Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

0 members and 3,366 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Hog Island Boa Breeders?

Hey Im new here and about to start my newest addiction from what it sounds like. I have been looking at Hog island boas and am pretty set on getting one. How is there temperament? I have heard boas are a bit nippy as babies. How is the bite? A small snake bite does not bother me I just do not wanna be tagged by a seven footer. Anyone bit by an adult Hog Island? Also I am prepared to pay a good bit for a boa but nothing crazy. Anyone have a breeder they swear by? Thanks!

Thanks
    Search it out on here, there are many post about them.

They are great, I have had them from 70 grams up to a 5ft male that I have. Neither has ever tagged me. Few times the male when he was younger hissed and went straight up my arm but never made contact. The female has never done either

Thanks
    Contact Gus at Rio Bravo Reptiles. He has awesome locality boas, some of the best that you can get at very reasonable prices. The boa market isn't doing too well right now, so prices are probably the best right now that you will ever get. Unless the market keeps getting worse that is.

http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/index.htm

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ours is great too. She is almost 5ft long now and was never nippy or hissy as a baby. When you get her out of her tank now though, you just have to grab her without hesitating. Once she is out she is never a problem. They have a strong feeding response like most boas.

Angela

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks

Re: Hog Island Boa Breeders?

I have a 5ft male and the only problem I have is trying to put him back in his tub lol LOve my hog. I got mine from Paul Mitchelhttp://pmherps.com/
    Good Luck !
    7.5 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Chocolate Lab
    1.0 Lab/Pit Mix
    0.1 Wife (LOL)
    1.0 Kids

Thanks
    Thanks for the help! I have decided to buy from gus at Rio Bravo because his name appears EVERYWHERE whenever hog islands are mentioned. The only thing that has me concerned is the boas are born in June and July, and I will be buying in January. Will I miss anything by buying it when it is six months old? How big will it be if I buy a male? Would it be considered a baby or juvenile? I will be buying a xmas tree tub from walmart for him. What size zoo med UTH should do? I was thinking large? Will this be sufficient? I was gonna do aspen bedding. Thoughts? Anyone have a thermometer/ hydrometer they swear by? Sorry for the obnoxious list of questions, I just want to have a happy boa .

Thanks

Re: Hog Island Boa Breeders?

also, I have one small and one medium Caribbean hermit crabs. Would it be a horrible idea to house the snake and crabs together?
    Last edited by Tyler Ferrell; 11-06-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Buy from Gus, Vin Russo, or Paul Mitchell. Mine came from Paul. I was nipped once by the male, a love bit. other then that, absolutely nothing. Big babies they are. Ferocious feeding response.
    Last edited by TheWinWizard; 11-07-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Ferrell View Post
    Will I miss anything by buying it when it is six months old? How big will it be if I buy a male? Would it be considered a baby or juvenile? I will be buying a xmas tree tub from walmart for him. What size zoo med UTH should do? I was thinking large? Will this be sufficient? I was gonna do aspen bedding. Thoughts? Anyone have a thermometer/ hydrometer they swear by? Sorry for the obnoxious list of questions, I just want to have a happy boa .
    You won't miss much buying your hog at 6 months old, by this time the hog should be considered a juvenile being around 3 feet still and eating fuzzy/weaned rats.

I would buy an UTH about 1/3 the size of the bottom of the tub you are going to use for your Hoggie. Since you are planning to use an xmas tree tub my guess would be a large or xl UTH. It would do well for a hotspot, but in tubs I find that it won't do as well for your ambient temp. Try to keep your tub in a fairly warm room.

Using aspen would be fine if you make sure you buy some quality aspen that isn't too dusty. Personally I use cypress because it simply looks more natural and holds humidity amazingly well, perhaps too much in tubs. When placing the cypress I like to air it out a bit to dry it out a bit first.

For your thermometer/hygrometer combo, I like the Accurite types which you cam get from home depot in the gardening section for fairly cheap(~$20).

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and make sure to post pics when you get your Hoggie

Sent from my DROIDX
    Last edited by notmyfault; 11-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Ferrell View Post
    also, I have one small and one medium Caribbean hermit crabs. Would it be a horrible idea to house the snake and crabs together?
    And I would definately not put them together just to be on the safe side :p.

Sent from my DROIDX
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon