Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

2 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: advice please

Thanks

advice please

i think i messed up, i feed my bp live mice in his enclosure. i fed him on tuesday and today i went to give him water and as soon as i opened the top he came flying out of his hide in the s position ready to eat...i was scared to even grab the water dish. Ive never seen him be that aggressive before unless theres a mouse inside the tank. should i start taking him out of the enclosure to feed him? also since he ate on tuesday isnt it a little early for him to be looking for another meal?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    No, he's probably just hungry. Why don't you try feeding him again? He may need a larger prey size...
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    hes like maybe 25-26 inches long about 3-4 inches around at the fattest part i give him medium sized mice, he sucks them down, a couple weeks ago i gave him a large mouse it took him almost 10 minutes to get it down so i figured it was too much for him and went back to mediums

Thanks

Re: advice please

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    No, he's probably just hungry. Why don't you try feeding him again? He may need a larger prey size...
    X2 he sounds hungry I feed in my enclosure and havent had an issue that wasn't my fault
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    It sounds like you need to up your prey size. 10 minutes is not a long time for a snake to eat. My snake is smaller than yours and she is currently on adult mice and I plan on switching her to rats within the next couple shed cycles, she is about to outgrow mice.

The prey should be as big around at the hips as the widest part of the snake. A lot of people underfeed because that size comparison looks so impossible, but it's not, snakes' jaws are amazing. I would say your snake has long outgrown mice.

I feed in the enclosure too and I only get struck at if I reach in there on feeding day. I try to change water the day before I feed for that reason.

I suggest upping prey size. It is normal for them to take 10+ minutes to get food down. It should leave a little bulge too. My snake disappears for 2 days after she eats, crawls into her warm hide and sleeps it off, I won't even see her unless I crouch down with a flashlight. I don't even open the glass during this time, it is her private time. Remember to not handle your snake for 48 hours after it eats.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emily Hubbard For This Useful Post:

deathfromabove (12-24-2011),Missy_Misfit (12-23-2011)

Thanks
    Not sure how old your avatar pic is but it looks skinny... feed it more!
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
    Not sure how old your avatar pic is but it looks skinny... feed it more!

yeah thats when i first got him back in may from a pet shop hes MUCH bigger now ill post a pick if you want

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Hubbard View Post
    It sounds like you need to up your prey size. 10 minutes is not a long time for a snake to eat. My snake is smaller than yours and she is currently on adult mice and I plan on switching her to rats within the next couple shed cycles, she is about to outgrow mice.

The prey should be as big around at the hips as the widest part of the snake. A lot of people underfeed because that size comparison looks so impossible, but it's not, snakes' jaws are amazing. I would say your snake has long outgrown mice.

I feed in the enclosure too and I only get struck at if I reach in there on feeding day. I try to change water the day before I feed for that reason.

I suggest upping prey size. It is normal for them to take 10+ minutes to get food down. It should leave a little bulge too. My snake disappears for 2 days after she eats, crawls into her warm hide and sleeps it off, I won't even see her unless I crouch down with a flashlight. I don't even open the glass during this time, it is her private time. Remember to not handle your snake for 48 hours after it eats.
    Ive seen adult mice and there alot bigger than him when it come to width i really dont see him eating it well actually i know hell eat it but its going to take him a while and i just dont feel right giving him that big of a meal im scared its going to hurt him, which i know is stupid to say cuz in the wild they dont pick what size prey they eat, but if something happened to him cuz i fed him something to big i wouldnt forgive myself, ive grown really attached to him over the last 7 months lol