Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,242

0 members and 3,242 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Saw this in a pet store, worried

Saw this beautiful Red Tail in a pet store. I've only read up on ball pythons but I know that a sign of respiratory infection is when they have their mouth open, well this little Red Tail had its open the whole time I was in the store, what do you guys think? I'm just worried, and I may call the manager (who wasn't there when I was in the store) Here's some pics:

-Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks
    Beautiful boa!
    I can't really help on the ri issue though. It doesn't look like there is any excess saliva. Perhaps it got some aspen stuck in the wrong spot? Ooor...could be anything
    **take what I say with a grain of salt...I don't know TOO much about boas and have never dealt with or seen one with an ri
    Last edited by CLSpider; 12-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Maybe it was hissing too, if very slight?
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Mean boas will gape at you all day long! If it was a respiratory issue you'd see a lot of mucus and saliva coming out of its open mouth, as well as all over the sides of the glass.
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

Re: Saw this in a pet store, worried

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
    Mean boas will gape at you all day long! If it was a respiratory issue you'd see a lot of mucus and saliva coming out of its open mouth, as well as all over the sides of the glass.
    It could also be the start of a RI. I'm not trying to contradict You, and I agree there should.be.more.mucous, but as I stated it could be just starting m.

Our juvenile, who I caught early.. only made a slight popin sound and had barely any mucous, in the days waiting before the appointment he started having excess mucous from his mouth.

To the OP. You need to inform the owner, I've done this three times, 1. I told the owner and pointed out and he said "don't care to much money" the second was to a Herpetologist and he said well I'm not going to repeat because well....he's words I can't say online. the third, actually talked with me and understood and actually asked me if I wanted to go with them to the vet.

Hopefully your stores does number three, you may not want to go, but it's good to know a animal is getting proper care... unlike most reptiles stores have... ;o
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.