Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

1 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls?

Thanks
    The test I was speaking of was the ATTS test conducted regularly each year. From what I understand the training, age, and breed are all taken into account in measuring temprement. IE: A dog who's has extensive training is not measured in the same manner as one who has relatively no training. Granted I still regard these things as facts to add to a bigger picture, but it is still food for thought when you see pit bulls being scored as high or higher than breeds that people seem ready to quote as great family pets, yet pit bulls are usually given a terrible review by people who have never had one or been around them.

I have been around pits before and never met one that wasn't friendly, but I also live in a fairly good area where I would assume most people are not trying to breed or harbor aggressive animals.

If we did choose to adopt an adult dog of any breed we would be looking into breed specific and reputable rescues. I want to make sure anywhere I adopt a dog from they have had enough time to learn the dogs personality and temprement. Every dog is different and the upbringing will have a big impact. I want to know that any dog I bring into my home is good with children, I do not want to further the risk of having any animal in my house with my daughter because it's known to be aggressive. Granted sometimes accidents happen, I understand if she hurts them then something could go wrong, but that's not a typical occurence.

In general we are just gathering information right now for the possibility in the future.
    0.5 Normal - Crawly, Bonnie, Sally, Oracle, and Silver
    1.1 Spider - Parker and Clyde
    1.0 100% Het Albino - Lucky
    0.1 Cinnamon - Riddle
    1.0 Lesser Cinnamon - Sinatra
    1.1 Pastel Possible Het OG - Mellow and Squirt
    0.1 Albino - Sunny
    0.2 Mojave - Cassiopeia and Cleopatra
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly - Jigsaw
    1.0 Calico - Zeus

Thanks

Re: Pit Bulls?

Animal aggression is a concern with any dog. But with breeds that were breed for blood sports like the APBT that concern is of course more of an issue. That being said I believe that with proper socialization that most if not all APBT can be quite well behaved around other animals. They will always need you to keep a close eye on them when interacting with other dogs but if you bring them up properly you should have minimal concerns in that department. As far as aggression towards people, especially children goes this should NEVER be an issue with the breed! They were breed for 100’s of years as pit dogs. They were never breed for security work. In fact most lines were selectively breed for a lack of human aggression because it made it safer for the handlers to separate 2 fired up dogs at the end of a fight. Even during the early years of this breed when they were arguably at their most ferocious, even the most aggressive of them were welcomed into the owners homes and around there children. In any breed there will always be exceptions of course but in my experience they are without a doubt the most patient, gentle and loving of dogs around children.

Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

Crawly's Mom (11-16-2011),PitOnTheProwl (11-18-2011)

Thanks
    Pitbulls are sweet dogs that will stay loyal to you. I have a Blue Brindle pit and she is the most loving thing in the world.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellabob For This Useful Post:

Crawly's Mom (11-16-2011)

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    To me, Pit's are the best dog. I trust my pit with children more than any of my other dogs. If you get them while young, properly socialize them with or children and other dogs, and train them properly, you will have the best dog period. They (as all other dogs) are a reflection of their upbringing. If they aren't use to kids and other dogs then you may have an issue, but if introduced to EVERYTHING from a young age, they will be great dogs. The bad thing about Pit's is not that they are "aggressive" is that they are powerful, and this put into the wrong care can equal bad things. To me, Chihuahua's are way more aggressive than Pit's, difference is you can literally swat a chihuahua away, but a pit isn't so easy.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnakeEye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree, chihuahuas are torrents and I hate them.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

bad-one (11-21-2011)

Thanks
    With pits, it's all about the owner and how they raise the dog. My best friend (basically my brother) had a female pit for about 8 years who was the BEST dog I've ever been around. Even with the bad rap that pits get, I trusted this dog around my two young kids more than I would have trusted a chihuahua. And it's because my buddy raised her right. You have to be FIRM with pits in their discipline. You need to establish early on that YOU are the alpha and the provider. Once you gain their trust and respect, they are the most loyal breed you'll find...

Here's a pic just because it's one of my favorites...

Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

Carlene16 (11-17-2011),Crawly's Mom (11-16-2011),Jessica Loesch (11-16-2011),PitOnTheProwl (11-18-2011)

Thanks

now THAT is classic!!!!
    spooky

Thanks
    All of the pictures everyone has shared are fantastic! Beautiful dogs, you all have
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Pitbulls are great and can be great with children.

HOWEVER, I'd suggest you NOT get a puppy with a 2.5 year old, especially a large high energy breed. You could probably pull it off just fine, but I would want to save myself a large amount of my personal energy handling a toddler and a high energy and athletic dog at the same time.

A potential injury from pitbulls exists from jumping and the size difference between a very young child and a muscular pit. Every pit pup I've known were all jumpers at that "mostly full grown but still VERY much a puppy" stage and weren't 100% obedient with regards to jumping on people when excited and happy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Crawly's Mom (11-16-2011),Jessica Loesch (11-16-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Pitbulls are great and can be great with children.

HOWEVER, I'd suggest you NOT get a puppy with a 2.5 year old, especially a large high energy breed. You could probably pull it off just fine, but I would want to save myself a large amount of my personal energy handling a toddler and a high energy and athletic dog at the same time.

A potential injury from pitbulls exists from jumping and the size difference between a very young child and a muscular pit. Every pit pup I've known were all jumpers at that "mostly full grown but still VERY much a puppy" stage and weren't 100% obedient with regards to jumping on people when excited and happy.
    This is VERY true... While my buddy's pit was very obedient and well behaved, she was FULL of energy, even as an "adult". At 6 and 7 years old, she still had the energy of a puppy and was very excitable. She'd jump on your lap and darn near lick your face OFF the second you got in the door from work, but would calm down after getting some love and attention...

They do seem to take just as much energy as raising a toddler... Good point there...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast