Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

1 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Mine will fight over yogurt. It might stick on the spoon better and will give them some pro-biotics while on antibiotics.

Angela

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aldebono For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (11-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I'll get yogurt too. If the rats won't eat that, I will. Thanks!!

The sickie is actually up walking around the bin, although you can hear him wheezing a bit. I checked all the bins again, still no one else seems to be ill.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I dont want to jack this thread or take it too far off topic but what temps are recommended for rats??

Thanks
    Generally the range is 60-80 degrees. I have read here that colonies are kept outside of that range and do well.

Back on topic, a sudden or severe change in temp can cause stress which effects their immune systems.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-31-2013),PitOnTheProwl (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Update, I've had another rat die, and several begin to show respitory signs.

Today I dosed several rats. I was told .1 ml of one drug and .5 ml of the other drug, and most of the breeder rack are approximately the same size. The vet never weighed the rat I took in, so I guess he's assuming the weight? For the bigger males I tried to give a bit more, and for smaller rats, I tried to give a bit less.

I went with the yogurt. Results for administering meds are...

Some rats would lick the meds right out of the syringe as if it were a water bottle nipple. Some enjoyed the yogurt(one male tried to eat everyone's yogurt) but some showed no interest in the yogurt or the meds straight, despite not being lethargic really. They simply didn't seem to care for it.

Those I ended up wrapping in a hand towel and giving the dose into their mouth. I think I'm wearing a bit of the meds, but they got at least most of the meds. Handling them to dose them stressed them I know, but only one seemed to go further into distress over it. Most simply dug in the bedding and gave me dirty looks.

The sicky one that went to the vet looks better than any of them. He's alert and energetic. In fact, he refused to be picked up, running about, so I gave him a tiny dish of yogurt with meds and he ate it with gusto. His fast recovery gives me some hope that the meds will improve the sick ones quickly.

Any advice on giving meds in yogurt without having a rat with an empty bin to itself would be appreciated. Right now, I'm putting in tiny dishes with the yogurt meds, watching to see who eats, and if two rats want to both eat it, I simply give them another 'helping' to share again. That way both rats end up with about a 'helping' each. Takes a while to get through all the rats this way, but I feel I'm dosing all the rats acting sick this way.

At this point, I'm expecting more deaths. I'll be watching to see how the bins do. If this is a typical infection as detailed by several people on this thread, I'll end up culling some animals and hoping that most make it. If all rats have the bacteria, I'll just make sure that I acquire younger healthy rats for breeders when I find them available, planning on these older ones not lasting tons longer. Again, since they were not in great shape when I got the colony(when I got the used racks) I originally figured that I'd be replacing them fairly soon. I just didn't expect them to start getting sick and dropping over dead after they got used to good food and clean bins!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    I know its probably too late to really be helpful but I have used Duramycin 10 from tsc with success I use about half a teaspoon in an 8 oz. water bottle replace everyday for 14 days. I haven't treated many rats but the few that I have treated have responded well
    Sorry your having troubles I hope It works out for you

~ Karl
    ~Karl

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KLMuller For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks, I might pick up some to try on some of the rats that really don't submit to taking their meds easily.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA

Thanks
    My vet calculated the dosage based on weight. Maybe you can use it as a guide.

Baytril twice daily for 14 days.
    128g rat - .03ml
    276g rat - .06ml
    466g rat - .10ml

Doxy compound 10mg/ml-twice daily for 14 days.
    128g rat - .06ml
    276g rat - .14ml
    466g rat - .25ml

The Baytril was from the vet. The Doxy was specially made by a compounding pharmacist because it was lower than any premade dosage. The Doxy alone was $32.

Watch them carefully and isolate any that get worse after starting the meds.

Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks! I appreciate it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA

Thanks

Re: Rats Sneezing/Dying-Vet Visit Results-Going Forward-NEED HELP

Quote Originally Posted by KLMuller View Post
    I know its probably too late to really be helpful but I have used Duramycin 10 from tsc with success I use about half a teaspoon in an 8 oz. water bottle replace everyday for 14 days. I haven't treated many rats but the few that I have treated have responded well
    Sorry your having troubles I hope It works out for you

~ Karl
    Just curious. How did you come up with that dosage? You're talking about 8 teaspoons per gallon of water. I also read that it's light sensitive. One package at TSC will make a little less that 5 gallons. Changing the water daily on a good size colony will add up quickly.

Anyone compare recovery time with Tylan to Duramycin?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast