Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

1 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

ASF cannibalism proof.

Ok. So I walked in on this situation, therefore, there are many possibilities as to what transpired before I arrived.

When I went to check on my ASF colonies I saw that my newest breeding group finally had a litter. Upon closer inspection there was one alive and one chewed completely in half. Just in case, I removed the live baby and placed it in another colony. I then snapped this picture to show you all. I know I've been asking if ASF's eat babies for some time now. And here is the proof. The bottom half of the body was completely gone.

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry . Sometimes the first litter gets cannibalized. I usually cull females or groups if it continues after a few litters.
    ~Jessica~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Ive never had it happen, But with ASF, if they arent well fed on quality blocks and water, they eat the young

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

llovelace (10-17-2011)

Thanks
    New moms sometimes eat the young too. Or bad stock. My head spot cinny had 2 litters before they didn't get eaten, the others had litters where only a few got eaten. Could have just been that they died and then got eaten.

Either way, it's not always because of something missing, sometimes mom just is too young or sucks.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    i've had that happen a couple of times too. it's not pretty to see, that's for sure. i'm hoping to get them on a better diet soon, though the cannibalism hasn't been a problem lately.

but yuck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I have not had a problem with my asf's eating their young, even if there are any stillbirths in the litter.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Re: ASF cannibalism proof.

Today I went into my rat shed to find my entire grow up bin of females dead, except for one, who seemed pretty twitchy and generally just not right(10 dead total, stock is low, thank God it wasn't 30-40 like it is usually).

I think this was due to a lack of water, as they managed to drain their bottle(which is massive, and I just filled it two days ago; wood pellets had all expanded, there was like 4 inches of substrate of mushy substrate), and must've started killing each other in search of hydration. I feel awful as I'm sure this was preventable, and I'll be sure to check the bottles from here on out, but it was like looking at the Valentine's Day massacre.

Brutal, but they will cannibalize if the need to exists. Another reason I think its the water was the second I refilled the bottle(and replaced the cap in case it was that which malfunctioned) she drank from it for at least 10 minutes non-stop.

I feel just awful as that was a weeks supply of food for my younger snakes, and the poor ASF's essentially died for nothing, due mostly to my lack of attention....I'm down in the dumps to say the least....
    2.7 Normal
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 NERD Lemon Pastel het. for Ghost
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Mojave
    1.1 Lesser
    1.1 Normal Het. Albino

1.1 Pastel Salmon BCI's(RTB) Poss het. for Albino

Thanks
    The only time i have had a problem with cannibalism is when we switched from rodent block to hog feed. It didnt take me long at all to switch back

Thanks

Re: ASF cannibalism proof.

I have had the problem before and the way I handle it is the following:
    I write a big red "M" for murderers on their tank and give them a second chance, if it continues, they get replaced.

Thanks
    they'll sometimes eat each other too! ......it happens sometimes!

Pitoon