Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

0 members and 3,362 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    It IS possible that the only thing wrong with this ASF was that it was born a bit small, and failed to compete for milk effectively with its numerous siblings. It may have appeared malnourished simply because it was--if it's begun to recover, develop and grow after being placed with a smaller litter, it may be because now it is getting sufficient milk. (Just because it's nursing doesn't mean it's getting sufficient milk--if mom has none left, then baby gets none).

The animal may make a 100% full recovery, and its issues may have been due to nothing other than the bad luck of being born a bit weak in a litter that was too large.

Malnutrition can cause many physical issues--the eye issue and other signs may have been due to absolutely nothing other than that, particularly since they're now going away. There may be no genetic abnormalities at all.

I'm personally not all that sentimental, and would feed it off once it's reached sufficient size. The sturdiest, strongest, fastest growing, and most docile animals should be used for breeders, after all.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I would have no problem feeding it off... I just wouldn't feed it off because of its condition.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I'd love to see updated photos of said rat?

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: Really weird baby...

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I would have no problem feeding it off... I just wouldn't feed it off because of its condition.
    lol...
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

ReptilesK2 (12-29-2011)

Thanks

(i'm a little late but...) Why do people who ask for OPINIONS always think there own opinions outweigh the people that have been asked? You asked and Rhasputin answered, you didn't agree so you argued. Why? To avoid this why not just not ask about the baby? From the original picture I agreed put it down. I've had to do this with rabbits multiple times, it's heartbreaking yes, but that's beyond the point. If you don't like opinions don't ask for advice.

And yes, please post another picture, I'd love to see how this little guy thrived.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (01-05-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

hey all sorry I havent updated you. Got super busy with Christmas and the New Year. Anyways, the little guy grew for a short period of time but then stopped. His new litter outgrew him and he was then still the same size as his original mothers new litter. I feel I tried to give him the chance to survive that he deserved but in the end it just wasnt meant to be. Kind of sad, but I have to remember that he was originally born to be a feeder, not a pet. C'est la vie.

Thanks
    Next time, please cull the animal humanely before it starves to death.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't know why you assume it starved as the entire time it was alive it ate very well. It didnt thrive enough to make me comfortable keeping it so it was fed off a week ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Next time, please cull the animal humanely before it starves to death.
    It was. Miami gave it a shot. It did well - for a time - and when it no longer continued to do so, it was used for its purpose. I don't see what the problem is here.
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I was born 9 weeks premature and only weighted 4 lbs. I'm really glad my parents didn't have the mentality of some of you guys. Sure things weren't easy at first. I was hospitalized multiple times but in the end I turned out fine... Top of my class even.
    Are being serious. Rodents eat their young. Are you seriously trying to compare your premature birth to that of an ASF. I hate to break it to you but you turned out fine from your perspective but if I were breeding humans as food for something I wouldn't breed you. Your intelligence would be a detriment as would your premature birth. Lucky for you your a human and not an ASF. Your value as a person is determined by much more than the circumstances surrounding your birth.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast