Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

0 members and 3,244 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Should I Try Live? (rats)

Hi all!

I am taking care of an irian jaya carpet python (named goerge harrison) for a buddy of mine. Before I picked up george he was being kept in a bin, and apparently "never had a problem with feeding, and would take f/t rats directly off the tongs"

I've been keeping him in a nice 2X2 PVC enclosure with a perch, but cannot get him to eat for the life of me. It's been over a month of offering f/t on tongs once a week along with minimal handling. He is NOT in shed, and he wanders around his cage at night seemingly like he's searching for food.

when i picked him up he was nice and healthy size-wise. he's still at a healthy looking weight but he's not as plump and healthy looking as he was a month ago.

I hate not seeing him eat, and I DO have permission to try live, any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    -kyle

Thanks

Re: Should I Try Live? (rats)

Yes, I would try live. Once he is established again, you can try to switch him back to f/t. Good luck.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

akjadlnfkjfdkladf (12-21-2011)

Thanks

Re: Should I Try Live? (rats)

Along with my list of bps, I also have a yearling jcp who is on f/t rats. Have you tried feeding him in his original enclosure? How are you warming up the rat? With my jcp, I have to really heat those rats up way more than for my bps. Even after the warming up process, I dangle the rat between the top of enclosure and the lid and he sniffs around and analyzes the heck out of it before he takes it his from his perch. I have never feed any of my pythons live but would take a guess once you switch over to live it my be difficult to go back to f/t. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mandalorian For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know for a fact it is not how the rat is prepared. I've tried soaking for hours and hitting them with a blow dryer. I even asked goerge's owner how he prepares rats and replicated it. (only soaking for a half hour and offer immediately after) - no success

i do not have access to bins or goerge's original enclosure, but i have tried him out in a smaller PVC cage (1' X 2') with no success.
    -kyle

Thanks
    Well keep in mind like an reptile they take time to acclimate to a new enclosure. It sounds like George is still a little stressed from his move. It's only been a month and provided your husbandry is correct. I would t worry too much about it. I think he's just taking his time to assure himself that this is his home and he is safe. Keep offering, I would switch to live though as well that way if he doesn't eat it you can keep the rat around for another week and try again. Live also sometimes gives them the little jump they need to get going. Be patient hell come around.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I offered live and he took it right away.

Thanks for the suggestions and input!
    -kyle