Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,062

3 members and 1,059 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,583
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Does your spider wobble?

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    That statement is kind of misleading. I believe all spiders (and spider mixes) are affected by some kind of neurological thing, but to varying degrees...from almost nothing noticeable to corkscrewing. To say they all wobble is untrue. To say they all have the problem that could lead to wobbling is more accurate. And a "head tilt" is not a wobble. It's a head tilt. It is part of the problem that causes wobbling, head tilting, stargazing, corkscrewing, etc...

I have 1 male Spider and 3 females...none of them show any signs (although I know they have the problem). The second youngest did have a slight wobble but it seems to have gone away.

My 5 month old Bumblebee only shows a very slight wobble when feeding.

My 5 month old Butterbee shows a moderate wobble when it's feeding time or she's excited.

I've hatched several Spider clutches and have noticed some slight wobbling with some of the babies. Maybe 25% at most? Probably less than that as I'm just guessing.

And I don't even consider head tilting as an issue as I've seen other BP's tilt their head in a similiar manner as Spiders...I think I may have a slight head tilt myself...and it's never caused me a problem...
    I think the term "wobble" is just a general umbrella term for any neurological symptom displayed by an animal with the spider gene. Yes, there are spiders that do not wobble. Instead they have very slight variations of the neurological disorder like head tilting or not being able to right themselves right away if turned over (my male does this on occasion). ALL spiders have some sort of neurological disorder. How much is shows, varies.

The problem is, you have people that have these spiders that do not wobble (instead they have the variations of the neurological disorder that are not as noticable) and advertise them as such. Newcomers to the hobby that don't understand that a head tilt is still a neurological problem, will be more inclined to purchase spiders from that person that has "no wobble" spiders. And then they are disappointed when the offspring of that spider throws wobbly babies.

Again, ALL spiders have some form of a neurological problem. You may not see it as it could be the slightest head tilt, or it could be as bad as corkscrewing, but it's there. It might show up right after hatching, or it could show up in the last year of life, but ALL spiders have it. And a spider with a slight head tilt can still throw a spider with a corkscrew.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Our first female wobbles/corkscrews but she a garbage can at almost 3000 grams and around 3 years old. Last year was 2500ish grams and laid a perfect 10 egg clutch. Just got a new spider around 1400 grams and she does not seem to have it as bad but we will see when feeding day gets here. Personally it does not bother me spiders are awesome and as long as they can feed and live a happy life then who cares.

Last edited by 98bcobra; 11-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I think the term "wobble" is just a general umbrella term for any neurological symptom displayed by an animal with the spider gene.
    and that's what confuses the newbs...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with keeping balls with the spider mutation. I believe that this is the best way to learn about the animals we keep and how to care for them better in the future!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    my bumblebee only wobbles sometimes when he's wandering around his enclosure
    Last edited by akjadlnfkjfdkladf; 11-29-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    -kyle

Thanks
    My spider:

Great eater
    Never noticed a wobble
    Does do the head upside down thing ever once in awhile
    Very rarely I will go in my reptile room and see him laying with his belly in the air, but only twice in over a year did I ever see this...

All of these things would not prevent me from wanting to own another one.

Thanks

I've noticed that my spider, V, wobbles a little bit too. I think it's cute and it feels weird when he does it across exposed skin.

Thanks
    My bumblebee wobbles and corkscrews so much that it's painful to watch at times.
    I started to think it was something worse like ibd but, I recently watched some videos of other spiders that wobble as much as mine.
    The only time he seems to calm down is after he's had a meal.

Thanks
    My bumble bee wobbles a little but not to bad but he does go up side down more than ive seen any snake lol
    1.0 normal (2009)
    0.1 pastel 66% azanthic (2010)
    1.0 bumblebee 66% azanthic (2011)
    0.1 Mojave (2011)

0.1 RTB (2011)

1.1.2 crested gecko (2011)

0.1. Fiance (Tracy Renee)

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    ALL spiders wobble. I thought this was set in stone like 5 years ago? Not only that, so do all their combinations! I love how people stick up for the wobbly lil suckers tho. I love em, they are my best eaters and breeders.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast