Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

2 members and 3,392 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    We do need less laws on certain animals but if we allow people to own a lion then whats next? Does that mean someone should be able to keep great whites in the pool? I dont know. For me it just makes no sence for people to be allowed to own animals that need miles of home range. Ever thought why pandas dont breed well in captivity? Its cause they hate it lol
    [IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No way should you say that there is NO ONE who has the resources= space, time, knowledge, money, etc to care for a large animal like that. Our passion is ball pythons/ reptiles, what if their passion is a large carnivore?

Not my choice of animals to keep. I would love to own a riding camel one day though.

Angela

Thanks

Re: Should People Be Allowed to Keep Exotic Animals

Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    No way should you say that there is NO ONE who has the resources= space, time, knowledge, money, etc to care for a large animal like that. Our passion is ball pythons/ reptiles, what if their passion is a large carnivore?

Not my choice of animals to keep. I would love to own a riding camel one day though.
    I understand the point but heres one to think about. You name one zoo, sanctuary, or private establishment that has the adequate room for a lion to flurish. Or show me one place that has a forest environment for a bear with the range they need to be happy. You will not find one cause there is none. The only places are in wildlife preserves with thousands upon thousands of acres. Another problem is these private collectors make these wild animals have to adapt to humans. Thats not in their natural makeup. They are animals that see humans as threats therefore i dont see any good that can come by that. I also think. There should be a permit system for venomous species as well as big snakes. Im not saying make people pay through the teeth for them but regulate who owns them as far as making sure they are equiped to own such animals.
    [IMG][/IMG]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snake lab For This Useful Post:

sandra (12-14-2011)

Thanks
    Heres just alittle more food for thought. If we dont have regulations to protect animals and people from idiots who choose to keep such animals without the proper care then more horrible things are gonna happen and thats gonna really put the heat on to ban everything exotic. It is sad but the people against what we do far out number the people that love what we do
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Wow. Ignorance at its finest shines again. 73%. Thats just pitifull. I agree some things are probably not the smartest idea to let loose around the house but given proper care and caging most animals live full rich lives and sometimes live longer in captivity than in the wild. And thats not to mention the education thats provided to individuals who come and see them. If people are that worried abt a couple little snakes that ball up as soon as they feel scared then they need to grow a pair.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm on the fence with this one. I don't believe that just any idiot should be able to buy any exotic animal. If you want to own a tiger -or something else dangerous like a giant snake, you should have to take a class/test on basic care/safety, have a permit, and someone should come to make sure you have a proper facility/enclosure for the animal. I know these regulations are already in affect for most animals that are considered dangerous, but it seems like there needs to be a little more involvement so idiots don't keep their tigers in apartment buildings. Those are the people that give exotic pet owners a bad name.

We had a family friend that had two pet cougars, they were "house cats". Once the cougars got out of hand the guy opened up the front door and let them out of the house. I think that if people like that had a permit and they knew the state knew about them having a pet like that they would be much more likely to make the correct decision when they no longer wanted the animal.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 10-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

mues155 (10-20-2011),sandra (12-14-2011)

Thanks

Re: Should People Be Allowed to Keep Exotic Animals

Just remember this statistic. 1.8 million people support peta worldwide and everytime some idiot who owns an exotic that gets out of hand only gives groups like peta more amunition. We need regulations in place to protect the responsible people from such idiots otherwise we will see large scale bans. Now as i fully support usark and respect the fight. We are and will always be outnumbered. This is why we need to do as much as we can to protect what we love to do. Peta has a nack of pushing their agenda and their power upon lawmakers against anything that has to do with animals. So some moron who allows a tiger to get loose has a direct influence on the reptile community.
    [IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    Given this is a response to the whack job up in Ohio I doubt anyone is thinking ball pythons when they vote in this poll. They are thinking what they saw the past two days..lions/tigers/bears/wolves etc. And I am comfortable saying that ANY ownership of such animals should be highly regulated with set procedures and safety protocols as well as backup and emergency procedures.

Thanks

Another pole!

http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_news/2011...6124#c59146124

I wonder if this is some set up by HSUS. Some things just don't add up. Also the man obviously had mental issues.

Thanks
    I voted but kind of a dumb poll really.
    Most of the public probably dont think of exotic pets being parrots, or reptiles but more so big cats or bears.

I think theres a HUGE difference in owning a HARMLESS exotic pet like a parrot or a non vemonous harmless snake, vs. owning a tiger, bear or wolf.

Any yahoo can buy an animal online or at an exotic animal show to think its cool or whatever but most of the time the animal is not going to a responsible owner. Most exotics need a huge amount of care, most of which cannot be provided for in a rural home.
    I agree most exotic animals should be required a permit if owned. Managable non venomous snakes I dont agree should be in this category however.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast