Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,958

1 members and 2,957 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

First BP tub setup

I'm picking up my first BP tomorrow, a cute little Butter. I have her tub set up now, but it's not in its permanent state... for the time being, I have a heating pad on the warm end (warm end temps are 27 to 32). This is just a temporary measure until my FlexWatt arrives. Here are some pics of the setup so far.

I got a 32 L (34 Qt.) Sterilite tub and melted some holes into it. Then I covered some sides with black paper. The white covering is a bubble-wrap type insulating material with foil on the inner side (that's on the cool end).

This is what it looks like on the inside. The water dish is on the warmest side, to help with humidity.

And here is a picture of the snake itself! (Sorry for the phone-camera.)

I'm mainly concerned about the temperature. I've been reading the heat output from the heating pad with a temp gun every hour or so, and it seems to be stable. I've also blocked off the coldest end of the tank with some empty mlk cartons since the pictures were taken, to better insulate the air space from the cold. Any thoughts on the air holes would be appreciated, too. I think I put in a lot, but I'm not sure.
    Also, I know this is a bit larger than the usual tub size reccommended for babies, but this was the best my local walmart had. I figured I would just put in extra hides and cover the enclosure with something to make the snake feel more secure. What do you think?

Many thanks!

Mountlake Terrace, Washington, United States
    Thanks
    set up looks great. i myself have a 3 month old one. and use a 10 gallon tank. i have a heat pad under her hide, so at night she can go into it if she needs to warm up. i have a similar water bown like yours, only difference is i have a heat light, which it helps my temps but kills humidity. so i purchased a mini humidifer and rigged in into her cage, and have both set on a timer. works like a charm! best of luck, great looking snake!

Thanks

Re: First BP tub setup

Looks great! Congrats on your first bp, she's a cutie!

Thanks
    Looks good to me. Nice looking butter!
    1.1 Mohave, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Spider het Albino, 0.6 Het Albino, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.2 normal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    I use tubs like that also. I just put holes on the sides. With the holes I have the water dish and the snake pee. I have to clean often to keep the condensation off the sides. You can always tape up some of the holes on the outside if they are to many. You will figure it out. This is a great place to learn. I knew nothing about taking care of snakes when I joined this forum. Enjoy your BP
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)