Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

1 members and 3,225 guests
myah,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Black blood info wanted..

At the next expo , I will be getting a baby black blood... I've been reading a lot and also for some info on ssnakes.com as well, I just want to know all the tips, and facts you blood owners on here can let me know. Thanks in Advance.. also o did search.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Black blood info wanted..

Pretty basic, just tell you what has worked for me...

Ambient temp at 82, hot spot 88, cool side no less than 78, prefer 80. Substrate, don't waste money or hassle, use paper towel or contractor paper. 2 hides, one cool side one hot side. Babies, feed once every five days, juv, once every week. When handling, make slow movements, fast movements will put on defensive. Act slow, deliberate. Support body fully, if you dont, bad situation. Respect them as they have tremendous power even as juveniles. Keep humidity at 60-65%, ijn shed I keep mine at 65 - 75%.

Thanks

That's exciting!! Welcome to the world of Blood .

The care for the Short-Tails are all generally the same. I keep my Blood at room temperature since they are accustomed to lower temperatures, so about 81F-83F. The cool side/ambient is kept no lower than 75F. I have my girl on Cypress mulch for humidity reasons, but paper towels, newspaper, coco husk, etc. works fine as long as you can get the humidity level to about 60-70%. Also keep the substrate deep enough (1-2 inches) to where the snake can burrow. This way you do not have to provide a hide since they burrow most of the time. I always provide a large water dish she can submerge her body into and fit perfectly in. A lot of Bloods love to soak so providing a decent sized dish is definitely suggested.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

good advice...my only difference is the substrate...you can use coco husk/cypress mulch but my only contention (and this isn't to say its wrong, just preference) is that cypress compared to paper towel is a preference..I have used all of the substrates in the past 20 years, and paper towel/contractors paper is honestly the easiest and best to control...easy to spot waste and easy to keep temps/humidity.

Not saying my opinion is the nest, just what I have experienced..paper towel/contractors paper, large water bowl, proper temps, happy snake

Thanks
    I guess I'll give you my on substrate. I currently use both either one is just as easy to clean. It takes me 5 min to change and clean newspaper and 30 minutes to change and clean cypress, but I change cypress every 1-2 months and paper towels/ newspaper every week. Remember bloods like to burrow so if you use newspaper or paper towels place an extra loose sheet on top.

Paper towels, newspaper, etc... works great for cleaning up poop which happens about every 3 months. However in my opinion its more difficult to maintain humidity with paper towels, but throwing in a box with moss or something will help, also putting the water bowl in the hot side will help.

I use cypress mulch which I bought from my hardware store. NEVER buy colored cypress mulch and ALWAYS make sure their aren't any chemicals. Cypress has a down side which it has tons of small wood fibers and a good percent of dust. I use chicken wire to pan out all the smaller wood pieces and dust from the larger pieces. The reason I do this I was having problems with dust clogging up my bloods nostrils. I also suggest disinfecting the mulch in an oven at 250F for 2 hours; this will kill everything undesirable in the mulch. Cypress mulch is excellent for getting high humidity and maintaining the humidity for long periods of time.

Other mulches like coconut husk will work or reptibark. I've also seen people use potting soil without vermiculite.

-Chris

1.0.0 Albino Red Blood Python (Maximus)
    1.1.5 Crested Gecko
    1.1.0 G pulchripes
    0.0.1 A geniculata
    0.0.1 A versicolor
    0.1.0 G rosea
    1.0 90% Black Lab/ 10% Pitbull (Ryder)
    1.0 Cocker Spaniel (Rocky)

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. i was wondering if i should use a tub, or a 20g long tank, with a plexi glass lid.. also should i handle as a baby, or not really, i heard to handle, and not to handle. thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When I received my 2 bloods I left them alone for the first week. After they had ate, and were given a few days to digest I slowly started to handle them. First for short periods of time. 5-10 minutes a piece. I've had them for a few weeks now and handle them almost every day. It is still for short periods of time, but it is getting longer. Usually 20 minutes a piece. I for one don't want an aggressive blood....
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks
    Tanks aren't preferred, but I would first figure out how you are going to provide heat. Then decide what kind of enclosure you are going to use.

I handle a few times a week with my bloods, but never after they eat, wait at least 48 hrs. My bloods are so nice and calm, my female will hiss, but has never struck at me. Hissing is pretty common.

-Chris

1.1.5 Crested Gecko
    1.1.0 G pulchripes
    0.0.1 A geniculata
    0.0.1 A versicolor
    0.1.0 G rosea

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cmz1234 For This Useful Post:

dragonboy4578 (11-12-2011)

Thanks

2nd that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy4578 View Post
    When I received my 2 bloods I left them alone for the first week. After they had ate, and were given a few days to digest I slowly started to handle them. First for short periods of time. 5-10 minutes a piece. I've had them for a few weeks now and handle them almost every day. It is still for short periods of time, but it is getting longer. Usually 20 minutes a piece. I for one don't want an aggressive blood....

-Chris

1.1.5 Crested Gecko
    1.1.0 G pulchripes
    0.0.1 A geniculata
    0.0.1 A versicolor
    0.1.0 G rosea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cmz1234 For This Useful Post:

dragonboy4578 (11-12-2011)

Thanks

when mine were small, i used each method as mentioned above and made a decision that i would never put any type of substrate other that paper again..
    i always found myself freaking out when the snake was eating its food and in would go a big chip of wood.. its a pain in the arse, and not to mention stressful th both snake and me to try to fish out a piece of wood from a snakes mouth with tongs...
    i think as the bloods get bigger, you can be a bit more "loose" with the temps and humidity. right now, the ambient temp in my snake room is 72*,, the temps in the inclosures is about the same with a hot spot at about 80*.
    the humidity is at 59% in one,, a little higher in the other.. when they get ready to shed,, ill jack up the humidity.
    there just on paper in AP T10's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast