Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

1 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Brian seems like a nice guy who really cares but 30,000 snakes really? It is impossible to provide them with the care and attention that they need even with a staff. I personally will never do business with BHB simply because I know that I can get an animal that got the attention that it deserved else ware
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-29-2013),iCandiBallPythons (08-26-2012),Neal (10-09-2013)

Thanks

Re: BHB reptiles/ Brian Barczyk

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Right. Mites aren't that big of a deal.

Got it.

Bull Crap.

Mites are a big issue - whether you know how to deal with them or not. They take time, money and a considerable amount of effort to eradicate. The process of eradication carries a risk of poisoning to your snakes and they are a prime vector of disease.

I don't know Brian. It's nice to know that's he a great guy. I also don't know any of the people who have come forward to discuss the mite issues they are having with animals they have received from him.

It's also nice to know that a can of PAM will do the trick and that Brian will do whatever it takes to help a person out. But I can't figure something out.......... but hey, as long as you are shouldering that load of water, perhaps I can ask you why - when LGrey received three snakes with mites from BHB - he would not spring for a can of PAM and instead offered her a mere $5 to deal with a problem he inflicted on her? Doesn't sound like he exactly did whatever it took to help her out, does it?

These are not "rumors" that need to be put to rest. He has admitted that he had/has/is having a mite issue - period, end of story, fini. If we are to accept that this is the cost of doing business with a great guy like Brian, maybe he should ship out a can of PAM with every snake.
    Ya. I’m going to have to give this a x3. Mites are at the very least a huge Pain in the ass, and can quickly develop into a life threatening condition of anemia if not dealt with. Not to mention the potential spread of other blood born conditions that the mites could potentially spread. I thankfully have not had to deal with a might problem since 1995; and that was a complete Night Mare. Try treating almost 200 Animals with Mites (Many of them Hot’s) when the only treatment available was daily cleaning, Vapona strips and baby oil. What puzzles me most about this and other threads about BHB is why do people keep saying things like “with a collection that size” and “he has so many animals coming and going every day” as an excuse for why it’s O.K or understandable for BHB to be shipping Mite covered animals? His collection although very large should not be subjected to contact of any kind with his import/export etc, etc. Is he a breeder or a Wholesaler? Are the animals people are buying from BHB produced at BHB or not? The larger the collection the more important proper quarantine procedures are. If I was maintaining a collection that size not only would any animal have to clear at least 3 months Quarantine, but I would not even allow people that been near the non cleared animals in the building in there street clothes. Of course I wouldn’t keep adult giant constrictors in tiny freedom breeders either so maybe I’m just strange.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Has there been any statement directly from the BHB camp as to how bad the situation really is?

I know it is his business, but if I were taking a black eye like this I would probably say something on FB or the boards. Our hobby for the most part is financed by disposable income (most of us do not NEED that new morph), and there are quite a few really good breeders out there (I considered BHB one of them), but you have to do damage control when word like this starts to spread.

As to how the mites got there in the first place, it is speculation on our part (seems a lot of that in some of these threads). There are several ways for it to happen, so they just need to figure it out and safeguard against it as best they can.

It is not acceptable for large numbers of snakes to be sent out with infestations, but as had been mentioned previously, everyone should be pre treating and quarantining anyway.

Thanks

One of my snakes that i got Brian had mites and i will buy from him again but only if he gives me the best price..I don't buy off the BIG NAME..When u have that many snakes its bound to happen..Seen mites from small breeders to some of the bigest names out there..
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 Spied
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Blue eyed lucy
    1.0 pied

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddumpling View Post
    I want to get a het albino from them, but I've been hearing some stories about them and wondering if it is true. I hear that people have gotten sick snakes and mites. I saw one guy on youtube that showed one of his snakes from BHB had mites. Are these rumors true that BHB has had some mite problems or ship sick snakes? I'm a huge fan of Brian and his snakes but when I see at least two people saying that they have had mites from a reputable breeder it worries me. He is the only one that has a adult female het that I know of. I know another breeder that has one but she doesnt have the paperwork to prove she is a het, but she has produce albino babies from her. So I'm leaning more to BHB because he would have paperwork for this snake.
    I wouldn't worry about paper work so much. Do you have a reason to think this person would lie to you. I have found people in the snake business to be honest. I would just take her word for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    This thread was started about a year ago....
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakeg View Post
    I wouldn't worry about paper work so much. Do you have a reason to think this person would lie to you. I have found people in the snake business to be honest. I would just take her word for it.
    then I have a bridge I'd like to show you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wwmjkd For This Useful Post:

Mft62485 (08-26-2012),PitOnTheProwl (08-26-2012)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Brian seems like a nice guy who really cares but 30,000 snakes really? It is impossible to provide them with the care and attention that they need even with a staff. I personally will never do business with BHB simply because I know that I can get an animal that got the attention that it deserved else ware
    Have to agree 100%.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-29-2013)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandiBallPythons View Post
    Have to agree 100%.
    x3

They seemed more concerned at the Daytona Expo in videoing everyone walking by their tables. It was kinda odd how they had their tables set up..... they stood in front of their snake racks instead of behind their tables like everyone else??

Even with a staff I don't know how they get anything done. It seems as they just make senseless, amusing videos all day long to post on their website. It's like a sitcom

Thanks
    Sweeping generalizations for the win?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast