Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,038

1 members and 2,037 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Feeding adventure story

Saturdays are dinner days for the snakes, and recently my boa Satin has turned into a maniac when it comes to food. She'll sit at the doors and wait for someone to open them, and then try to tag the first thing that moves. Yesterday was NO EXCEPTION. I opened her tank and went to throw the rat in (I don't offer it anymore, she'd just try to take my hand off), and she ignores the rat and decides she's gonna come out instead. FIRST MISTAKE: I tried to reach under the door and push her back in by her midsection since I didn't think she had noticed the food yet. Wrong; she made a grab for my hand, grazed it (left papercut-like marks from where her teeth grazed), and ended up tagging and coiling the first thing she got a hold of...

My pajama pants.

I tried to gently pull them away from her, but she coiled tighter! I didn't wanna pull too hard for fear of pulling her teeth out or something. The whole time I was trying to help her while trying NOT to laugh at the sight of a big, bad snake with green plaid pants in her mouth! Eventually my boyfriend came in and we ended up wiggling the rat in front of her nose, and she let go of my pants for something more rodent-y and edible.

I wish I had gotten pictures, but I was too busy trying to think of a way to get the pants away from her without her letting go and getting ME instead. Just thought I'd share the story of the adventure with you guys! Anything can happen on feeding day.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks

Re: Feeding adventure story

Haha thats pretty funny! sounds like it may be time to up the feeding and feed more frequently

glad you didnt get hurt or worse eaten by your big bad killer. be careful, snakes are all super aggressive, and eat anything in sight.
    0.1 Normal BP - Lily
    1.0 Ghost Corn - Colonel "Kernal" Patton A.K.A. Cornbread.
    1.0 Hog Island - King Tut

Thanks
    Hahaha definitely a funny story

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BFT12890 View Post
    Haha thats pretty funny! sounds like it may be time to up the feeding and feed more frequently

glad you didnt get hurt or worse eaten by your big bad killer. be careful, snakes are all super aggressive, and eat anything in sight.
    She already eats a "medium" rat every 7 days that leaves a noticeable lump in her belly, any bigger rat and she'd probably explode, haha. Not that she wouldn't die trying.
    I know, I should be careful; the pants could be my head one day!

Quote Originally Posted by babyknees View Post
    Hahaha definitely a funny story
    Satin never fails to make feeding day fun (and nerve-racking).
    --------
    1.0 Husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    She already eats a "medium" rat every 7 days that leaves a noticeable lump in her belly, any bigger rat and she'd probably explode, haha. Not that she wouldn't die trying.
    I know, I should be careful; the pants could be my head one day!
    Haha, you got that right but I envy you, someday i too will have a red tail along with a bunch of others of course. but red tails are one of my favorites
    Last edited by BFT12890; 11-14-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    0.1 Normal BP - Lily
    1.0 Ghost Corn - Colonel "Kernal" Patton A.K.A. Cornbread.
    1.0 Hog Island - King Tut

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    If you don't have a snake hook yet, I certainly think it's time for one and maybe a cage modification so you can drop the rat in from above.

That's what I do with my girl currently. She's in a 40 breeder so I just slide the top back and drop the rat pup in.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    my big adult bp has started acting the same way. i usually hit the f/t rats with a hair dryer in my room to kinda scent up the place for everyone, well it seems to work super well for Martin. the last two feeding he's decided to sit at the front of his tub and strike at anything moving, even if its outside of the tub and he has to smack himself against it. needless to say my feeding days have also gotten a little interesting lately.
    1.2 normals Eddie, Cady, Cari
    1.0 Pewter Jeffey
    0.1 Cinnamon Bubbles
    0.1 pastel Rosalba (Rosie)
    1.0 unknown morph Abba
    0.1 Hypo Boa Castrina
    0.1 Dumeril Boa Stefani

Room-mate's
    1.0 Het G-Stripe Baby-G
    1.0 pastel het vpi axanthic Paxley

Shared custody
    1.0 normal Martin
    0.1 Het VPI axanthic Casey

Thanks
    i have a big female named alice that does the same stuff. recently though she has been not eating but being VERY cage aggressive. when you put a rat in she throws her body at it while hissing. If the rat moves she throws her body more in an effort to pin it to the tub walls. she has refuse food for nearly 3 weeks now... im told her follicles are growing and not to worry but i thought id share.
    0.1 wifey, 1.1 twins, 1.2 Mojave, 0.1 het hypo, 0.5 normal, 1.1 Pastel, 1.1 Spider, 0.3 Het Albino, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Albino KSB, 2.2 Het pied, 0.1 Pastel Het pied, 1.0 Ghost/Hypo, 1.0 PH Albino Cal King, 0.0.1 sun conure, 1.1 normal fat tail gecko, 0.1 Rat Terrorist named Jenny

Thanks
    I told my boyfriend that what I want for Christmas are some long feeder tongs. A snake hook might be a good idea too, but to get either one in a big enough size we'd have to order them online, and we're broke. All I have right now are 10" tongs that work great for my 620g Ball, not so well for my 5 lb. boa.

Although she doesn't strike unless something touches her. I can open the door and stand there in front of her and she'll just wander around or look at me, but the first thing that touches her, she whips around to get it. And it's ONLY on Saturday nights. Can snakes tell time like that? As in at least a certain amount of days pass and then they get food?
    --------
    1.0 Husband