Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

0 members and 2,843 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tegu talk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the info! Ill be sure to look into that stuff. Don't they sell ground turkey? Or is it more expensive than it would be to buy a full one and grind it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Tegu talk

Quote Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info! Ill be sure to look into that stuff. Don't they sell ground turkey? Or is it more expensive than it would be to buy a full one and grind it?

It's better to get the extra lean ground turkey. If you just ground up a whole turkey yourself you'd end up with too much fat for a healthy diet. A couple things to note, tegus grow super fast so are that much more prone to MBD. Proper diet and lighting is very important with these guys. You really don't have to worry about them getting obese when they're growing. I'll feed a young tegu until they look like they're about to burst and the next day they'll appear half starved. You should offer food daily(as much as they'll eat in 1-2 sittings) until they get to the subadult/adult range then you can cut back to 2-3 meals a week. The food bill isn't all that bad since they tend to hibernate 5-8 months a year. They don't always hibernate though and if your baby doesn't be prepared for the possibility of feeding all winter and providing housing for a 3-4 foot lizard within its first year! I wouldn't just feed turkey though, here's a list of acceptable foods for your GU - variety is the spice of life!

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.p...#axzz1gSN0F1qE

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the link! And the insight. Like I said before I'm thinking ill build a 4'x3'x2' for now and expand it a little as he/she ages.

Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Registered User Jonzin4BallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tegu talk

Yeah what John said ... we ( the zoo and i ) buy lean unseasoned ground turkey at CostCo, we add the suppliments ( and sometimes small amounts of fruits or veggies ) mix up and portion into balls ( size depends on animal ) and freeze till needed.

And as i believe i said in a prior post ... " UVB is a must for calcium absorbtion "
    and as i found out not all lights at the petstore are created equal. The only bulb i could find here at Pets Unlimited was an Exo Terra Professional Series Solor Glow 160W bulb ... retailed for $64.99 + taxes. It`s a self ballast Mercury Vapor Bulb. Provides optimal levels of UVA & UVB light and heat all in one bulb. Says right on box " Helps prevent metabolic bone disease ". It`s in a black and silver box. Prolly find it on thier site cheaper in the states .... www.exo-terra.com
    This light is about 13" above surface of enclosure and keeps basking spot right around 105-07 degrees.

Cheers,

John
    0.2 Normal Ball Pythons " Isis " & " Hestia "
    1.0 Spider Ball Python " Ra "
    1.0 Albino Ball Python " Apophis "
    0.1 Nicaraguan Boa PH Leopard " Pandora "
    1.0 Motley 66% Het Anery Boa " Camulus "
    0.1 Normal 66% Het Anery Boa " Satesh "
    1.0 Golden Tegu " Anubis "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12