Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

5 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumeril or RTB?

Thanks

Dumeril or RTB?

Greetings everyone!

I'm looking to expand my collection by adding either a Dumeril or a RTB. However, I've read through several different care sheets, and would rather hear from those who currently own/have owned/ or have experience with these breeds. I prefer a docile snake, as ball pythons are all I've owned. But, in your (collective your) opinion, which breed is more docile/easier to own?

One thing I love about the RTBs is that they have some color variation. I love Albinos.

Thanks

Re: Dumeril or RTB?

ive never owned a dumeril but my columbian is absolutly great in every sense. she is active, when im holding her shes always checking stuff out and is super curious about everything. also, any time i try to set her down or put her back, she fights with me, like all she wants to do is be handled all day. if she on the floor, all i have to do to pick her up is put my hand next to her, and she crawls up my arm, its kinda funny. so attitude wise, shes great, she looks mean, but is super sweet, and seems terribly smart. i can even reach in her cage with my hand reaking like mouse and she wont bite, she'll smell alot though.

care wise, the conditions for red tails and bp's are pretty much the same, 79-83 cool end, and 89-94 warm end, with 50-60% humidity and 70% during shed. you also migh tnotice that they dont use their hides nearly as often as BP's, my bp is always hiding, while my boa hides maybe 1/3 the time at most. the biggest difference is the size, a columbian (BCI) can get 5-7ft male, and 7-9ft female (from what ive heard), i have no idea about dumerils though, but either way, im sure you will be happy with a boa in your collection
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks
    Dumerils Boas are extremely docile snakes. You'll find more variety of color and pattern with RTBs than Dumerils. In general, Dumerils Boas don't get as large as RTBs and don't require quite as hot temperatures. Both snakes make great pets. Here is a Dumerils Boa Care Sheet.

Another species you may want to consider are Brazilian Rainbow Boas. They're typically 5-7 feet long with more slender bodies than RTBs and Dumerils. Here is a Beginner's Guide To Brazilian Rainbow Boas.

Here is a picture of my Female Dumerils Boa Cleopatra:

Here is a picture of my Male Brazilian Rainbow Boa Apollo:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoonlightBoas For This Useful Post:

KigerTiger (11-27-2011)

Thanks

Thank you both! Eventually I would like to have both species, but it is just not feasible at the moment. Especially given the housing requirements for such large snakes. I currently have a "snake room" in my house, that houses my two ball pythons. It is somewhat more temperature controlled than the rest of the house in order to make them more comfortable. So temps and humidity shouldn't be an issue. But just out of curiosity, what size enclosure do you have for your boas? And do you have to keep them on a stand of some sort in order to accommodate an UTH?

I have carpet in that room, and so a UTH for an enclosure on the floor is out of the question, and given the size of the typical adult boa enclosure, I'm guessing I'll have to put it on the floor.

@Moonlight: Thank you for the caresheet. Your boas are beautiful! I really love the large, heavy body of the Dumeril. You wouldn't possibly have any clutches on the way in the near future would you?
    Last edited by KigerTiger; 11-27-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    While I do not have a Dumerils (yet, lol), I do have a columbian boa and I absolutely LOVE her! She is incredibly curious, very sweet, highly intelligent, and loves to be handled and just hang out with me. What could be better?? Of course, I have heard that both Dumerils and Rainbows can be the same way. I personally think you'd be happy with any of these 3.

Male BCI will get about 5-7 feet and the females around 7-9. The rainbows will be about the same but will have a more slender body. The Dumerils will top out at about 7ft for a large female, but they are the most heavy bodied of the 3 so you're looking at about the same size for any of them unless you get a particularly large female BCI that pushes 10ft - that isn't likely, but it IS possible.

A proper enclosure would be a 4x2 cage for an adult of any of these 3. If you get a baby, it should be happy in a 20gal long for nearly it's entire first year so you'd have time to save for a larger enclosure if you went for a baby. I like this cage from PVC Cages. It is 48wx12tx24d and the perfect size for anything except the largest female BCIs. Also, if you order it with heat, it is a radient heat panel which is a marvelous way of heating from above. No UTHs! So you can set the cage directly on the floor.

Oh, by the way, all boas bear live young so they have "litters" not "clutches".
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post

A proper enclosure would be a 4x2 cage for an adult of any of these 3. If you get a baby, it should be happy in a 20gal long for nearly it's entire first year so you'd have time to save for a larger enclosure if you went for a baby. I like this cage from PVC Cages. It is 48wx12tx24d and the perfect size for anything except the largest female BCIs. Also, if you order it with heat, it is a radient heat panel which is a marvelous way of heating from above. No UTHs! So you can set the cage directly on the floor.
    ".
    I have been looking into these for about a week would you go with the 40 watt or 80?
    and what about light?
    NobleReptiles.com

Thanks

Having had both (and rainbow boas) I would choose a RTB. Something about them I just love. More active too.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KigerTiger View Post
    @Moonlight: Thank you for the caresheet. Your boas are beautiful! I really love the large, heavy body of the Dumeril. You wouldn't possibly have any clutches on the way in the near future would you?
    Thanks for the compliment. I just sent you a PM. I have two 2010 Male Dumerils Boas available.
    Last edited by MoonlightBoas; 11-28-2011 at 01:33 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KigerTiger View Post
    Greetings everyone!

I'm looking to expand my collection by adding either a Dumeril or a RTB. However, I've read through several different care sheets, and would rather hear from those who currently own/have owned/ or have experience with these breeds. I prefer a docile snake, as ball pythons are all I've owned. But, in your (collective your) opinion, which breed is more docile/easier to own?

One thing I love about the RTBs is that they have some color variation. I love Albinos.
    Dumerils have color variations.
    Some are brownish and others have a peachy/rosy hue.

There's also a new "Orangeglow morph" that's just gorgeous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku947jQQLdg

I don't have a RTB [yet...LOL] but I totally adore my new Dumerils.

Thanks
    i just got a colombian a couple weeks ago and shes definitely a lot different then my bps. i just ordered me a dumeril and she'll be her tomorrow so we'll see how she goes.
    1.2 normals Eddie, Cady, Cari
    1.0 Pewter Jeffey
    0.1 Cinnamon Bubbles
    0.1 pastel Rosalba (Rosie)
    1.0 unknown morph Abba
    0.1 Hypo Boa Castrina
    0.1 Dumeril Boa Stefani

Room-mate's
    1.0 Het G-Stripe Baby-G
    1.0 pastel het vpi axanthic Paxley

Shared custody
    1.0 normal Martin