Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: ♥ Baytril Dosage??? Really???♥

Quote Originally Posted by tejanastar View Post
    OK-

So 3 of my snakes are exhibiting some RI symptoms.

1.) She has a little mucous in her mouth around the jaw line. NO BUBBLES or anything like that.

2.)Wheeze and pop 2 times yesterday while at the vet. NO MUCOUS.

3.)Wheezing/mucous in mouth and around jaw line.

Vet Visit: Ok, took all 3 snakes to the vet yesterday. She said that #1 and #3 seem to have a slight case of RI and that I should give them ORAL suspension of Baytril daily for 2-3 weeks. Then, #2 apparently does not show a sign of RI but to give him some too just to 'keep it away'.

PROBLEM: She said that EACH snake takes the SAME amount which is 2.0mL??? This does NOT seem right as each snake weights a different weight.

#1-897gr
    #2-845gr
    #3-1027gr

I thought that the dosage was based on grams/lb of the snake??? This seems like too much! I don't want to OD them which I have heard is very possible to do with Baytril. I'm scared to give them the medicine. I tried calling the Vet back this morning (Saturday morning clinic) but she was not available and apparently since she is the only Reptile vet there she only comes in every other Friday. I asked the lady to 'page' her but she said that they do NOT do that. If the Vet calls in that they would give her a message. So, that means I won't be able to speak to her until December 2nd. I can't wait that long to treat them.

I called other vets in town which no one saw Reptiles except for the clinic 1 1/2hr away. I asked them if they could tell me the right amount to give my babies of the Baytril and that my vet was unavailable until the 2nd. EACH vet office told me the same thing, "You will have to make an appointment..bla bla bla" I ALREADY spent $175 for all of them to be seen plus the $53 for the medicine. I can not afford another appointment at a whole new office for all 3 of them just so I can get told the correct dosage for my babies.

Can anyone help me? Please????
    Last time I used Baytril, it was on an animal I took back from a customer on a right of first refusal. It came into QT with an advanced RI. The vet put it on Baytril while we were waiting for the culture results.

The dosage was 10mg/kg. Using that dosage your snakes should have been prescribed:

For the 897 gram snake: 0.4 ml

For the 845 gram snake: 0.4 ml

For the 1027 gram snake: 0.45 ml

RIs that culture sensitive to Bayril are often dosed at 5 mg/kg. I'm ASSuming that your vet did not do a culture and went with the lowest dose. That's something else I'd query him/her about.

Anyway, at that lower rate, your dosages would be 0.2 ml, 0.2 ml and 0.22 ml (0.2 ml).

Call them out on the typo. You paid good money to get accurate information and guidance. It's pathetic that a bunch of people with no veterinary degree were able to give you more accurate info.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

janett (11-21-2011),Jessica Loesch (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    The dosage is dead on.

My vet if i need anything i just call up and i get the Rx. Dosages re given and ill write them down.

The way to figure out dosages is this.

Snakes weight in LBS x .45= weight in KG then Divide by4 and you get your dosate in CC.

so your one snake of 845g ill use as an example.

845 in lbs is 1.86lbs

1.86lbs x .45=.837kg divided by 4 = .209cc. Which is transferred to 2ML per dosage

Ah ok...I got you. .209cc is .2ml so then .109cc would be .1Ml. Right? Asked about the F10 since I heard BHB uses it for all their snakes for fogging/RI.

Also, here is the picture of the syringe NO numbers on it. The Baytril is 2.27% and a 20ML bottle.

Thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to janett For This Useful Post:

RichsBallPythons (11-20-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tejanastar View Post
    Ah ok...I got you. .209cc is .2ml so then .109cc would be .1Ml. Right? Asked about the F10 since I heard BHB uses it for all their snakes for fogging/RI.

Also, here is the picture of the syringe NO numbers on it. The Baytril is 2.27% and a 20ML bottle.

Thanks.
    I used to help at BHB and used the F10 there and it dont help at all for RIs.

And if that syringe has any baytril in it then thats .2ml not 2ml which is spot on for right dosage. As that syringe FULL is 1ML and you will see why i said 2ML is A LOT
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 11-20-2011 at 02:59 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    I used to help at BHB and used the F10 there and it dont help at all for RIs.

And if that syringe has any baytril in it then thats .2ml not 2ml which is spot on for right dosage. As that syringe FULL is 1ML and you will see why i said 2ML is A LOT

I have to fill it up manually daily. They aren't pre-filled. I see. Well, that is awesome that your worked for BHB. I heard they are great guys but never bought from them. Awesome. Thank you so much. You have totally answered all my questions. Do you have facebook by chance?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Thank you, I just sent you requests on both pages. I am new to breeding this year and I had to pull out of breeding on the account of the RI. I need to make sure that my babies are in best condition. =)

I really appreciate your help. You are an amazing person to help a breeder just getting started. =)

I can only hope to be as successful as you. Thank you again for your time. =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Last time I used Baytril, it was on an animal I took back from a customer on a right of first refusal. It came into QT with an advanced RI. The vet put it on Baytril while we were waiting for the culture results.

The dosage was 10mg/kg. Using that dosage your snakes should have been prescribed:

For the 897 gram snake: 0.4 ml

For the 845 gram snake: 0.4 ml

For the 1027 gram snake: 0.45 ml

RIs that culture sensitive to Bayril are often dosed at 5 mg/kg. I'm ASSuming that your vet did not do a culture and went with the lowest dose. That's something else I'd query him/her about.

Anyway, at that lower rate, your dosages would be 0.2 ml, 0.2 ml and 0.22 ml (0.2 ml).

Call them out on the typo. You paid good money to get accurate information and guidance. It's pathetic that a bunch of people with no veterinary degree were able to give you more accurate info.
    Thank you so much. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to take a chance of OD'ing them as it is easy ive read. TG I didn't go with what the vet said they would be ODed for sure!

Thanks so much. I see your name a lot on the forum. I love the profile picture! You are a very very smart man. I enjoy reading your posts. You are a combination of sarcasim/in your face kind of man. I LOVE IT.

Thanks again!

Thanks

I recieved sick snakes from somebody at one time. The dosage I gave them was .1 ML per 500g of animal. I also did oral for 10 days(I don't like the thought of possible burns to the scales at the injection site). I would pull up .1 ML and add .2 ML of water just to help ease the concentration on the animals stomach. The treatment rendered the issue with no further problems. Hope your animals pull through for you. Sounds like you caught it in time.
    Mike

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

janett (11-21-2011)

Thanks

First of all, you need to know the strength of the enrofloxacin (baytril) the vet gave you. there's different strengths , I am not familiar with 2.27 % I would have to know the mg/ml.

That would most likely be 10 mg per ml or 20 mg per ml then you could calculate what the dosage for your snake is, for each individual. the usual dosage for URI is 5mg per kg (1000gr) or 5mg/kg for injection, but it has to be higher if given PO (by mouth). Usually the dosage doubles when given orally because the body absorbs less of the medication when taken orally than when taken injectable. So, if you are giving the meds by mouth the dosage would be 10 mg/kg.

I'm a vet tech (not reptile vet tech) but I own snakes (not ball pythons) so I decided to sign up for this forum to answer your question. My 20 lbs Colombian boa is about 9 kg, if he needs 10 mg per kg, he needs 90 mg, if the baytril is 10 mg per ml, then he needs 9 ml of baytril. And just before I forget, baytril is administered once daily, so every 24 hours. that's what PO SID means. By mouth once daily. Hope this helps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234