Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

2 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Amount of baking soda/vinegar to euthanize 20-25 baby rats?

I have looked everywhere for dry ice locally and they either really don't have it or they're lying to me. I found this site ( http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/ ) and wanted to try the method of putting a box inside of a garbage bag. I have about 20-25 5-6 week old rats to euthanize. I bought pet store rats and they popped out babies. I am unable to find any more homes and cannot keep them. I thought it would be more useful to be able to freeze them to feed our ball python. I don't want to spend much on it as I never plan to breed my rats and these were unplanned litters obviously. I want it to be humane, but the instructions seem to be for one animal and I don't want to mess this up. Do I need to increase/change the concentrations? Also, I have a ten gallon aquarium and found a method using that on http://www.ratfanclub.org/euth.html , but the same problem with the quantity of rats. I have a styrofoam cooler as well if there is some way to use it for this purpose. Thanks!

Thanks
    Really it would probably be easier to whack them in the head. I don't know anything about that method. I know when I put rats down to freeze I just give them a good whack and they pass instantly.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks
    That's the way we do it too. Hold them by the tail and whack them on something hard.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Thanks, but I'm not sure whacking them is something thqt I could do.

Thanks
    Personally I find the whack a hell of alot more humane than suffocation. Which is what would be happening with the other method. If you can't personally hold it by the tail and smack it then you can put it in a pillow case or snake bag. I used to have to this.... It worked well and I didn't have to worry about feeling like a big meanie.
    The other method just seems very complex. You could just put them in an air tight container and the same will happen as the method you were asking about.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks

Re: Amount of baking soda/vinegar to euthanize 20-25 baby rats?

Have you checked your local grocery stores? I have heard that they sometimes will sell dry ice.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    look with shipping companies or buy some co2 and regulator.

Thanks

Never tried the baking soda/vinegar method, mainly because I hate the smell of vinegar. I use the dry ice method more often then not, when there's no dry ice cervical dislocation it is. I get dry ice from my local grocery store for like $1.35 a pound which is enough to put down 75-100 rats, so you could use a 1/4 pound for only 20-25 baby rats easy.

Thanks
    if you dont like to break their necks and have no dry ice i would say toss them in the freezer, the cold slows them down and they go to sleep and.....well......never wake up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcooper7211 View Post
    if you dont like to break their necks and have no dry ice i would say toss them in the freezer, the cold slows them down and they go to sleep and.....well......never wake up.

freezing to death is not falling asleep. never having froze to death personally I can only rely on accounts of others but needless to say it is a slow and painful way to die. and is certainly not a humane way to cull feeders. in the last 20 years I have had to kill countless feeders. everything from mice to rabbits and everything in between. being an animal lover I have to say that in the beginning it was difficult, but in order to feed my collection it was necessary. so for me the quickest most humane way is to sever the spine of whatever feeder you need to kill. with rats and mice this can be done as suggested above by taking the animal by the tail and striking them against something hard. I personally prefer to place the feeder on a counter top, place forceps behind the animals head to hold it in place and give a sharp hard pull on the tail severing the spine and base of the skull.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast