Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

3 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid project

Saint Albans, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks
    I was a burmese and reticulated python hybrid. It's called a bateater. Search for bateater snake on google and you'll see it. Good luck with your hybrid en devour. I personally think hybrids are a treasure trove of potential.
    Current Pets

1.0 Ball Python - Twist
    1.0 Ball Python - Houdini
    0.1 brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hateful
    1.0 Red Tail Boa - King
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python - Pandora
    0.1 Calico cat - Sweetie

Saint Albans, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

Re: Hybrid project

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Why would someone not like hybrids? Personally i think it would be really cool, not even just in snakes but in any species. As long as the person doing it was responsible and kept records of all of the breedings to actually make it legitimate then i dont see why someone would have a problem with it? If someone could tell me why, without ripping my head off lol, would appreciate it
    Mostly it's because you have your breeders who dont believe that it's natural and that the hybrids produced are "mutts" which is true because they have mixed genes and not pure bred. I think it's silly really. If you're against hybrids, dont enter the threads just to troll the people who do like it. Just my two cents.
    Current Pets

1.0 Ball Python - Twist
    1.0 Ball Python - Houdini
    0.1 brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hateful
    1.0 Red Tail Boa - King
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python - Pandora
    0.1 Calico cat - Sweetie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twist For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Also some people have fears that one person will end up being irresponsible and sell a hybrid animal as a true ball python and end up muddying up the genes and screwing over everyone else, until it's 'almost impossible to find a pure bloodline animal', which I still don't see happening honestly. I can see a few mix ups happening, maybe. But we've already seen that a lot of hybrids have enough trouble producing a single successful clutch and end up with a lot of slugs, I can't imagine them over populating and taking over the ball python world. If I had a weird 'dinker' that didn't quite act like a ball python, ended up slugging out most of the time, and just had some weird quirks(personality wise, size wise, care wise), or even had a suspicious or unknown background... I'd probably start seeing if it was a very subtle hybrid!

I've followed hybrid breeding only forums before just to see.. Not many successful clutches seem to go on there, even when they know the breeding had been successful before. Hybrids are challenging to make, not something a beginner is likely to have much success with.

It's possible of course, and I can see where people are concerned. But with how huge the ball python world is (and how many people won't buy from anyone they don't even know very well) I think most lines of BPs will be safe. Maybe picking up a dinker on craigslist will be a gamble--but with unknown care, chances of illnesses, and of course the fact that the dinker might not ever prove out isn't it already a gamble?

I can really see both sides, I just don't get worked up about it. People breeding hybrids should be very careful and record everything. People who don't want hybrids should keep an eye out and just be knowledgeable and they'll be able to avoid them. But I don't think it's good to push those breeding hybrids further into the dark. That could end up simply making records even harder to find as they won't post them online or else they'd be scolded and their reputation would be shot. We don't want hybrids becoming an underground thing. THAT'S how the whole zombie snake hybrid apocalypse would start, I swear.
    Last edited by purplemuffin; 12-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (12-20-2011)

Thanks

just as an update, i have replaced my first male pied with a second male pied. i dident notice any locks with the first pairings. also, im continuing with the 6 hours of daylight, and i have taken away the hot spot. the temp in the enclosure is 77/78*f.
    i understand (from learning in this thread) that conditioning blood pythons is a year long process,, so hopefuly ill just get lucky this year with a few months of conditioning. if anything,, im gaining info for next year.
    spooky

Thanks

Do you have a way of scenting the BP with a male blood? Maube it would make her more interrested?
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks
    Maybe i am not getting something right. With the recessive gene. You will breed the pied with the blood in hopes of a piedsuper. But you wont want to hold back a superball het pied female and breed her back to the male pied ball because that will make more of a ball python look and like 50% blood.
    or if you bred the babies back to each other then you will get some blood with slight ball python look and vise versa.

I am just thinking it might be a hard project because in my head. The only way to get that pied in the blood would be to make an F2 or 50% blood ball python. Which might or could be mistaken for a full pied ball. More look of a ball python but with a bigger belly and not as around head. It just wont give a look of a real super ball.

BTW: We have super balls in the reptile shop i am working in now and they are cheaper then i thought. But they have an attitude of the bloods for sure.
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I was a burmese and reticulated python hybrid. It's called a bateater. Search for bateater snake on google and you'll see it. Good luck with your hybrid en devour. I personally think hybrids are a treasure trove of potential.
    Bateaters have got to be some of the most beautiful snakes I've ever seen. Boy would I love one of those!

@Spooky- I'll definitely be following this project. Good luck!

- Nakita

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (12-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmack91 View Post
    Do you have a way of scenting the BP with a male blood? Maube it would make her more interrested?
    yes, i do.. i am using sheds of male blood python, and of a female ball python.
    also, im taking used substrate papers from each and puting in the enclosure too.
    spooky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkeye714 View Post
    Maybe i am not getting something right. With the recessive gene. You will breed the pied with the blood in hopes of a piedsuper. But you wont want to hold back a superball het pied female and breed her back to the male pied ball because that will make more of a ball python look and like 50% blood.
    or if you bred the babies back to each other then you will get some blood with slight ball python look and vise versa.

I am just thinking it might be a hard project because in my head. The only way to get that pied in the blood would be to make an F2 or 50% blood ball python. Which might or could be mistaken for a full pied ball. More look of a ball python but with a bigger belly and not as around head. It just wont give a look of a real super ball.

BTW: We have super balls in the reptile shop i am working in now and they are cheaper then i thought. But they have an attitude of the bloods for sure.
    if im understanding what your saying,, you are right. if i do get lucky enough to breed my blood with my BP, i will then have superballs (F1) het for pied.
    if i breed a female F1 back to a pied this will deviate form what im looking for,, and yes, it would probabaly look more like a BP than a "superball".
    but,, if i take a female F1 (het for pied) and breed it to a male F1 (het for pied),,, then the F2 stands a chance of being a visual pied superball.
    as long as you breed "superballs"X "superballs" there going to be superballs. if you start breeding superballs back to the origional species, thell start resembling the origional species. this is one of the main concerns that people have with hybrids..
    hope iv made some sence.
    spooky

Thanks
    i was thinking about trying to do this but i wasnt sure if it was possible or what would happen. i didnt want some flying-monkey-bats coming out or something. good luck, this is very cool.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mpkeelee For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (12-24-2011)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast