Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

2 members and 3,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: PVC Enclosures - How to Heat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
    I use a single (properly sized) RHP in my pvc cages and they do a fantastic job. My house temp is usually 74 and I have no trouble maintaining temps for my IJ's, Corn and BRB Boaphile cages.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    I dont really understand how they work. most people ive seen have put the RHP in the middle of the ceiling.

But, if you put it in the middle, you wouldnt have a hot spot in your tank, right? if you were using just a rhp, wouldnt it be smarter to put it just on one side (say the left side), and then would it act like a heat lamp?

It would really help to know the dimensions of your pvc cages, as well as the temperatures needed for your snakes. Also where / what brand is your rhp? Thanks man

EDIT: Also, Im considering BOAPHILE plastics, anyone tried these enclosures before?
    Last edited by mattchibi; 10-14-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Matt

0.0 Ball Pythons (for now )
    http://iherp.com/mattchibi

Thanks
    OK, here we go!
    I have the Boaphile that is 24 x 48 x 18" and use a Pro-products RHP that is 12 x 18" and 65 watts. It is mounted in the upper right corner, the long way.
    I just took temps for you, the cool side floor is 77.8, the warm spot (on top of the stack) is 90.7 and it is 83.3 where the snake is. It is 74.6 in the room.
    The Corn's temps are 84.7 and 76.3, the boa's are 85.4 and 77.1. Those are floor temps, they don't have the stacked ledges that my IJ's have.
    Here is a quick pic so you can sort of see what I am saying...

Edit: I use Herpstat thermostats

Last edited by Clementine_3; 10-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:

mattchibi (10-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattchibi View Post
    Rack system probably wouldnt work for me though, right? I only have one BP at the moment, plan on getting another BP and another Boa in the future, and I want them all in their own cozy cages. Still trying to decide between wood and pvc; however, wood seems much harder to heat than pvc. Would have to deal with putting a UTH or flexwatt with a layer of plexi over top (dont really wanna go this route because I like to clean cages frequently)

Is my best bet to actually go in to the store and check the cages out? Maybe I should ask those guys what the best way to heat the cages is.

Im guessing a single RHP or a single Flexwatt isnt going to be enough to keep the temps up in a 48 x 24 x 12 enclosure. My house ambient temp is around 75 right now, but it will drop even lower as winter comes.
    I use 80 watt RHPs in my 4x2x1 cages, and they work perfectly. My room is usually around 70 - 75 F. They don't run constantly either.

If you are going with a cage, then XPVC is the way to go. Some ball pythons do fine in cages, but I have noticed that mine do better in racks. Some people keep theirs in stand-alone tubs, but I would be too worried about them escaping. The rack encloses the tub, so the changes of that would be very slim. Racks also tend to hold heat in, since most are closed on all sides except the front.

If you are going to own more than one ball, then a rack would be the way to go. You could also keep the boas in the rack until they are too large.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

mattchibi (10-14-2011)

Thanks

I dont really understand how they work. most people ive seen have put the RHP in the middle of the ceiling.

But, if you put it in the middle, you wouldnt have a hot spot in your tank, right? if you were using just a rhp, wouldnt it be smarter to put it just on one side (say the left side), and then would it act like a heat lamp?

It would really help to know the dimensions of your pvc cages, as well as the temperatures needed for your snakes. Also where / what brand is your rhp? Thanks man

EDIT: Also, Im considering BOAPHILE plastics, anyone tried these enclosures before?
    Yes, you should place them on one side of the cage. That will give you a hot side and a cool side. The benefit of RHP of flexwatt is that RHPs heat the ambient temp as well as the floor, while flexwatt only heats the floor.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Thanks so much you guys! Both of the last posts helped me alot.

Just purchased a pvc enclosure from All Reptiles, looks like this: (Dimensions are 4 x 2 x 1)

It smells a bit tho, of something glue-ish or rubber, so im going to keep the glass open and let it air out for a week. I dont plan on putting my bp in until I order the RHP or flexwatt. Im pretty convinced if I make a setup like Clementine (where she has the option to bask), then the RHP would be the way to go.

Height wise, its a small enclosure, only 12" high. If I placed the RHP at the top of the right side, and offered it a raised basking spot, is there any risk of my BP touching the RHP and getting burned ?

Matt

Thanks

Thanks so much you guys! Both of the last posts helped me alot.

Just purchased a pvc enclosure from All Reptiles, looks like this: (Dimensions are 4 x 2 x 1)

It smells a bit tho, of something glue-ish or rubber, so im going to keep the glass open and let it air out for a week. I dont plan on putting my bp in until I order the RHP or flexwatt. Im pretty convinced if I make a setup like Clementine (where she has the option to bask), then the RHP would be the way to go.

Height wise, its a small enclosure, only 12" high. If I placed the RHP at the top of the right side, and offered it a raised basking spot, is there any risk of my BP touching the RHP and getting burned ?

Also, I was wondering how/ if I should light up the enclosure ? Drilling a hole for the bulb and then drilling on a bulb guard as well ?
    Matt

Thanks
    They can't burn themselves! That is one of the great features, no burns.
    My Boaphiles had lights installed, but yes, drill holes for the cord and screws and mount it. I would use a small under the cabinet florescent type, they have covers and will be plenty bright. Cut the plug off so you only need a small hole then buy a snap on replacement. If your RHP didn't come that way the do the same.
    Don't forget, the bulb will add a few degrees of heat, keep an eye on that...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Personally with a one foot tall enclosure I'd go with flex watt or stick on uth (no sagging issues with them) over a RHP they are usually used in taller enclosures and arboreal animals.

It is also a lot cheaper and you could put the money saved toward a good t-stat.
    Last edited by kitedemon; 10-14-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Personally with a one foot tall enclosure I'd go with flex watt or stick on uth (no sagging issues with them) over a RHP they are usually used in taller enclosures and arboreal animals.

It is also a lot cheaper and you could put the money saved toward a good t-stat.
    Already have a herpstat thanks for the advice tho. I think I may go with RHP just because in the past, my UTH (zoomed) hasnt heated up too hot for me and Im concerned whether it will penetrate the pvc or not. And if they cannot be burned on the RHP, thats another plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
    They can't burn themselves! That is one of the great features, no burns.
    My Boaphiles had lights installed, but yes, drill holes for the cord and screws and mount it. I would use a small under the cabinet florescent type, they have covers and will be plenty bright. Cut the plug off so you only need a small hole then buy a snap on replacement. If your RHP didn't come that way the do the same.
    Don't forget, the bulb will add a few degrees of heat, keep an eye on that...

Do radiant heat panels usually come with seperate snap on plugs ? that would make a lot more sense. If it doesnt come like that, where can I buy snap on plugs ? and how would I cut the original plug off / set it up?

Yeah that was one of the main reasons I was gonna go with boaphile, cuz it came with the light fixture.. but I decided to support my local reptile shop instead ^^ I have been advised to use LED strips if I just want simple lighting, but I may consider the long fluorescent bulbs w/ covers.
    Matt

Thanks
    My panels came with snap on plugs. You can pick them up in the hardware store, they are really cheap and easy. Just cut the actual plug off and pop the new one on to the end of the cord.
    I have used them for a few things around the house, they come in handy when puppies chew cords

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast