Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Transporting a Ball Python

Hey all!
    I am going to be staying at my mom's house for almost six weeks over my winter break. I am getting married this summer, so I need to be back home for all of the wedding planning that needs to go on. After much begging and reasoning, she has allowed me to bring my python with me. (I was never allowed to have one in her house while growing up, but if it will get me to come home for a month and a half, anything goes. haha!)

So my question is, what is the best way to move my little girl with the least stress on her? The drive is about an hour and a half through a lot of winding back roads. I have a plastic tub that I soak her in if she has a bad shed, but it does NOT have air holes, though it is NOT airtight. I never soak her for more than 30 minutes and the drive in a lot longer than that.

I also thought about just putting her in a pillow case and maybe placing the whole pillow case in the tub but not putting the lid on and just resting it on the floor of the car?

I am bringing her whole terrarium set up with me so once she arrives, nothing but her view out the front is different. I just hope it doesn't make her go off feed or something, but I know that's possible She will be in my old bedroom which my mother sure as heck will not enter while she's in there, so she shouldn't be disturbed by any foot traffic while there. I just want to make it as easy on my girl as possible. I know a move of any kind is never ideal, but its a lot better than leaving her alone for six weeks. Never would even consider that!

Any advice appreciated!
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

Thanks
    Will be more than fine in a pillowcase for an hour. Just make sure whatever you put the pillowcase in is secure so she isn't sliding around. Like a towel in the bin and the pillowcase on top of the towel. Other than that it should be a rather easy transport.

By the way congrats on your future marriage. Welcome to the club...lol
    Last edited by VEXER19; 12-12-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

Thanks
    Agree I use a pillow case as well, inside a vented tub. If mine are going to be in this for any more then an hour I will put a medical hot water bottle inside, with 88 deg water, especially this time of year. You can refill it with warm water at any gas station restroom on the way.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Transporting a Ball Python

If you use a pillow case, make sure you turn it inside out and inspect all of the seams for any loose threads or small holes. Snakes are good at finding those and exploiting them.
    I usually don't put my snakes on the car floor, mainly because of the vibration's. I normally keep mine on the front or back seat. If you do have to put your snake on the floor, fold up a blanket for the tub to sit on.
    If the heater in your car works, just keep a thermometer with you and keep the temp in the car around 75-80ish.
    If you want something for emergency heat in case any problems come up, I suggest getting a few of those hand warming heat packs from Wal-Mart, in the outdoors/sporting goods section.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    Thanks everyone! Vypyrz, the warm hand heat packs idea is great! I have plenty of packs of those all over the place, I never go on a winter hike without them in my pockets! I'll be sure to use them!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I think you have the information you need I am just going to point out two things. The heat packs ment for hand get very hot so a some method of separtating them from direct contact with the snake bag is important. (tape to tape it to inside the lid with a few bits of paper towel). The second thing is about air holes, I don't know where you are but holes during the move from out side to car and car to inside might not be a good idea. The cold air can shock the lungs and open the door for RI. I'd say no hole at all if it is cold where you are (-4ºC today where I am) once the car is warm you can pop the lid and open it up a crack for a bit. in a bag the snake can't go far. Same for going inside button that up so the cold air isn't hitting the snake at all.

Thanks

Re: Transporting a Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I think you have the information you need I am just going to point out two things. The heat packs ment for hand get very hot so a some method of separtating them from direct contact with the snake bag is important. (tape to tape it to inside the lid with a few bits of paper towel). The second thing is about air holes, I don't know where you are but holes during the move from out side to car and car to inside might not be a good idea. The cold air can shock the lungs and open the door for RI. I'd say no hole at all if it is cold where you are (-4ºC today where I am) once the car is warm you can pop the lid and open it up a crack for a bit. in a bag the snake can't go far. Same for going inside button that up so the cold air isn't hitting the snake at all.
    Thanks! I have been playing with a good, snug, warm set up and if I fold a towel into the plastic tub, I can put the heat packs under a fold of the towel and then put her and the pillow case in and she will have a nice soft, sung, toasty box. I'm going to crack open a few heat packs and just put them in there for a dry run and check the temp to see how many I should use. I am in NorCal, it's been in the low 50sF during the day lately. Too cold for ball pythons, so I will make sure the air doesn't get her and she has a nice warm car waiting for her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    You likely don't need the heat packs just to get from the house to car I'd just have them in reserve in case something happens to the heat enroute. I doubt you will need them but better sae than sorry.

Thanks
    What about something of this sort?

Code:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Heated-12-volt-Pad-with-Safety-Timer/3693500/product.html
    Friend of mine has balls that he breeds and he employs a similar 12 volt heating pad. He showed me what he basically does: puts the heating pad under a plastic tub, a moist towel in the tub and the balls inside...plugs the heating pad in, puts a plastic lid with a central mesh screen in the middle (he made that himself, but a plastic lid with holes for ventilation would be adequate) and off he goes. He sells the ones that he breeds and on long drives to the buyer, he uses that method. He's never had problems with it either, might be worth a shot.