Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

0 members and 3,387 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

"Rescue" + Housing

Ok, so it's only kind of a rescue, i feel like it was though, and that is the only reason i bought her. I was at petco, and they actually keep their cresties setup very nice, a little overcrowded but that's almost expected from a chain. Anyway, they had lots of babies, all very nice looking and WITH tails, however there was an older one in there (that i think is female) and she was tail-less. They had asked me to adopt her before when i bought my first crestie and i said no. She was still there when i went back today and felt i needed to buy her, with lots of cute little babies that had tails, i just felt like she didn't have much of a chance, She also looked absolutely pitiful.

So that brings me to my questions, i have my first crestie in a 10 gallon. He is about 6 grams, she is about 17. They were already living together before so there is no need for quarantine, can they live together or is the size difference going to be a big deal? The only problem i have heard of is tail-nipping and i'm not too worried about her doing that as she was the only tail-less one in the store. So she obviously hadn't been nipping anybodies tails there.

Here's a pic of her, she if very grey colored but i love it

Zeke - Facebook

2.2 Ball Pythons
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    you should still quarantine her because she was living with other younger geckos and you don't know if they passed anything to her.

You should really keep them in separate cages unless you are breeding. If there is a size difference the bigger one, or more powerful one will beat up the other, the tail is not the only place they can bite and hurt each other at.

she is very pretty and im sure that she appreciates being take away from the other babies
    Lena

9.15 ball pythons
    1.1 boas Tarzan, Ziva
    0.2 cats
    1 Fab Rat terrier- Roxy

1 G. Pulchra- Phoebe
    1. A. Avic- Sheiba
    1 B. Smithi
    1 Chaco Golden Knee

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LaFilleClochette For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (12-15-2011)

Thanks

Re: "Rescue" + Housing

Quote Originally Posted by LaFilleClochette View Post
    you should still quarantine her because she was living with other younger geckos and you don't know if they passed anything to her.

You should really keep them in separate cages unless you are breeding. If there is a size difference the bigger one, or more powerful one will beat up the other, the tail is not the only place they can bite and hurt each other at.

she is very pretty and im sure that she appreciates being take away from the other babies
    I'm pretty sure they haven't added any, it looked like the same group (minus a few) from before. So i'm not worried about illness.

ok, well i will probably keep them in same enclosure for the night and then go out and buy a kritter keeper for my baby crestie.

Thanks!
    Zeke - Facebook

2.2 Ball Pythons
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LaFilleClochette View Post

I agree ^

The addiction begins!

Nice new addition, they are hard to say no to. It would be helpful to know the sex to see a picture of the base of the tail, males have a pretty obvious bulge by 17 grams. I also would not be housing two geckos of different size together. For your 6 gram I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 24 qt tall tub (the same tubs I am currently using for my leachies). A 10 gallon tank can sometimes be a bit much for a small crestie, but it doesn't seem like yours has had any problems. Congrats!
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EverEvolvingExotics For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (12-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    The addiction begins!

Nice new addition, they are hard to say no to. It would be helpful to know the sex to see a picture of the base of the tail, males have a pretty obvious bulge by 17 grams. I also would not be housing two geckos of different size together. For your 6 gram I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 24 qt tall tub (the same tubs I am currently using for my leachies). A 10 gallon tank can sometimes be a bit much for a small crestie, but it doesn't seem like yours has had any problems. Congrats!
    I'm almost positive it's a female, she had no bulge as far as i could see. I'll head back to the pet store tomorrow to pick up something for my little one. Maybe some 5.5 gallons they have there.. but the small kritter keepers work too don't they? And yea he's been fine, he absolutely LOVES crickets. I've been trying to get him to eat CGD but idk how much he has taken to it. However after a few days of him not eating crickets he ate 2 as soon as i dropped 3 in so i gave him like 2 more and i think he ate 4 or 5 within a few minutes.

They seem fine together so far, so they should be fine for the night, like I said, they have already lived together, and none of the other babies looked hurt in any way so I'm really not worried. They are also in my room so I've been checking on them pretty frequently. But i'll give my new one the 10 gallon tomorrow and downgrade my baby crested. I'm waiting for christmas to see if i get any vivs or anything for them and if not i'll upgrade the bigger girl to a zilla (or is it zoo med? anyway the ones like you have eel) and then move the smaller one back to the 10 gallon.
    Zeke - Facebook

2.2 Ball Pythons
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    oops... didn't mean to post again...
    Last edited by Ezekiel285; 12-15-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Zeke - Facebook

2.2 Ball Pythons
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    I would ensure both of them are eating the CGD. Insects are great for getting them to gain weight but are far from a complete source of nutrition. I always feed fresh CGD every other day until I notice they are pooping regularly, then I feed insects once weekly along with their CGD. They eat very small amounts, sometimes its hard to tell if they've been eating. Sometimes the only way to know is by seeing the little turds, especially with smaller geckos.

I've never bought a KK so I'm not too sure on what the different sizes are. I always stick to tubs for hatchlings-sub adults. 6qts for small hatchlings up to 8 grams then I move them into a 16 or 24qt tub until they reach anywhere from 15-20 grams, then into the display enclosure of at least 10 gallons, but I think the R-Zilla Atrium is around 18 gallons which is perfect in my eyes for a single crestie or gargoyle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EverEvolvingExotics For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (12-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    I would ensure both of them are eating the CGD. Insects are great for getting them to gain weight but are far from a complete source of nutrition. I always feed fresh CGD every other day until I notice they are pooping regularly, then I feed insects once weekly along with their CGD. They eat very small amounts, sometimes its hard to tell if they've been eating. Sometimes the only way to know is by seeing the little turds, especially with smaller geckos.

I've never bought a KK so I'm not too sure on what the different sizes are. I always stick to tubs for hatchlings-sub adults. 6qts for small hatchlings up to 8 grams then I move them into a 16 or 24qt tub until they reach anywhere from 15-20 grams, then into the display enclosure of at least 10 gallons, but I think the R-Zilla Atrium is around 18 gallons which is perfect in my eyes for a single crestie or gargoyle.
    That's a good thought about the CGD. I have them separated now (small one in a KK and bigger one in the 10 gallon) so i will stop feeding them crickets until I know for sure they are on the CGD. I'll post pictures of the setups later but i'm not really worried about them, they are only temporary anyway. Thanks for all the help!
    Zeke - Facebook

2.2 Ball Pythons
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    I'm sure they will both end up with quality enclosures. I'll be looking for their setup pics.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EverEvolvingExotics For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (12-16-2011)