Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

2 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Need Help - Stool Oddity

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    Have u ever fed live? If so where did u get the feeder from? Did u get the snake from a breeder? (Same feeder questions about breeder) if so then the source has to be put out so others can be aware and so the breeder can check his animals. I'm not an infectious disease expert but I don't think a parasite can be frozen, ingested and reproduce. Maybe. It prolly came from when it got loose. Hopefully ur vet will help narrow it down. Sorry to hear it. Good luck
    I'd have to double check her records (I'm at work now), but I don't think I've ever fed her live.
    At this point I'm not willing to say where I got her from until I talk to them. It doesn't seem fair to cast doubt on anyone when it is likely she may have gotten it when she escaped. I also highly doubt she had it when I got her but I haven't had a fecal exam done on her before.
    I also believe it is possible for parasites to survive in a freezer. They have to reach a certain degree before they die so it's possible my freezer isn't cold enough. I don't really know though.
    Treatment for this is going to be interesting though. They were out of the inject-able medication so I have to give her a little pill on Sunday when I feed and again in 2 weeks. I haven't quite worked out how I'm going to get the pill into the rat though.
    Last edited by Kinra; 10-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    I haven't quite worked out how I'm going to get the pill into the rat though.
    Not to be graphic, but will the pill fit down the rat's throat once it's thawed? I'd try poking it down there a good way so it doesn't get dislodged when she strikes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Not to be graphic, but will the pill fit down the rat's throat once it's thawed? I'd try poking it down there a good way so it doesn't get dislodged when she strikes.
    Yeah that would probably work, I was also thinking about making a small cut and sticking it in. Playing with a dead rat is not high on list of fun stuff to do.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    So how did it turn out? Did you get the pill in via the rat? And how long did it take to get rid of the tape worm? Did you ever figure out where she got it?
    Oops, scratch that- thought it was an older post that got bumped up- was looking at your membership date- mistaken it for the original post date. My bad.
    Last edited by AZ_Equine; 10-07-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    I thought at one point I had read a thread about another members ball getting a tape worm from a rat that they thought had a flea on it? For some reason all I can remember is fleas carrying tapeworm eggs. I might be wrong though. But perhaps if there was a flea on a rat that had been frozen and it was carrying a tape worm egg. Thats could be how it was contracted. That's so crazy though. Ps don't quote me. I could be totally remembering the wrong thing.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks
    Oh yuck, this is so scary. Good luck to you and your snake! I hope you figure out how she got it and she makes a full recovery.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I might be wrong but I dont think it came from f/t mice/rat. When a rodent is frozen, freezing should have killed most of the things on or in the rat. And I'm assuming that the frozen rats were not something that were frozen for only a day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddumpling View Post
    I might be wrong but I dont think it came from f/t mice/rat. When a rodent is frozen, freezing should have killed most of the things on or in the rat. And I'm assuming that the frozen rats were not something that were frozen for only a day.
    I've heard from someone that tapeworm eggs don't die when they are frozen. I have never feed her live and I'm sure I don't have mice/rats in my apartment that she could have eaten when she escaped. I trust the place I got her from 100% so I'm sure she didn't have tapeworms when I got her. That means the only way she could have gotten them was from a f/t rat. I've heard some pretty horrible things about the place I was getting my f/t rats from lately too.

Again, I can't prove where she got the tapeworms from, so I will not name names.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    How is the treatment going? Any luck getting the pill in the rat? I hope everything works out and it clears up soon. Is this type of tapeworm specific to certain animals or is any living animal subject to invasion?
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    I've heard from someone that tapeworm eggs don't die when they are frozen. I have never feed her live and I'm sure I don't have mice/rats in my apartment that she could have eaten when she escaped. I trust the place I got her from 100% so I'm sure she didn't have tapeworms when I got her. That means the only way she could have gotten them was from a f/t rat. I've heard some pretty horrible things about the place I was getting my f/t rats from lately too.

Again, I can't prove where she got the tapeworms from, so I will not name names.
    I never feed live too not only because they could bite the snake but things like parasites. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm just curious, could tapeworm eggs really live that long in a frozen rat if its been frozen for over a week or something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast