Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,425

0 members and 2,425 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Antibiotic question

This isn't a question that is about how to give antibiotics or even dosages, but a question if one names is the same as another. I searched and found nothing but before I pay a arm and a leg to know if the antibiotics is the same I need some info please everyone!

I've read countless times that Baytril Is the best antibiotic for RI's.. well I talked this over with my vet and she has told me twice that ceftazidime is just another name for it. Well since 2 sets haven't cleared up anything besides his "cottage cheese" like throat and he still slobers I really need some answers people.. I have two other juveniles on the same medicine as well and I can't be kept in loops.. if the info I received is wrong then I found a vet in my town that can see and prescribe medicine, and from what I was told not only did he get "my" Burmese over mouth rot but also a severe RI.

Thank you guys in advance.. the truth from you guys will help me decide my next course of action...
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Antibiotic question

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    This isn't a question that is about how to give antibiotics or even dosages, but a question if one names is the same as another. I searched and found nothing but before I pay a arm and a leg to know if the antibiotics is the same I need some info please everyone!

I've read countless times that Baytril Is the best antibiotic for RI's.. well I talked this over with my vet and she has told me twice that ceftazidime is just another name for it. Well since 2 sets haven't cleared up anything besides his "cottage cheese" like throat and he still slobers I really need some answers people.. I have two other juveniles on the same medicine as well and I can't be kept in loops.. if the info I received is wrong then I found a vet in my town that can see and prescribe medicine, and from what I was told not only did he get "my" Burmese over mouth rot but also a severe RI.

Thank you guys in advance.. the truth from you guys will help me decide my next course of action...

Ceftazidime is not Baytril. A simple Google search would yield that answer, would it not? Ceftazidime is a cephalosporin, Baytril is a fluoroquinolone.

It's time to get a new vet.

There is no "best" antibiotic for an RI. RIs are caused by different bacteria and these bacteria have susceptibilities to different antibiotics. The best antibiotic is the one that works on the specific bacteria causing the infection in your snake.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-18-2011),kitedemon (12-19-2011),zeion97 (12-17-2011)

Thanks
    Vet needs to go back to school, srs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2kdime For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (12-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Ceftazidime is not Baytril. A simple Google search would yield that ansswer, would it not? Ceftazidime is a cephalosporin, Baytril is a fluoroquinolone.

It's time to get a new vet.

There is no "best" antibiotic for an RI. RIs are caused by different bacteria and these bacteria have susceptibilities to different antibiotics. The best antibiotic is the one that works on the specific bacteria causing the infection in your snake.
    Thank you skip. To be honest, when it comes to medication I always ask. I have no idea so I'd rather not make a simple mistake that could turn into a very.. had argument..

I also apologize if this question seems stupid, I just want to make sure what I was told was true, which I assumed wasn't..

To the best antibiotic...I again apologize, I shouldn't have said that either. Seeing as how my snakes has been ceftazidime for almost 2 months I'm freaking out..

I thank you yet again. I called the vet earlier and they verified thy take snakes, I am going to call Monday and attempt to schedule a apportionment.

Again, I apologize and thank you.. (wow, I say both of those a lot....)
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    Vet needs to go back to school, srs
    I agree.. I've been up in the air with her since day one when she had a DOG assistant hold poor Isildur down and almost killed him. (To this..) I've said multiple times I'd hold but she wouldn't let me for liability...I understand that somewhat" but it seems a bit overboard... to be honest I've put up with it only Because the other vet I couldn't reach, and once I reached them said they couldn't take me till mid March, (unless I paid for a emergency walk in)

I learned about this vet actually last night and I'm quite glad I posted, Because now I know for sure I've been lied to..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    Thank you skip. To be honest, when it comes to medication I always ask. I have no idea so I'd rather not make a simple mistake that could turn into a very.. had argument..

I also apologize if this question seems stupid, I just want to make sure what I was told was true, which I assumed wasn't..

To the best antibiotic...I again apologize, I shouldn't have said that either. Seeing as how my snakes has been ceftazidime for almost 2 months I'm freaking out..

I thank you yet again. I called the vet earlier and they verified thy take snakes, I am going to call Monday and attempt to schedule a apportionment.

Again, I apologize and thank you.. (wow, I say both of those a lot....)
    No need to apologize.

Get into another vet ASAP. Make sure you give that vet the full run down on what you've been prescribed and what you've been told.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (12-19-2011)

Thanks
    you know I sitting here thinking it a shame we don't h ave a sticky with a list of reptile meds and what they used to. I got a perfect example is the ball python I am currently treating on Baytril for an infection but the swelling is going down but slower than I figure it would since she had 4 injections at .15 ml eacjh dose for a 2400 gram snake.

To op look and ask questiongs and if any thing else make note ( or record them ) and do extra research. Some times the reason the one not busy can be casue they not the best in the area.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (12-19-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    you know I sitting here thinking it a shame we don't h ave a sticky with a list of reptile meds and what they used to. I got a perfect example is the ball python I am currently treating on Baytril for an infection but the swelling is going down but slower than I figure it would since she had 4 injections at .15 ml eacjh dose for a 2400 gram snake.

To op look and ask questiongs and if any thing else make note ( or record them ) and do extra research. Some times the reason the one not busy can be casue they not the best in the area.
    Its taking long as the dosage is too little for that size female.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (12-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    To my mind a good vet will listen to you. You know the animal better than they do they will take the time to explain what they are doing and why and will ask for your help and question you about the animal.

Ceftazidime is a newer antibiotic as we know from human medicine bacteria become resistant to antibiotics and they need to be changed up fairly often to be effective. The treatment systems vets typically use are broad spectrum antibiotics where they are guessing and hoping that it will work on the particular bug. Pointed ones where the exact bug is tested and known and an exact match to best combat it can be found. It is best to know thine enemy.

Never be self conscious about asking questions! Do not regret that you failed to ask something when you should have. Multiple sources too don't just blindly take my or anyone else's word for something back it up with a second and third source.

Good luck with your snake! Make sure you trace down the possible issues that may or may not have made the RI appear in the first place as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (12-20-2011)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Antibiotic question

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    To my mind a good vet will listen to you. You know the animal better than they do they will take the time to explain what they are doing and why and will ask for your help and question you about the animal.

Ceftazidime is a newer antibiotic as we know from human medicine bacteria become resistant to antibiotics and they need to be changed up fairly often to be effective. The treatment systems vets typically use are broad spectrum antibiotics where they are guessing and hoping that it will work on the particular bug. Pointed ones where the exact bug is tested and known and an exact match to best combat it can be found. It is best to know thine enemy.

Never be self conscious about asking questions! Do not regret that you failed to ask something when you should have. Multiple sources too don't just blindly take my or anyone else's word for something back it up with a second and third source.

Good luck with your snake! Make sure you trace down the possible issues that may or may not have made the RI appear in the first place as well.
    Isildur (the snake) had to of already been sick, just when we bought him showed no signs...2 days later he was slobbering. I will add some good news our juveniles (which are on the antibiotic as well) have almost cleared up. 1 more shot. (Knocks on wood) I did contact the vet today and he is supposed to be in tomorrow so we can talk.

To our vet.. we have 3 snakes that see vets. 1 I didn't know about Because he doesn't post it. The other two post it but take in ALOT of money off of it. The one I see now I have never liked and never will. The other, I tried to steer clear Because of horror stories I heard about them...

I have been reviewing all the info everyone gave me throught all the post along with my current vets notes and I will present it to him in person if I can Ans go from there.. thank You everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast