Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

2 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Lack of energy?

Thanks

Lack of energy?

Alright, so my ball python hasn't shed since the beginning of September, and he just got his pink belly a few days ago, along with the fading skin color. Typically when he shed, he didn't act unusual, as he would maintain a set amount of activity. However, ever since he started shedding, he's done nothing but spend time in his hides. He's also lost some of his grip when I hold him.

For the record, my pastel is 4 and a half months old, and around 26 inches long. I also moved him over to his new 30 gallon setup a couple weeks ago. The only new things I've done with his enclosure are add a few decorations and switch from aspen to paper towels. Husbandry is perfect, two hides - a cool end of 78-80, and a hotspot of 88-90. Ambient is 85. Humidity is around 50 on the average day, but I've been misting and such since shed started to keep it around 60-70.

Is this common behavior during shed that I should expect more often?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Lack of energy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrolicious View Post
    Alright, so my ball python hasn't shed since the beginning of September, and he just got his pink belly a few days ago, along with the fading skin color. Typically when he shed, he didn't act unusual, as he would maintain a set amount of activity. However, ever since he started shedding, he's done nothing but spend time in his hides. He's also lost some of his grip when I hold him.

For the record, my pastel is 4 and a half months old, and around 26 inches long. I also moved him over to his new 30 gallon setup a couple weeks ago. The only new things I've done with his enclosure are add a few decorations and switch from aspen to paper towels. Husbandry is perfect, two hides - a cool end of 78-80, and a hotspot of 88-90. Ambient is 85. Humidity is around 50 on the average day, but I've been misting and such since shed started to keep it around 60-70.

Is this common behavior during shed that I should expect more often?
    It is perfectly normal for a snake to have limited activity during a shed cycle. My snakes do not even come out of their hides when they are in shed. As for the lack of grip, I'm not to sure what that is.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Hydrolicious (10-17-2011)

Thanks
    I just got home from school and his eyes are blue, so he's almost done, I assume. I'm also holding him as I type and he feels... more energetic than the past few days. There's probably a correlation between the lack of grip and during-shed lack of energy.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Also, on average, my BPs usually shed about 2 days after their eyes clear up.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Funny thing was, when I got home today the hot glue I had on my thermostat probe had fallen off(I just set the blasted contraption up a few weeks ago, it's strange) so I had to tape it on via foil tape. I don't trust that glue I was using anymore... My thermometer said the heat pad was at 106 after it fell off!