Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

2 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

♥ Baytril Dosage??? Really???♥

OK-

So 3 of my snakes are exhibiting some RI symptoms.

1.) She has a little mucous in her mouth around the jaw line. NO BUBBLES or anything like that.

2.)Wheeze and pop 2 times yesterday while at the vet. NO MUCOUS.

3.)Wheezing/mucous in mouth and around jaw line.

Vet Visit: Ok, took all 3 snakes to the vet yesterday. She said that #1 and #3 seem to have a slight case of RI and that I should give them ORAL suspension of Baytril daily for 2-3 weeks. Then, #2 apparently does not show a sign of RI but to give him some too just to 'keep it away'.

PROBLEM: She said that EACH snake takes the SAME amount which is 2.0mL??? This does NOT seem right as each snake weights a different weight.

#1-897gr
    #2-845gr
    #3-1027gr

I thought that the dosage was based on grams/lb of the snake??? This seems like too much! I don't want to OD them which I have heard is very possible to do with Baytril. I'm scared to give them the medicine. I tried calling the Vet back this morning (Saturday morning clinic) but she was not available and apparently since she is the only Reptile vet there she only comes in every other Friday. I asked the lady to 'page' her but she said that they do NOT do that. If the Vet calls in that they would give her a message. So, that means I won't be able to speak to her until December 2nd. I can't wait that long to treat them.

I called other vets in town which no one saw Reptiles except for the clinic 1 1/2hr away. I asked them if they could tell me the right amount to give my babies of the Baytril and that my vet was unavailable until the 2nd. EACH vet office told me the same thing, "You will have to make an appointment..bla bla bla" I ALREADY spent $175 for all of them to be seen plus the $53 for the medicine. I can not afford another appointment at a whole new office for all 3 of them just so I can get told the correct dosage for my babies.

Can anyone help me? Please????

Thanks
    They really aren't that far apart in weight, and its probably something like 1 ml/500g (dont know exact dose recommendation, just a guess off of what you were told) or something so, for example, I don't know why you would do 2.1 for one and 2.3 for another when that is kind of hard to measure. Remember, this is the safe level for dose, not the toxic level. So they will be fine.
    Last edited by Jessica Loesch; 11-20-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Re: ♥ Baytril Dosage??? Really???♥

She's a reptile vet, trust her judgement. She knows what she's doing.

0.1 Normal (Captain Hook) (Hooked deformation on tip of tail)
    1.0 Pastel Poss het Albino (Thor)
    0.1 Normal (Chloe)
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python (Jade)
    0.1 Borneo Black Blood Python (Kira)
    Coming soon:
    1.0 Mojave het Albino
    0.1 Mojave het Albino

5. The Following User Says Thank You to evan385 For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evan385 View Post
    She's a reptile vet, trust her judgement. She knows what she's doing.
    The Baytril that is prescribed is 2.27% and last time I saw her she prescribed the same Baytril for my big girl that is 1027 grams. and She was only getting 0.1ML. So, thats why I think something isn't right here.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tejanastar View Post
    The Baytril that is prescribed is 2.27% and last time I saw her she prescribed the same Baytril for my big girl that is 1027 grams. and She was only getting 0.1ML. So, thats why I think something isn't right here.....
    I don't know..give smaller doses if that makes you feel better
    Better to do that then spend more money at another vet or not treat them.

0.1 Normal (Captain Hook) (Hooked deformation on tip of tail)
    1.0 Pastel Poss het Albino (Thor)
    0.1 Normal (Chloe)
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python (Jade)
    0.1 Borneo Black Blood Python (Kira)
    Coming soon:
    1.0 Mojave het Albino
    0.1 Mojave het Albino

8. The Following User Says Thank You to evan385 For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

You're in the dame boat we are in.. my fiancée and I have a super pastel who's sick and fighting a R.I. and has been for two months. Vet these days are absolutely outrageous... and it's BS. I have not years of one vet actually faring for a snake, to make it worse our vet refuses to see our Burmese Because he's "large and dangerous" but shell see green iguanas.... :/ I'm not a vet, and I can't tell you exactly what to do, your best bet is to just do What they say, or slightly reduce the dosage.. but someone else who has more experience will help you more then I can. My main point was to tell you, you're not alone in this.. just be happy the vets are even willing to take you, I tried asking a Herpetoligst (s.p. error) about it and he said "go see a vet, and Because you saw a vet I can't give you Even a but of advice, they would take my license for practicing without one" it's b.s.... and to make it worse our vet almost killed our snake.. another story. Sorry I sorta ranted, more or less wanted to just tell you, you're not alone and try to give you a bit advice, but I lack that. good luck with your babies battles!
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Hmmm, well to compare: my 2000 gram girl is getting 1.0 mL/cc each day via injections for her mild RI.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    You're in the dame boat we are in.. my fiancée and I have a super pastel who's sick and fighting a R.I. and has been for two months. Vet these days are absolutely outrageous... and it's BS. I have not years of one vet actually faring for a snake, to make it worse our vet refuses to see our Burmese Because he's "large and dangerous" but shell see green iguanas.... :/ I'm not a vet, and I can't tell you exactly what to do, your best bet is to just do What they say, or slightly reduce the dosage.. but someone else who has more experience will help you more then I can. My main point was to tell you, you're not alone in this.. just be happy the vets are even willing to take you, I tried asking a Herpetoligst (s.p. error) about it and he said "go see a vet, and Because you saw a vet I can't give you Even a but of advice, they would take my license for practicing without one" it's b.s.... and to make it worse our vet almost killed our snake.. another story. Sorry I sorta ranted, more or less wanted to just tell you, you're not alone and try to give you a bit advice, but I lack that. good luck with your babies battles!
    Well, my Vet actually AGREED to see my SPIDER BALL because I had to explain to her that it is the SAME as a Ball Python just different genetics. The office kept telling me, "Mam' mam'...we don't see Spiders!!"

I know that Baytril can kill a snake if over dosed...not to mention dehydrating, and basically if I give them too much it could kill them, if I give them too little it make take a longer time to get them better in which case what if im 'wasting' the medicine and then while they are only getting a 'small' dose the bacteria (RI) could start fighting off the 'little' medicine and then all that vet cost and medicine cost won't help...

Then...I'll have to take them back to the vet. Isn't there an online Baytril dosage chart for snakes? I saw one for dogs and cats...but can't find a thing on snakes. =( This would be helpful for a lot of people I would think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    Hmmm, well to compare: my 2000 gram girl is getting 1.0 mL/cc each day via injections for her mild RI.

Yeah, see something is not making sense....the vet said 2.0mL for each one daily. If a 2000 gr snake is taking 1.0Ml then 2.0Ml will most likey kill a 897 gram ball python....

Thanks
    In that case, I would question the dose. I'm sure they will get about the same per snake, but you didn't mention that the amount was higher than normal. I'd call another vet in another town and ask their opinion.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

janett (11-20-2011)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast