Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

1 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rats Sneezing/Dying-Vet Visit Results-Going Forward-NEED HELP

First I know I am reviving a 1.5 year old thread, but I don't care because this is the best thread I have found for dealing with a Myco flare up!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    Update:

It's been three weeks since starting the Tylan and all of the rats are thriving. No sneezing, everyone looks healthy, very active, eating and drinking well. Even the new babies are fat and happy and all the litters were large (16+). Females are pregnant so breeding is continuing.

The pet rats on Baytril and Doxy were better within a few days and are now back to normal. I do not think it was worth the money for those two medications. The Tylan would have done the same thing.

I think culling sped up the recovery of the entire colony. I also think that the Tylan 200 was a better choice than the Tylan 50. I mixed 3ml per gallon instead of the 2.5ml recommended. I will continue with the Tylan for another week (4 total).

I hope this thread helps. Thanks.
    The main question I have is for John, when you talk about your dosing in the quoted post you said you did 3 ml per gallon of the Tylan 200. So I'm Assuming you were using the injectable one and not the powder?
    Also, I'm sure you posted it and I'm just not remembering what you said, but did you change there water bottles daily or every 3 days like ratguide.com suggests?
    And lastly how has everything worked out long term with the treatment, any additional flare ups and additional treatments needed?

Thanks in advance and again I know I just created a Zombie thread!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C&H Exotic Morphs View Post

The main question I have is for John, when you talk about your dosing in the quoted post you said you did 3 ml per gallon of the Tylan 200. So I'm Assuming you were using the injectable one and not the powder? Also, I'm sure you posted it and I'm just not remembering what you said, but did you change there water bottles daily or every 3 days like ratguide.com suggests? And lastly how has everything worked out long term with the treatment, any additional flare ups and additional treatments needed?
    I used the liquid Tylan 200, not the powder. I filled individual water bottles morning and evening with a complete wash on the third day.

All of the remaining breeders were fine and I was able to replace the ones I lost quickly with offspring. The pets are fine and still around. No flare ups and no additional treatments needed.

I have not added any outside rats and the ones I have are all healthy and breeding well so I see no need to add "new blood".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

C&H Exotic Morphs (03-31-2013),PitOnTheProwl (03-31-2013)

BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    I used the liquid Tylan 200, not the powder. I filled individual water bottles morning and evening with a complete wash on the third day.

All of the remaining breeders were fine and I was able to replace the ones I lost quickly with offspring. The pets are fine and still around. No flare ups and no additional treatments needed.

I have not added any outside rats and the ones I have are all healthy and breeding well so I see no need to add "new blood".
    Thank you Sir for starting this thread and the quick response!
    Luckily for us our local feed store was open this morning before we headed to see family for Easter and we were able to get a bottle of the Tylan 200. We just got all the bottles cleaned out and the first round of meds started! So hopefully we will start seeing some improvement over the next week or so.

One last question though? Did you use regular tap water, RO drinking water or distilled water?
    Last edited by C&H Exotic Morphs; 03-31-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C&H Exotic Morphs View Post

One last question though? Did you use regular tap water, RO drinking water or distilled water?
    We have a dual filter system in the kitchen that removes everything down to ??? microns including chemicals, pesticides, blah, blah, blah...

So basically filtered tap water but not just a charcoal filter for taste. It really filters the water.

If you don't have that setup I would go with distilled. Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

C&H Exotic Morphs (03-31-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just an update as well. Going through the second winter with my rats. I have not had to dose Tylan this year and my rats have not come inside like they did last year.

I had a few die off, but it was only the ones I got in the summer that did not go through the winter with me. All the holdbacks from the bloodlines that were with me a year ago were absolutely fine.

I had considerably less sneezing and RI distress this year. We had several nights of freezing and a pretty long winter. My rats have been on my back covered porch and did a variation of the following depending on the night time temp. I covered the wire on the racks with bedding to insulate, tore up newspaper for them to make nests, and covered the whole rack with a plastic sheet.

Angela

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456