Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

3 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

PVC Enclosures - How to Heat ?

Here are some pictures of the PVC enclosure I am about to buy for my BP. They are made by All Reptiles in Toronto, Canada. I plan on going to check them out before buying one. Has anyone dealt with these guys before, and if not, what are some important things I need to be looking for when it comes to plastic snake cages?

They said that they use these tanks in their own store and use flexwatt underneath to heat them. Do these seem like good cages to you guys?

My friend bought a colombian pastel from there, healthy as can be, so I trust them a little already. Just thought that buying an enclosure might be smarter for now, until I am more familiar with snakes.

Right now my female BP is in a regular 20 gal glass, Im thinking of moving her within the next 3-4 months into a 48 Long x 24 Wide x 12 Deep PVC enclosure. She is very small for her age, 3 years old and 30 inches.

Is that size of an enclosure too big for her? I saw this guys enclosure and I wanted something similar.

I think 48 x 12 x 12 might be better since shes probably not going to get too much bigger..

Heres a link to the store im buying it from: All Reptiles

Since heat lamps arent an option, I plan on getting a radiant heat panel to control air temps and to have a flexwatt as a hot spot. Is this a viable idea for such a big space ? Please let me know what the best way to heat such an enclosure is.
    Matt

0.0 Ball Pythons (for now )
    http://iherp.com/mattchibi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The lower ones just a uth will work the taller it is likely to need a RHP or CHE of some sort. PVCx isn't the best to heat through but it holds heat really well and maintains ambient temps.

Thanks
    They look nice, I don't have any from them.
    I use flexwatt underneath and radiant heat panels inside, both with thermostats and works well
    Last edited by rperry03; 10-13-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    I haven't actually used my RHP yet so I don't know how well it works, but if I had a PVC enclosure like that I would probably install one on each end and use two separate tstats to control the hot/cool sides.

I would think that flexwatt has to get pretty hot to heat through PVC like that.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks
    My PVC cage is heated with a radiant heat panel.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    i have some heated with flexwatt and some heated with heat pannels. the pannels are the way to go.

Thanks

Re: PVC Enclosures - How to Heat ?

IMO, radiant heat panels are the best way to heat PVC cages, unless your cages are in a temperature-controlled room that is between 80 and 82 F.

Although those cages do look very nice, in my experience ball pythons do much better in rack systems than in cages.
    Last edited by Wh00h0069; 10-14-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Re: PVC Enclosures - How to Heat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    IMO, radiant heat panels are the best way to heat PVC cages, unless your cages are in a temperature-controlled room that is between 80 and 82 F.

Although those cages do look very nice, in my experience ball pythons do much better in rack systems than in cages.
    Rack system probably wouldnt work for me though, right? I only have one BP at the moment, plan on getting another BP and another Boa in the future, and I want them all in their own cozy cages. Still trying to decide between wood and pvc; however, wood seems much harder to heat than pvc. Would have to deal with putting a UTH or flexwatt with a layer of plexi over top (dont really wanna go this route because I like to clean cages frequently)

Is my best bet to actually go in to the store and check the cages out? Maybe I should ask those guys what the best way to heat the cages is.

Im guessing a single RHP or a single Flexwatt isnt going to be enough to keep the temps up in a 48 x 24 x 12 enclosure. My house ambient temp is around 75 right now, but it will drop even lower as winter comes.
    Matt

0.0 Ball Pythons (for now )
    http://iherp.com/mattchibi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattchibi View Post
    Im guessing a single RHP or a single Flexwatt isnt going to be enough to keep the temps up in a 48 x 24 x 12 enclosure. My house ambient temp is around 75 right now, but it will drop even lower as winter comes.
    I use a single (properly sized) RHP in my pvc cages and they do a fantastic job. My house temp is usually 74 and I have no trouble maintaining temps for my IJ's, Corn and BRB Boaphile cages.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    My reptile basics is heated with a radiant heater.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast