Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

4 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

Odd bit of advise from a breeder, need opinions on the accuracy of this info.

Ok, so my husband the wannabe ball python breeding expert got into a conversation with a fairly large local breeder at the last show. Now, this man has a lot of ball pythons, and always has a steady supply of very nice babies, so he HAS to be doing something right. He's been breeding for many years now, and is well respected in the business, especially here locally.

His advise to my husband, which I am having a hard time with, was to pop his male/males before putting them in with a female, each time and every time, and the purpose of this popping is to remove the sperm plugs. He claims if you do not so this, your success rate for fertile eggs will be much lower than if you do. He claims it's a big "breeder secret" that all the bigger people know and use but don't tell anyone about. He says the plugs prevent transfer of sperm, resulting in low fertility rates.

I have my doubts about this information. In the first place, I can't see bigger breeders taking the time to pop a dozen or two dozen males each and every time they pair them. Not to mention, the bigger the male the harder it is to pop them. But now my husband is convinced if we don't do this, we'll never get the number of babies we should. I think it's a waste of time, and since he can't pop and I can this slightly nasty task falls to me.

Can anyone verify or disprove this information ? Has anyone ever bothered to do this for an entire season ?

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 12-23-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Odd bit of advise from a breeder, need opinions on the accuracy of this info.

Hi,

I'm intrested to hear peoples opinions on this - I know I don't intentionally so that I can pop them when removing. If I see a sperm plug I tend to assume they didn't do anything.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Hmm that is an interesting thought. I've never done that. But I also haven't seen high numbers of
    Slugs. If I was seeing high numbers of slugs maybe is think a little more about it. I would think that the plugs would remove themselves during courting, and also copulation.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

piedplus (12-24-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I do this to remove dried plugs, But not needed. as when they drag their hemis around scenting the plugs come off.

When i do this i use it to wipe on females back. But not doing it wont make your odds low

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

piedplus (12-24-2011)

Thanks

Re: Odd bit of advise from a breeder, need opinions on the accuracy of this info.

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    I do this to remove dried plugs, But not needed. as when they drag their hemis around scenting the plugs come off.

When i do this i use it to wipe on females back. But not doing it wont make your odds low
    I've never thought of this before! Would wiping a strong breeders plugs onto a female paired with a lazy male help him breed?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dart View Post
    I've never thought of this before! Would wiping a strong breeders plugs onto a female paired with a lazy male help him breed?

Yes it does.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

muddoc (12-26-2011)

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dart View Post
    yep.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    This sounds a bit silly to me. While I've had some females reabsorb follicles, I've only had one female ever slug out, and one partial slug clutch. In 5 years, that's all. The rest of my clutches have been entirely fertile, with just the occasional single slug here and there. I've never mucked around with my males like that before pairing them--it sounds stressful for them. I know they certainly don't enjoy being popped, and doing it so often is likely to cause discomfort.

I have heard the trick about wiping a good breeder's sperm onto a female to inspire a lazy male, but haven't had the opportunity to try it, yet--I've never had a lazy male.

"Sperm plug" isn't really right, anyhow. In general, a sperm plug is something you would find in a female, after a male has bred with her, and its purpose is to block other males from successfully copulating. Ball pythons don't produce sperm plugs. The little stringy things the male produces are just bits of dried and partially dried semen caught in the hemipenal pockets, they aren't plugging anything.
    I know it's in common use--perhaps the mistaken use of the term has confused a few people.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (12-24-2011),Anya (01-06-2012),Jessica Loesch (12-24-2011),KatStoverReptiles (12-24-2011),piedplus (12-24-2011),Steve-J (12-24-2011),Wapadi (12-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    "Sperm plug" isn't really right, anyhow. In general, a sperm plug is something you would find in a female, after a male has bred with her, and its purpose is to block other males from successfully copulating. Ball pythons don't produce sperm plugs. The little stringy things the male produces are just bits of dried and partially dried semen caught in the hemipenal pockets, they aren't plugging anything.
    I know it's in common use--perhaps the mistaken use of the term has confused a few people.
    I thought I just read a post recently that explained the same misconception, but rather than dried sperm it was said that the things that people were commonly calling "sperm plugs" were hemipene casts, like a shed from the hemipene. I can't recall exactly which post that was in, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the impression (no pun intended) that I got . Does anyone else recall that conversation or have any info on whether there is such a thing as a hemipene cast?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I actually saw a sperm plug wedged inside of my het lavender female's vent after a particularly intense session with her boyfriend last season. I assumed it was probably a good thing, since it was probably carrying some extra sperm. Plus it proved that the boy knew what he was doing. The female went on to lay five beautiful fertile eggs.

...Buuuut this is only my second season, and that was a 2007 pair. That het lavender boy was going crazy the previous winters waiting for his girlfriend to come up to size, so I think he was really out to succeed.

I might try that plug-on-the-back-of-the-female trick with my pewter and het pied pair! I'm getting tired of watching them ignore each other.
    -Jackie Monk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to loonunit For This Useful Post:

piedplus (12-24-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast