Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,465

1 members and 3,464 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Substrate for racks

I currently use newspaper, I am fed up with it. I want to use a substrate that will help with humidity and be easy to clean. I also dont want the possibility of the animal ingesting any when being fed. Any thoughts? I use cypress for my water monitor and it holds humidity very well, but I worry about the snakes accidentally eating a piece with their rat. Not really a fan of bark. I have been told that aspen doesnt hold moisture well, allthough I have never used it. I was thinking paper towels, but I would imagine that would get expensive and wouldnt they tear easy when wet? I tried using sphagnum moss in a hide and what not, but then they deficate all over it and I know it can be washed and reused but again, its a pain in the ace

Any suggestions?
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks
    I think it all just depends on if you can find the perfect combination of: size of the tub, number of holes, type of substrate, size of water bowl & ambient humidity in your snake room.

I had about 12 holes in my 12 quart hatchling tubs. Tried dry paper towel, sprayed down paper towel (two spritzes), cypress and aspen. So far aspen is the only one that's worked for me with 12 holes.

Dry paper towel gave 30% humidity with 12 holes.
    Sprayed down paper towel that was barely moist gave 85% humidity with 12 holes.
    Cypress gave 90% humidity with 12 holes.
    Aspen gives me 70% humidity with 12 holes, probably need to put a few more in there though to bring it down to 60%.
    Matt

0.0 Ball Pythons (for now )
    http://iherp.com/mattchibi

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Paper towels, not that expensive really.
    I prefer the tub keep the humidity and not the bedding, the proper amount of holes is how you contain humidity.
    Jerry Robertson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (12-03-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Re: Substrate for racks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Paper towels, not that expensive really.
    I prefer the tub keep the humidity and not the bedding, the proper amount of holes is how you contain humidity.
    Agreed. With the right amount of holes I keep a constant 60% with contractors paper in my tubs. It goes higher when they shed and I put my water bowls over the heat tape. During shed I hold about 70% or so.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Newspaper is probably your best option if you're worried about the snakes ingesting substrate. Sure, with a substrate it's mostly spot cleaning but come time to swap out the entire tub you'll be missing that paper. I go aspen every year or two but after a while always return to newspaper. As long as your prey is dry when offering you don't really have to worry about them ingesting substrate but if you're the cautious type toss a piece of newspaper down when feeding.

Thanks
    As others have said the right amount of holes and water would make the humidity work great. Newspaper is good since you can usually get a lot of it for free. The only problem that I see from newspaper is the ink will bleed off the paper and onto your snake. I don't believe there is any long term damage just temporary discoloration of snake usually to the belly.
    What I'm looking to do is by a big 100' roll of white paper and cut it down to the size I need. I just need to find somewhere to order it at. I know Ralph Davis uses pre-cut white paper.

Thanks
    I've tried aspen and I honestly just wasn't a fan of it. Newspaper is my substrate of choice.

Plus, I deliver newspapers so I always have a crap load around
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    If the color on the paper bothers you try calling some local newspaper companies. After they run a printing the "end rolls" usually have a fair amount of blank paper left on them that gets tossed. They're normally happy to let you pick it up for no charge.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Driver (12-03-2011),Wapadi (12-05-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    If the color on the paper bothers you try calling some local newspaper companies. After they run a printing the "end rolls" usually have a fair amount of blank paper left on them that gets tossed. They're normally happy to let you pick it up for no charge.
    That's a great idea I actually have a aunt that is a manager for the Indianapolis Star the also run the overflow for some surrounding states.

Thanks
    I pick up a sheet of blank newspaper or packing paper from u-haul for $8. It has 200 sheets. They last me a while.
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkeye714 For This Useful Post:

mkeller13 (12-04-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast