Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: whats a good starting moniter

Quote Originally Posted by ball python 22 View Post
    yes i know they are more expensive to keep take a lot more time than ball pythons yes i have the space im just asking what species i should start off with first
    What do you know about the basics of varanid husbandry?

Answer that question and we'll go from there.............

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    People say many of things are difficult. they are only difficult if you don't fully understand what your doing. Juat becase I haven't keep one doesn't mean I don't know about them. That's pretty presumptuous to assume I'm a complete moron. I have kept many difficult species, may not be monitors, but the same applies I did my research and succeeded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    What do you know about the basics of varanid husbandry?

Answer that question and we'll go from there.............
    the enclosure should be twice as long as the animal it self and and as wide as the animal is long but bigger is better

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
    People say many of things are difficult. they are only difficult if you don't fully understand what your doing. Juat becase I haven't keep one doesn't mean I don't know about them. That's pretty presumptuous to assume I'm a complete moron. I have kept many difficult species, may not be monitors, but the same applies I did my research and succeeded.

It's interesting - you've accused people of impugning you and calling you moron - when that hasn't happened, so stop acting like a defensive kid and compose yourself.

People read these forums looking for advice, Bad advice takes many forms - wrong information, spreading hearsay, etc. Another form is giving advice when you have absolutely ZERO experience to back up what you are saying.

Instead of getting all huffy and puffy next time your bad advice is questioned - try this instead - avoid the whole mess by prefacing your "advice" by offering the caveat that you essentially have no experience to back up your recommendations. That way, someone genuinely seeking informed opinions can easily differentiate between your advice and the advice of someone who has actual experience in the subject at hand.

No snake or other lizard approaches the captive husbandry requirements of varanids. Period. If you had actually successfully kept a varanid instead of simply reading about them on forums and books, I think you are probably intelligent enough to not have made such an asinine claim.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 11-10-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ball python 22 View Post
    the enclosure should be twice as long as the animal it self and and as wide as the animal is long but bigger is better
    Really?

What else?
    Last edited by Skiploder; 11-10-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks
    I recommend Komodo dragons!!

I have not kept one, but I have seen cool pictures of them, and they are awesome!!

I always take lizard advice from someone who's collection consists of 3 snakes!!

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

savannahs are my favorite but they are smaller than most monitors well atleast ackies but they get big but not too big and there so happpy and fat and lazy but you would really need to try to feed a savannah on only insects not mice ..in the wild the mostly eat bugs
    1.7 normal bp
    2.1 het pied bp
    1.0 pinstripe
    0.1 giant jungle carpet (Nagini)
    2.4 dinkers !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    I know of two real monitor forums and both of them are extremely hard on newbies.
    I guess it's all monitor people that are extremely hard on newbies. Another good reason to NOT get a monitor.

You "experts" have been great. Peace out!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

kevinb (11-10-2011),ThatGuyEli (06-30-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    I guess it's all monitor people that are extremely hard on newbies. Another good reason to NOT get a monitor.

You "experts" have been great. Peace out!
    I agree. You can't win with "experts".

Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    I always take lizard advice from someone who's collection consists of 3 snakes!!

Chris
    I agree with most of what has been said on this thread, but that's unfair. I know people with one snake (or none) that are more experienced than anyone I've talked to. What's in your current collection shouldn't define your experience as a keeper.

That being said, I know people with dozens of snakes, lizards, etc. that I wouldn't take advice from when it comes to caring for a roach.

I do agree when it comes to keeping Monitors you should SUCCESSFULLY kept (or still keeping) one to give advice. I could have regurgitated information about keeping them all day, but it takes actually keeping them to understand the information and be able to properly convey it to others.

Honestly, if you can't handle the Monitor keepers, you won't be able to handle the Monitors. They are the easiest thing to deal with. They won't claw you, sling feces in your face, shoot out of their enclosure leaving you on a mad dash to wrangle them back, tail whip you, or bite you so hard you are brought to your knees. While there are a lot of species that are considered "docile", all Monitors have bad days and will let you know about it. They love to communicate with their handlers, even if that means becoming sick or dying.

In my opinion, OP should do vastly more research before entertaining the idea of keeping any sort of Monitor or Tegu.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast