Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,328

2 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

First BP Coming Home Tonight!

While at the in-laws for Christmas, my family was presented with an opportunity to adopt a nine-year-old normal BP. He's a beautiful creature and we're thrilled to be taking him in; his current owner has been forced to give him up due to a move.

I have experience with a range of reptiles, but only secondary experience (caring for them part-time in school, for owners who were going out of town, etc...) with BPs. We'll be bringing his set-up home, along with him, later tonight - I realize this isn't optimal, as we'll have to adjust his environment to our home while he's living in it, but we weren't given much choice. We've only a half-hour drive between homes, and I intend to transport him in a dark-colored pillow case on my lap to keep him safe, secure and warm for the trip.

Anyone have any tips on making the move, and the adjustment to the new house, as stress-free as possible for him?

Thanks
    Depending on the cleanliness of the enclosure, I wouldn't clean it until he has been in your place for about a week unless it's really in need of a cleaning. This way, he/she has all his 'normal' things right where he left them, with only a different view out of the front of the tank.

It's not a big deal either way, it's just something you could do that would possibly reduce the stress.

Other than that, everything sounds like you have most under control. Be sure to check out the Ball-Python-(Python-regius)-Caresheet if you haven't already. Congrats on your new friend and WELCOME to BP.net =)
    0.1 Normal Octavia 1765g

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RichL For This Useful Post:

weofui (12-28-2011)

Thanks

Re: First BP Coming Home Tonight!

the half hour car ride is no problem in a pillow case. not sure of your location, but keep the car temps warm. take off your coats while in the car so you can make it warmer for your snake. and warm the car up before putting the snake in their if its cold where you're at. if it's cold, place him under your coat from the house to the car. breeders travel to reptile shows even when it's cold out. you don't want to have a reptile breathing in cold air even if it's for a short period of time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to don15681 For This Useful Post:

weofui (12-28-2011)

Thanks

Thank you both for your advice. We kept the car running with the heat on while we loaded up the tank, and kept the snake in the house until we were ready to go - the whole transfer went off without a hitch, though he was certainly happy to get out of the pillowcase. *laughs*

Luckily, his previous caretaker had just cleaned the tank last week after he finished his last shed so it won't be any problem leaving it relatively untouched until he's acclimated. All told, he seems quite content.

Thanks again!

Thanks

Congratulations! Post plenty of pictures when you can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erotiq View Post
    Congratulations! Post plenty of pictures when you can!
    Thanks! We've decided to name him Jackson, in honor of Samuel L. Jackson's inspired performance in the classic Snakes on a Plane.

I'd be happy to post some pics... but the forum seems rather unimpressed with my blog's URL - it insists on censoring it, rendering the links useless.

So... um... the blog link is: daisiesandPOOP.com/dsblog/2011/12/28/a-funny-thing-happened-at-the-in-laws ... with the underlined "poop" bit replaced by the grown-up word. Yeesh. *laughs*