Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

1 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Some adult size cage questions....

Soooo I've a male and female blood. They are around 9 lb and I think their time in the sterilite boxes is nearing an end. Debating of taking a stab at a diy design ala this yt instructable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmrz-I8ydI and this thread http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/how...ure-100-a.html

What size should I build for them? I know with younger bloods too much space is detrimental but is that true with older animals? I'd like to just build two enclosures the same size even tho the female will surpass the male, would that be okay or should I make a smaller one for him?
    and so it isn't all text, feeding vid of the male from awhile back:

Thanks
    Ttt, anyone?

Thanks
    Once they are larger and established, they tend not to mind a little leg room. If space is no issue to you, a 4x2 is pretty much the max you should need for an adult blood . Females generally get larger, but that rule is not solid. I would provide the male with a similar enclosure. Temp gradients come big into play when breeding as females will thermoregulate according to their cycle, so an enclosure large enough to accomplish this is crucial for egg production. Take a careful look at the price of a DIY build. You may find that it may cost just as much as an animal plastics T-8 or a boaphile 422
    - Lon D.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwt501 For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (05-15-2012),Otolith (12-18-2011)

Thanks

Re: Some adult size cage questions....

Quote Originally Posted by bwt501 View Post
    Once they are larger and established, they tend not to mind a little leg room. If space is no issue to you, a 4x2 is pretty much the max you should need for an adult blood . Females generally get larger, but that rule is not solid. I would provide the male with a similar enclosure. Temp gradients come big into play when breeding as females will thermoregulate according to their cycle, so an enclosure large enough to accomplish this is crucial for egg production. Take a careful look at the price of a DIY build. You may find that it may cost just as much as an animal plastics T-8 or a boaphile 422
    a BIG +1
    i use the animal plastics T10. very good price, holds great humidity, and will last a lifetime. it sounds like your comfy with the diy idea,, so if it be me, id get 2 t10's/ t8's, and as your puting one of them together, just insert a piece of aaaaaa cant think of whats called,,,,,,,,the boards you make racks out of,, anyway,, put a piece of that in there, caulk it in, and use it as a particion. that way when he gets bigger, you can just take the piece out and youll already have a matching cage. these are stackable BTW...
    spooky

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

Otolith (12-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.spooky View Post
    a BIG +1
    i use the animal plastics T10. very good price, holds great humidity, and will last a lifetime. it sounds like your comfy with the diy idea,, so if it be me, id get 2 t10's/ t8's, and as your puting one of them together, just insert a piece of aaaaaa cant think of whats called,,,,,,,,the boards you make racks out of,, anyway,, put a piece of that in there, caulk it in, and use it as a particion. that way when he gets bigger, you can just take the piece out and youll already have a matching cage. these are stackable BTW...
    spooky
    wait a minute,, i just re read your post. i would think that a 9Lber would be OK in a 2x4 without any particion (sp). just give a few hides with a cat litter box or something.
    spooky

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

Otolith (12-18-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm still very much a blood husbandry newb. I'll be able to price out the components better now that I know the size.

Thanks

I use BoaMaster 4x2s for my adult bloods...they are $250 shipped and look fairly nice. There is quite a bit of set up involved compared to other brands, but I think the savings is worth it. Unless you have a garage/shop area set up and are very handy, I would not recommend the DIY route for cages that large. I had a friend build me two wood (with melamine coating on the inside) 4x2s a few years ago, which ended up costing me about $200 total, were pretty ugly, and were a huge inconvenience to move due to the weight. Even if you build something that looks nice (I've seen some really nice DIY cages) they're going to weigh a ton unless you have connections with a local plastics supplier and can get a hold of a few sheets of ABS or something. You should be fine putting a 9+ lb snake in an adult cage, with or without a hide. I do not use hides for my bloods, just crumpled newspaper.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kristan For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (05-15-2012),Otolith (12-24-2011)

Frederick, Maryland by way of Memphis Ten-a-key
    Thanks
    So if you were to put an adult in a plastic tub..

What quart/gallon size would you use?

I've got a juvie in a pimped out aquarium right now, but that's obviously not going to last. I know I should move up in tub sizes through out the growing cycle so as to not give them too much room but im getting some lowes/home depot gift cards and im thinking I may just go ahead and buy a ton of the stuff I need...and i'd really like to get all the tubs now...

any ideas guys?
    "I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore."

0.1 RugRat
    1.0 Ball Python (Albino)
    1.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Normal)

My iHerp, recently started.

http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...e-d42c41a88781

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kristan View Post
    I use BoaMaster 4x2s for my adult bloods...they are $250 shipped and look fairly nice. There is quite a bit of set up involved compared to other brands, but I think the savings is worth it. Unless you have a garage/shop area set up and are very handy, I would not recommend the DIY route for cages that large. I had a friend build me two wood (with melamine coating on the inside) 4x2s a few years ago, which ended up costing me about $200 total, were pretty ugly, and were a huge inconvenience to move due to the weight. Even if you build something that looks nice (I've seen some really nice DIY cages) they're going to weigh a ton unless you have connections with a local plastics supplier and can get a hold of a few sheets of ABS or something. You should be fine putting a 9+ lb snake in an adult cage, with or without a hide. I do not use hides for my bloods, just crumpled newspaper.
    Man, 250 is a really good deal. They look nice and professional too. Very tempting. But my BF is really adept at wood working so aside from being heavy DIY should be alright. I was thinking of using krylon plastic coat to paint the melamine black so it doesn't look so.. clinical/kitcheny lol. Thanks!