Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

1 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: a lot harder than i thought

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    If your snakes are healthy then no need to worry................. him and dont let it get to you.
    If you are doing right by your snakes and it is working for you then all is good.
    hit him in the eye with a fish?? lmao that is awesome! i just may have to hit him in the eye with a fish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atherosdragon View Post
    hit him in the eye with a fish?? lmao that is awesome! i just may have to hit him in the eye with a fish
    just make sure its a raw fish, not frozen, you want to make sure you get fish slime ALL over him lol
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atherosdragon View Post
    should i not breed if i think a igloo cooler with my spider thermostat and flexwatt tape in the bottom is sufficient
    Having performed tests regarding the insulation performance of $30 Igloo coolers versus $400 yeti coolers, I will tell you this:

Igloo coolers are awesome, particularly for their price point. They are REALLY, REALLY good at keeping things insulated, hot OR cool depending on your needs.

That said, you know what's even better at insulation?

Styrofoam and packing tape.

Yuppers, a $10 styrofoam box I bought at wal-mart in Alaska and brought frozen salmon fillets home in performed better in ice retention than any commercial coolers we tested. Pack it, tape the seams, it will hold heat (or cold) incredibly well.

The problem with coolers is that in making them more structurally sound than styrofoam creates bridges of thermal conductivity, so plenty of heat leaks in/out of the base.

The good thing is that with a 70 degree difference in temperature between the inside of the cooler and the outside air temp, you still only need roughly 1-6 watts of power to make up the difference (if your heating/cooling element works at 100% efficiency). Due to heat loss being related to the difference in temperature (heat exchange happens faster if the temperature difference is greater), if the difference in temperature is minimal (such as 80 vs 90 degrees), then the energy required is extremely minimal, and can be very finely controlled to maintain a very precise temperature point.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Atherosdragon (10-23-2011),Vypyrz (10-26-2011)

Registered User Charlie And Lucy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh my goodness. I understand this breeder is top notch (I was at Tinley, I know exactly who you are referring to), but I have to point out that if he's that fantastic, why would he falsely allow you to believe you are hurting your snakes? Your set up sounds wonderful. Oh and hitting people in the head with fish is definitely the way to go. I mean, no one expects to get whacked with a fish!
    ANDREA

1.1 Normal Ball Pythons - Charlie and Lucy
    1.1 Red Tail Boa - Arcadia and Hades
    0.1 Blood Python - Allison
    1.0 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python - Diomedes
    3.0 Cats - Rhett, Diesel and Nabisco
    1.0 Gerbil - Moo
    1.0 Field Mouse - Waddles
    RIP Rainie Girl. I'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Thanks

A lot of breeders (not all) tend to believe they are walking encyclopedias. Bustling with information and facts and unfortunately opinions. As long as your snakes needs are being met than there is no issue with your DIY rack regardless of what a breeder tells you. I had a "breeder," try and explain to me that thermostats are useless, and another one told me that BPs need the humidity so high that there should be condensation on all the tubs. Do your own research, find the facts yourself, and try not to listen to bull advice LOL - Just because someone has been successful in this business doesn't mean that they know everything. With that said, criticism is an awesome tool to help you improve your operation and should always be considered so I applaud you for asking the questions and exploring the issue. Keep doing your thing and your research and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Chris.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

Atherosdragon (11-24-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12