Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,736

0 members and 2,736 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

breeding questions..

So.. about 6 weeks ago we acquired our super pastel. Who we put directly in with our black pastel. (I know, no quarantine and im lucky she's not sick Because he was) it was my mistake and please don't ring me for it. So I let them be together two days. And both days the two were wrapped around each other. My question here, I didn't see a lock but once when they started, can she still be gravid from only one or even a few locks? My second. Our black pastel (the female) just shed a month ago, now she is on the fourth day into the next shed cycle. Is this Because she is gravid? She's starting to coil around objects, but to be honest I've never once seen her soak, and ever since we put the male in with her originally she's been more snippy, she was a rescued snake and always a bit snippy but never once took a strike at me until recently. So.. since I can't upload a picture yet,can I please get a best guess as to if She is or isn't? I mean she's growing larger and heavier, and she hasn't eaten in about 4 weeks. If yes, any advice to give to me? All is welcome!
    Last edited by zeion97; 11-18-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: corrections to spelling
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    isn't gravid
    bowl wrapping is what they do when they are cooling themselves and starting to grow follicles.
    It takes a more than a month to grow them large enough to ovulate and become gravid.
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 11-18-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

piedplus (11-19-2011),zeion97 (11-18-2011)

Thanks

Re: breeding questions..

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    isn't gravid
    bowl wrapping is what they do when they are cooling themselves and starting to grow follicles.
    It takes a more than a month to grow them large enough to ovulate and become gravid.
    Ah. Thank You. I kinda let this breeding season go Because I only have two adults, and our super pastel is fighting a R.I. in your personal opinion should I educate myself more depth into breeding? I just skimmed through it but sorta put aside all the info after I thought our breeding plans were down the tubem
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Doing as much research before starting to breed is an excellent idea, as is studying how to build an incubator and a hatchling rack, how to wire flexwatt up, how to start babies eating, how to sell babies, etc. etc.
    The how to list is quite long and I think many people rush in way too fast without realizing all that there is to "breeding" and then get overwhelmed, it really is easy to do.

That said the real knowledge comes from actually doing the breeding, learning what you can from any source you can and then apply it as best you can to your situation.
    Jerry Robertson

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

iCandiBallPythons (11-22-2011),zeion97 (11-22-2011)

Thanks

You can never go wrong with research. Asking questions on forums, at shows or anywhere is a good way to learn from people with experience. Also watch videos, YouTube has a bunch of videos from people showing off their collections. Tons of breeding tips, behavior changes...bowl wrapping, inversion and egg laying, etc. You can also find videos and DIY tips on building racks, incubators and other husbandry necessities. 2011 was my first season breeding and these resources helped me have a successful season. Good luck and have fun.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigfish1975 For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (11-22-2011),zeion97 (11-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Doing as much research before starting to breed is an excellent idea, as is studying how to build an incubator and a hatchling rack, how to wire flexwatt up, how to start babies eating, how to sell babies, etc. etc.
    The how to list is quite long and I think many people rush in way too fast without realizing all that there is to "breeding" and then get overwhelmed, it really is easy to do.

That said the real knowledge comes from actually doing the breeding, learning what you can from any source you can and then apply it as best you can to your situation.
    Thanks. I've been put some research into what to do and all, just as I'm trying to find the best rack (want to start the switch over) it's a lot to take in but itself part of owning the pet. I had a large saving set up for this, but hey stuff happens. If need be, I'll use a plastic tub as an incubater!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish1975 View Post
    You can never go wrong with research. Asking questions on forums, at shows or anywhere is a good way to learn from people with experience. Also watch videos, YouTube has a bunch of videos from people showing off their collections. Tons of breeding tips, behavior changes...bowl wrapping, inversion and egg laying, etc. You can also find videos and DIY tips on building racks, incubators and other husbandry necessities. 2011 was my first season breeding and these resources helped me have a successful season. Good luck and have fun.
    Very nice. To be honest I had some hopes to start this season, but as I just said I had some financial issues, but its life! I've still got awhile if need be.

To your season? What did you produce?

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    They will typically breed anytime of the year, not just a "certain set of months" out of the year
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    zeion97,

I only bred Normal females this 2011 season. Its a good way to get your feet wet. I bred my Pastel YB male to 3 females and my Hypo Mojave male to 2 . I got 4 clutches and they resulted as follows:

Clutch #1 (12 eggs) 0.5 Pastel YB, 3.2 Pastels, 2.0 Yellowbelly
    Clutch #2 (8 eggs) 0.1 Pastel YB, 1.1 Yellowbelly, 3.2 Normal
    Clutch #3 (10 eggs) 3.3 Mojave 100% het OG, 1.3 100% het OG
    Clutch #4 (4 eggs) 0.1 Pastel YB, 0.3 Yellowbelly

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in the advice columns is to try and figure out how to move the offspring before you have them. Luckily I made some contacts with a local reptile shop owner which led to multiple contacts. This may save you to trouble of housing a large number of babies for an extended period of time. I held back 0.5 Pastel YB and the remaining 28 babies all have new homes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfish1975 For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (12-12-2011)