Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

1 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Differences in Substrate

I've been using Aspen since I got my BP's. Usually my humidity was around 39-43% all the time. Last week I bought some of the Coconut Fiber bedding, read the directions, soaked it in water, let it dry out for a week in a tub. This morning the humidity was a good 40% even. I decided before I leave for the day i'd go ahead and clean his tank and switch it out. 30 mins later... after i put everything back in....holy crap! 54% humidity. Talk about a difference in holding moisture from substrate to substrate. I'm all about the the 10% jump in humidity, but is moist too moist? Hopefully i won't have to worry about any cases of bellyrot in the future!
    1.0 Ball Fireball (Monty)
    0.1 Super Orange X Red Beardie (Sir Robin)
    1.0 Sheppard (Charlie)1.0 Ball Fireball (Monty)
    Wishlist
    0.1 Super Pewter
    0.1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    reread your post, the substrate shouldn't feel damp or wet
    Last edited by akjadlnfkjfdkladf; 12-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    -kyle

Thanks

Re: Differences in Substrate

Quote Originally Posted by SkYyame View Post
    is 54% humidity too much?

why don't you check the care sheet ?
    I've memorized that caresheet. As i said im all about the 10% jump in humidity. I was just curious about bellyrot because of some of the stories i've heard about coco fiber, and my guy loves to dip in his water and then i come back and he's covered in the fiber because it's sticking to him. Forgive me for still being a newb snake owner and asking for what I seems logical advice.
    Wishlist
    0.1 Super Pewter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Konbrio View Post
    I've memorized that caresheet. As i said im all about the 10% jump in humidity. I was just curious about bellyrot because of some of the stories i've heard about coco fiber, and my guy loves to dip in his water and then i come back and he's covered in the fiber because it's sticking to him. Forgive me for still being a newb snake owner and asking for what I seems logical advice.
    I'm a newbie too! I use coco fiber (Eco Dirt) and I mist it daily so the very top is not wet but moist.... I didn't even know about bellyrott! I just wanted to keep the humidity up (it's on average 54% daily) Eeek! Now i'm nervous, I keep moss in there to help with humidity and of course water/soaking dish

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I use coco fibre as well yes it does hold water better than any other. I sort of follow the instructions I try to break up as much as I can by hand and no water and the hard bits that are left I separate and add a tiny amount of water and then break up what I can and just keep repeating this until it is done. I mix it all back together and call it done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Konbrio (12-09-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbradbury View Post
    I'm a newbie too! I use coco fiber (Eco Dirt) and I mist it daily so the very top is not wet but moist.... I didn't even know about bellyrott! I just wanted to keep the humidity up (it's on average 54% daily) Eeek! Now i'm nervous, I keep moss in there to help with humidity and of course water/soaking dish
    I honestly don't think it's a major concern (but im by far no expert). But i've been told it could happen, and that's why I was asking . I've heard ALOT more good things about coco fiber then bad. I was just curious all around
    Wishlist
    0.1 Super Pewter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I use coco fibre as well yes it does hold water better than any other. I sort of follow the instructions I try to break up as much as I can by hand and no water and the hard bits that are left I separate and add a tiny amount of water and then break up what I can and just keep repeating this until it is done. I mix it all back together and call it done.
    Thats a good idea! I'll break up the rest of my fiber bricks and do it that way this weekend. Do you think it sticking to him is going to be a problem? The bedding is dry, but when he dips in his water dish, then slithers around the tank he covers his underbelly in it.
    Wishlist
    0.1 Super Pewter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    That is a good idea, Just to make sure I understand... you are using the brick form correct? That thing is hard as a rock! My husband was still at work and tried breaking it up and after many attempt of throwing, stomping, and trying some "as seen on tv" combat moves...I finally gave up and just soaked the brick. I squeezed as much mositure out as I could, I still have some little pieces left from my failed attempt of breaking it apart. Could I mix those in to help draw out some of the left over water?

The more I read, the more nervous I get lol, I was reading last night at like midnight and took my BP's out to check for mites after seeing pictures I felt creepy crawly.

Not trying to thread jack sorry!

Thanks
    haha no worries! "as seen on tv" combat moves. lmao
    Last edited by Konbrio; 12-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Wishlist
    0.1 Super Pewter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbradbury View Post
    The more I read, the more nervous I get lol, I was reading last night at like midnight and took my BP's out to check for mites after seeing pictures I felt creepy crawly.
    hehe, about a week after i got my little guy i noticed he had mites. i bought some of the Provent a Mite for the substrate and tank, and then some Juraassi Mite to spray directly on him. It's been 3 weeks and I have yet to see another mite !
    Wishlist
    0.1 Super Pewter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast