Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

5 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"DO NOT use PINE or CEDAR bedding!"

I made a post like this a while ago, but every single rat care or rat breeding or ANYTHING that has to do with pet rats at all, ALWAYS says "DO NOT USE PINE!"

I use pine, and it's not even the "pet" bedding. It's used for animals, but not small animals like rats. I've been using since the summer of last year and I have not had any problems at all with it. No respitory infections, breathing problems, babies dying, nothing.

My question is, what is the big deal? I mean really? I know a lot of people on here use pine, whats your experiences with it? Heres the link to the website that had the title in it:

http://www.80stoysale.com/ratsickness.html

Thanks.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    The dont use Pine is directed to True Real pine thats not Kiln Dried. All wood has Phenol oils in them even aspen. But its how its processed and heated to minimize them oils

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My experience:
    Been using pine since 1985. No problems.

Thanks
    i've lost once babies once to kiln dried pine, because I used the bottom of the bag and the particles were dusty and small enough for babies to inhale. Killed two litters.

Other than that it was pretty much fine.
    'Tics, burms, balls, and geckos. A bunch of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Well, sites always say "Never house two snakes together" but plenty of folks do that without any issues too.

I think using pine(kiln dried preferably) isn't like housing two snakes together really. I mean, commercial breeders used pine bedding for how many years? So while it might be as good as aspen, I don't think it's a 'death sentance' automatically either.

I use the aspen myself. I don't like the smell of the pine bedding. Both are from renewable resources. The aspen mulches better than the pine.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    You just need to watch the dust and read how it is processed. I actually carefully touch the bags and if im allowed touch the bedding itself. If my hands are dusty I won't purchase it. If I can smell a really strong scent I won't buy it either.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I've been using pine for a few years with no problems. The only studies I've ever been able to find say that cedar is the one that has been proven in lab tests to cause organ failure in rats.

It is in fine print on the side of the bag but I checked every brand in every size of pine at Petsmart and they are ALL kiln dried so no worries.

Pine is OK (the fluffy stuff packed tightly) and it is the only thing that controls odor, ammonia, and moisture for a full week.

The pine pellets on the other hand, can become too dusty and kill babies by clogging their nose.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: "DO NOT use PINE or CEDAR bedding!"

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    I've been using pine for a few years with no problems. The only studies I've ever been able to find say that cedar is the one that has been proven in lab tests to cause organ failure in rats.

It is in fine print on the side of the bag but I checked every brand in every size of pine at Petsmart and they are ALL kiln dried so no worries.

Pine is OK (the fluffy stuff packed tightly) and it is the only thing that controls odor, ammonia, and moisture for a full week.

The pine pellets on the other hand, can become too dusty and kill babies by clogging their nose.
    If using strictly pine pellets for rats, yes its a problem with babies dieing. If needing to, mix it a 80 shavings 20 pellets. Gives a good ratio and odor control

Mice, straight pellets is fine as the dust wont harm them.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I agree Rich. For awhile I would put a thin layer of the pellets on the bottom of my tubs and put the fluffy pine on top. It worked great but I stopped doing it because the pellets are so heavy I'd have to use multiple garbage bags per rack when I'd only need one per rack otherwise.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My experience is this I have been breeding rats for 4 and half years straight, I produce a few thousand rats each year and I NEVER had any health issue, respiratory or other.

I use pine pellets and pine shaving.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast