to the defrosting rodent and then place the end of the tongs and the entrance to the hide til you see a nose with flicking tongue peek out. Smelling food before food is offered often gets a great feeding response. They are very instinctual creatures, and smelling prey will put them in hunting mode.

I used shredded coco husk til very recently and it sticks to rodents like crazy. So, I recommend drying the prey with a blowdryer, and placing a paper towel over the substrate. Otherwise, your snake will finish its meal with a mouth full of substrate, which is sooooo frustrating to watch. I don't think it HURTS them... but I don't think it helps either. My girl always got the substrate out by the next day, but I was just over worrying about her getting an intestinal blockage or something, so I switched to astroturf.
    My substrate is exactly why I have a feeding tub. Plus I feed live so the mice can pick up substrate just from running around in their last moments.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VEXER19 For This Useful Post:

MikeJuggles (12-30-2011)

Thanks

imo, you should never feed on a paper towel, this snake died in the process of accidentally swallowing a paper towel that was stuck to the rodent (not my snake, pulled from google):

a little bit of substrate isnt going to hurt your snake, unless theres alot, or theres large peices, but small bits of coco wont hurt them at all
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast