Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,273

4 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: venomoid?

Thanks
    If you cant handle the heat buy a cornsnake. Its not rocket science handling venomous snakes. All it takes is common sense and a healthy respect for the animal. The venom is apart of the animal and should not be taken away. The only thing venomoids do is continue to cause people that have no business keeping these animals get even cockier about handling them because there suppose to be safe. Theres a reason venomoids do not come with guarantee.

Thanks

Re: venimoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    If you cant handle the heat buy a cornsnake. Its not rocket science handling venomous snakes. All it takes is common sense and a healthy respect for the animal. The venom is apart of the animal and should not be taken away. The only thing venomoids do is continue to cause people that have no business keeping these animals get even cockier about handling them because there suppose to be safe. Theres a reason venomoids do not come with guarantee.
    id have to disagree with that.. it takes alot more than common sense to keep these.. and do some not come with a guarantee??
    spooky

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (12-28-2011),Jessica Loesch (11-26-2011)

Thanks
    Well then I guess we would have to agree to disagree. They truly are not as bad as you would think. Very defensive but not overly aggressive. Common sense can get you far in life if you use it. Sadly many choose not to

Thanks
    And you forgot were I put in the healthy respect for the animal part. You put those two together and have a hook in your hand and your on your way to being a hot keeper

Thanks

lol ,, what do you mean "there not as bad as you think"???? if a hot bites you, theres a chance you might die.. true, ,common sense will get you far,, look at me LOL,,, but to keep hots, you need to know what to do when bit, how each animal acts, and certain handeling tequnics that most snake keepers dont have (or dont have the need for).. i know that theres a difference.. iv had copperheads, and been comfortable with them,,, but the first time i hooked a EDB that was quite a bit fatter than a coke can,,, i knew that i had no business being there. would i get use to them if i did it more, probabally,,,, but next time, ill go in with a little more knowlage than just common secse and a hook in my hand.
    spooky

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (12-28-2011),Jessica Loesch (11-26-2011)

Thanks
    tisk tisk you shouldnt get comfortable with venomous snakes. Yea a bite can be horrible. But its the getting bitten part that should never come. I dont believe every hot keeper gets bitten. If you do things right the first time bits should not occur. Once again Respect the snake. Know your limits know the snakes limits. But keep laughing out loud and enjoying your copperheads. There wonderful animals.

Thanks

dude,
    i was being sarcastic about the LOL comment. and i was talking about me being more comfortable being there. if your not comfortable in your surroundings, or enviroment, you have a higher risk of making mistakes.
    i dont have coppers anymore, but yes, they are nice. very docile.
    spooky

Thanks
    So your talking about being more comfortable at your home handling them? I dont understand that. Do you not go field herping? Are you uncomfortable out in the field? Your comfort level should not matter regardless of where your at when handling these snakes as long as your confident you know what your doing. If you had no business handling the eastern you should of never tried. One knows when there confident enough to handle these animals. Going from a copperhead to an eastern is a pretty big step up the totem pole. But I am glad you walked away without suffering a bite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maixx View Post
    Adding to this, I believe it also has a shelf life. But no idea how long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    No matter how careful you are, or even how many prevention steps you have in place it could happen. Just like if you step outside you could be hit by a bus, or Even shot. It's chances in life that make life worth living. I'm not going to disagree with the whole "respect the animal" Because you have to, even if You're handling a little BP. I might get bashed for this post, but I know everyone agrees, it could always happen. I will admit, I want to own a hot, but besides living in IL. (Strict venomous laws) and the fact I already have a family started I can't bring myself to do it. Now don't think I'm trying to start anything with you, just understand what I mean. It could happen..... and personally, I myself believe you shouldn't just be able to go out and buy a venomous snake, I mean, with how many laws there are on guns why not some on snakes? ;/
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    I understand where your coming from and do agree it "could" happen but if done right the chances are very slim. And the whole law thing I believe you should be 18 and show some type of knowledge and caging for the animal but other then that nothing should stop the private keeping of venomous snakes. Its easy for someone who has not kept these animals to imagine the dangers that come with them. And yes they are somewhat different then other snakes they can possibly kill you but when kept right theres really not that much of a difference. This is one reason the WHOLE exotic industry is so screwed with all these laws. Because we bicker inside the industry with what everyone else keeps. We cant get along enough with each other about what we want to keep so how the heck can we fight a government on what we can and can not keep? We have small snake keepers who could care less about big snake keepers and we have big snake keepers that could care less about venomous keepers. When in reality we should all care for everyone and try to make "reasonable" regulations preferably written by someone who has an idea of what they are talking about. Instead of out right bans that we have been getting.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (11-27-2011),Arcapello (08-08-2012),darkbloodwyvern (12-28-2011),jason_ladouceur (11-28-2011),JLC (11-27-2011),Kara (11-28-2011)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast