Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

2 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: i need advice

Thanks

i need advice

hey guys ive been doing alot of digging around for a monitor and tegus i really like them and would love to have one. With that being said ive NEVER owned any thing bigger then a bearded dragon. my biggest question is,from the exp of people who own them what is the best starting medium lizard? i really love the look of the blue tegus and my wife is really liking the savanna monitor. ive read alot saying the sav monitor are mostly wild cought,and ahve a huge perisite load and that is consrning when i have ball pythons that carry some value.so would paresites affect balls? i havent done much on the tegus is there a reliable place to find info? i also saw in the december reptile mag that ackie monitors are realy "easy" to handle and maiantain.would they be a better monitor to look into for someone green with med lizards?
    so thanks guy in advance
    2.3 normals
    1.0 100% het pied
    1.1 spider
    1.0 pastel

Thanks
    If you're thinking either V. exanthematicus or T. merianae, then go with the tegu. Both require a lot of knowledge and experience to maintain properly; but for a beginner (or even someone with lots of experience) you will find a tegu more rewarding than a savannah.

Ackies are great lizards as well, but if you are looking for something larger, they won't satisfy that desire. Not in the least.

All savs are wild caught. You can get captive bred tegus from a number of places in the States.

I recommend Varnyard.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp