Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

4 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Small shed problem

I knew Vicious (my ksb) was going to shed yesterday. She had the big wrinkle around her head any time she bent her head just a little. So I gave her a coffee can (a big plastic one) with wet paper towels on on the floor and walls, a rock, and shut the lid. I cut a hole out of the lid so she could come and go as she pleased. I moved the bedding out of the way and left it over top of the UTH.

Vicious obviously appreciated her sauna because she enjoyed hanging out in there for several hours and she knew how to leave if she wanted.

This morning I have a big fat skin among the bedding in the middle of the tank, and a little piece from her head moistly attached to her rock in her sauna.

However, she still has maybe 1/4 of her skin on her tail end attached. And it's not all loose and rolly. It seems like the part under her belly I could pull off if I wanted (I'd be scared I'd hurt her though) but the part on her back seems like it's still on there pretty snug. This morning I took her sauna out so her tank could get back to normal. I know an increase in humidity is good for sheds, but she had her sauna all day yesterday.

She usually does shed in 2 pieces (nice pieces) and I know we all want that 1 full piece. I have this one piece she let go of last night that is just big and long and perfect!

So should I just not worry about the rest? It is covering her vent so I would think it needs to come off. Should I just give her another day before I worry about it? I know she is hungry, but I probably shouldn't feed her with her skin like that and with her being a desert snake I don't want to go overboard with the coffee can sauna that she isn't going in anymore, but burying next to it.

What do you think?
    Dawn
    1.0 HIB (Cinder)
    0.1 KSB (Vicious)

0.1 American Warmblood (Moo - Sudden Eclipse)
    1.0 Oldenburg (Nova - Saint Supernova)
    0.1 Doberman Pinscher (Tira)
    0.1 Miniature Pinsher (Bitty)

Thanks
    Don't touch it. She knows how to get it off. Just wait a few days and see what happens. If you pull it off you could take her skin with it. It just may need a little while to release from the old skin. So let her do it herself and if in a few days it doesnt come off then I would repost and ask for a technique to help later like the pillowcase technique.

Edit: You can feed her if you want but a lot of snakes wont eat in shed. But mine does, so you can offer if you want because if most of it is off she may be in the mood to eat.
    Last edited by VEXER19; 12-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VEXER19 For This Useful Post:

SuddenEclipse (12-06-2011)

Thanks
    ok thanks. I know the pillow case trick (I used to have a ball python) LOL. I will offer her a fuzzy tomorrow, figure I'll give her a day after her big day yesterday LOL Hopefully she will get that last piece off on her own! Wonder why it stuck in the first place when the other 3/4 of the skin is so nice!

My theory (which is probably ignorant) is that she is just growing so fast. She just shed on November 9th last month and already shed again on December 6th. Maybe she is growing faster than her skin can keep up with!
    Dawn
    1.0 HIB (Cinder)
    0.1 KSB (Vicious)

Thanks
    I dont think thats it. Mine is a ball though but my girl just shed 3 times in a month due to a wound and the fact that she has gained about 80g in that time frame if not more. And she shed just fine. But you never know, these things just happen and you just have to roll with it. Hope she gets the rest off for you though.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

Thanks
    if you dont trust the skin being there ,get some kitchen paper(i dont know how you call it in the US)and make it wet with hot water(not to wet or the paper will break.
    then just rub it off but dont focus on the spot where the shed is.
    just act like your washing her,start at her head and stop at her tail untill the skin comes off
    2.4 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei wildtyp
    1.2 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei wildtyp het albino poss het anery. CB 11/2011!
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei Anery het albino
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei Snow
    1.0 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei Albino
    1.0 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei Albino het anery
    1.0 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei Granite striped
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei Stripe
    1.1 Gongylophis Conicus
    1.0 Boa Constrictor ssp wildtyp
    0.1 Boa Constrictor ssp wildtyp
    1.0 Python Regius het ghost
    1.0 Python Regius Pastel
    0.1 Python Regius Spider
    1.0 Furcifer pardalis Nosy mitsio x sambava
    1.0 Furcifer pardalis Ambilobe blue Bar

Thanks
    Checked on Vicious & she shed the rest of her skin off no problem & is doing great!
    Dawn
    1.0 HIB (Cinder)
    0.1 KSB (Vicious)