Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

3 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

Re: ♥ Baytril Dosage??? Really???♥

Quote Originally Posted by tejanastar View Post
    Yeah, see something is not making sense....the vet said 2.0mL for each one daily. If a 2000 gr snake is taking 1.0Ml then 2.0Ml will most likey kill a 897 gram ball python....

I don't think you'll kill anybody, but if you're worried go with your gut and lower the dosage (I would speak first with your vet though before changing dosage levels).

And worst case scenario: bite it money wise and take them all to another vet. If you think that something isn't right with your current vet I say go to someone who you're more comfortable with.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks
    Found this quote on another forum to compare to

i use oral baytril 2.5%

0.2ml per kg of body wieght is a weak dose

0.4ml per kilo of body wieght is the strongest dose

in the 2.5% strength theres 25mg of baytril in every 1ml of the solution

the weakest dose is adminestered daily

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Loesch View Post
    In that case, I would question the dose. I'm sure they will get about the same per snake, but you didn't mention that the amount was higher than normal. I'd call another vet in another town and ask their opinion.

Tried that, that was actually the 1st thing I did...First thing they said was:

"Are you a patient of ours."

my response was, "No" (if I say yes they will try to pull the chart)

Then they say, "Well, im sorry but we can't tell you anything unless you make an appointment so we can see what is really going on."

I already know what is going on, $175 told me that with the other vet. Just need to know the right dosage. =(

Which no one will help me at the vets offices unless I make another appointment which is pointless. I have the medicine just afraid to give it to them.

Thanks
    Here you go

http://www.leaplizard.com/articles/dosage.html

Maybe she said .2 or mistyped it.

EDIT: dunno if that helps or not actually.
    Last edited by Jessica Loesch; 11-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Muffy's Morphs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks
    Oral vs injectable isn't comparing the same thing though. If you're doing 2cc oral that doesn't seem too bad to me. If you were trying to inject 2cc's into a 800g snake though then I'd be concerned.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to devildog_dk For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tejanastar View Post
    Well, my Vet actually AGREED to see my SPIDER BALL because I had to explain to her that it is the SAME as a Ball Python just different genetics. The office kept telling me, "Mam' mam'...we don't see Spiders!!"

I know that Baytril can kill a snake if over dosed...not to mention dehydrating, and basically if I give them too much it could kill them, if I give them too little it make take a longer time to get them better in which case what if im 'wasting' the medicine and then while they are only getting a 'small' dose the bacteria (RI) could start fighting off the 'little' medicine and then all that vet cost and medicine cost won't help...

Then...I'll have to take them back to the vet. Isn't there an online Baytril dosage chart for snakes? I saw one for dogs and cats...but can't find a thing on snakes. =( This would be helpful for a lot of people I would think.
    I know what you mean, I feel like the 300 I spent on our vet bills has been wasted Because it hasn't done anything, and the same thing happened when my fiancée said "pastel" ball pythong the receptionist said "what is a pastel?" And to make it worse there are multiple receptionist that can answer and they NEVER take down a thing. I wish there were dosages online, and I agree we should be able to buy them, but they're "dangerous" I could rant forever on about this, but the topic at hand is getting your snake better.. dare I say it, follow the vets advice, there a lot better then ours is. (Visit #4 Tuesday...) but, if you notice ANY of the snakes getting worse get ahold of that vet and ring them! Good luck! I hope yours is Better then ours!
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks
    Most vet manuals I've seen suggest using 10mg/kg every other day

Baytril 2.27% solution contains 22.7 mg of enrofloxacin per mL (or cc).

So 10mg per kg / 22.7 mg per mL = .44 mL of Baytril 2.27% solution per 1000g of snake

Consult a vet first but that should be a typical dose.
    This is the strong dose. So the light dose daily would be .22, or .2 as your vet probably meant to prescribe. Sounds like its a case of typo to me.

Muffy's Morphs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    I don't think you'll kill anybody, but if you're worried go with your gut and lower the dosage (I would speak first with your vet though before changing dosage levels).

And worst case scenario: bite it money wise and take them all to another vet. If you think that something isn't right with your current vet I say go to someone who you're more comfortable with.
    I would def. do that if I had the money. I was working full time (im a mechanic) and my husband was working full time (construction) and my 5yr old has Autism. Well, last year December my hot pink 2 door eclipse was parked on the emergency lane at 1:30am with a flat tire and hazards on. This was off of I-35. Anyway, a 18 wheeler slammed into the back of my car going 85mph. Apparently didn't see my lights. My 5yr old had to have his skull reconstructed which they did a really good job. I had 4 broken neck bones, 4 spinal fractures, and 3 spinal bursts. I have 2 bars that run along my spine with 10 screws and a bracket. THANK GOD I am walking! My husband had to have a full knee replacement in September. He is still in physical therapy.

We live off disability and it ain't much. So, right now I can't afford to take them anywhere else. Spent everything I had to take them yesterday. I don't get paid until the 1st and then I might as well wait until the 2nd to speak to the vet that I took them to yesterday.

I just wanted to start them on it now since it is RI it is best to start them ASAP. Just that I am being a concerned owner and NOT wanting them to overdose which IS EASY to do with a ball.

So, that is pretty much where I am at.

Thanks

Here is a couple quick pics just so you guys know....

BEFORE:

AFTER (my husband by the trunk)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Loesch View Post
    This is the strong dose. So the light dose daily would be .22, or .2 as your vet probably meant to prescribe. Sounds like its a case of typo to me.
    Awesome, thanks for the info...maybe it was a typo.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to janett For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (11-20-2011)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast