Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

1 members and 3,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: Woe is Feeding

Thanks

Woe is Feeding

I have a 4 month old BP who is having some feeding issues...I've had him since October and he has yet to eat twice in a row on a consistent schedule (as in on the same day of the week 2 weeks in a row). I can't figure out what's wrong. His temps are fine (88-92 on the hot side, 80-85 ambient), he has plenty of hiding places, water, etc...
    On saturday, he struck and seemed like he was about to eat, but dropped the rat after about 5 minutes and didn't pick it up again. I tried again today and he seemed interested, but no strike :/ Help is much appreciated...I'm slightly worried about the little guy.

Thanks
    What's it in when feeding? Sometimes a big space can bug them. Try a smaller feed box. And don't watch him, he may see you moving and get sceare.
    I want one I need one got to rob that bank one day

1.1 albino ball, 0.3 het caramel, 1.1 spider, 0.1 mojo, 1.0 lesser, 2.2 pastel
    1.0 yb, 1.0 fire, 1.0 bell orange ghost, 0.1 pin, 1.0 josey, 1.2 leopard ball
    0.8 normal balls, 1.1 BRB, 1.3 Hondo, 1.1 hypo brooks, 1.1 brooks (hets ?)
    0.1 mex black king, 3.5 western hogs/albino/yellow/hets.

Thanks
    I assume your feeding F/T?

I would try live to get him on a regular schedule then swap back to F/T or P/K when he is eating consistently.

Also, if you are feeding F/T, make sure that you are heating the rat/mouse up enough and that it is thawed all the way through. Biggest thing I could suggest, is just try something different. If you are thawing in water, then either slow thaw on the counter, or dry the rat first. Make sure your not offering too big or too small of a meal. You could try mice instead of rats.

BP's can be picky eaters. Sometimes it just take finding out what they like to get them to eat consistently.
    0.1 Normal Octavia 1765g

Thanks
    I have shared my feeding routine before, but glad to help again! It's all about learning what works for your snake!

I feed f/t and I defrost them in a bowl of warm water on top of the tank. That way, my snake smells it within a few minutes and starts looking for it. I will also will poke and prod the rodent with my feeding tongs a few times while it's defrosting and then place the tongs a few inches from my snake's nose. Her tongue goes crazy and this will usually really get her going.

I also blow dry my rodents after they are defrosted to get them good and hot. I blow-dry til the fur is fluffy, no wet left. My girl responds to it best that way.

I have just found that exposing my snake with the smell 20 or so minutes before the prey is offered gives a fantastic feeding response. I learned this after a few insanely frustrating feeds where I could not get her to strike for anything. It goes great every time now, and she gets to spend time actively "hunting" for the food. I think anything that triggers a wild response in them must be good.

Just try different things until you find the combo that gets a good response. Some people luck out and get an easy snake and some snakes just insist on being difficult.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    strike and drop sounds like either temp of the rat or security. You might try warmer rats (I actually measure the head and belly of them yup OCD, I try for 94 belly and 100 head) I leave mine in the fridge over night and then in the snake room 20 min before feeding and then hit the head with a hair drier. I am not a fan of wet dead rats so I don't use water. That is preference on my part.

Security is a bit trickier maybe a plant or something the gives 'sky cover' and an extra hide or two smaller just at the point of too small. The other thing is offer in reduced light, a darkened room just bright enough you can see what you are doing. Hopefully this helps.