Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

2 members and 3,081 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Post Shedding Indicators (Pictures)

Lots of time on my hands! This thread is dedicated to all new snake owners. This thread will cover all the indicators that your snake is going into shed or is in shed. That being said, let's get started!

Pink/Cloudy Bellies appear usually at the very beginning of the process and stay throughout until the snake sheds. This is a tell-tale sign that your snake is entering shed before they go into blue (see "Blue Eyes").

Example of a Cloudy Belly (Pink bellies are more noticeable)

Loose Skin also is an aspect of determination. It's not one of the easiest ways to tell, but once you've become familiar with the shedding process you may be able to point this out. It seems to be most noticeable around the neck area, but also in areas of the body that are bent or closely "folded" (see 2nd and 3rd photo).

Dull Coloration is one of the easiest ways to tell. One day you may go into your snake's enclosure to find it being darker than you last saw it. Snakes do not go through a dramatic dark color change, but they do get slightly duller or darker than before.

In shed

Not in shed

In shed

Not in shed

Blue Eyes occur approximately 2-3 days after the other shedding indicators are present. This is when your snake enters the middle of the process. The snake's eyes first become a translucent, light-faded blue. Around a day or less the snake's eyes will become a milky or cloudy blue. The term for this is called being "in blue." This phase may last up to a week or less.

Soaking in the water dish is seen during the process. Some snakes do this to help aid in shed. They may even do this if they feel the humidity level is too low for them to shed without any obstacles (I.E. stuck shed, shedding in pieces).

Hiding away for a few days is also another small indicator. Snakes will normally become inactive (see "Sluggish Behavior") and take cover in their hides during the process.

Sluggish Behavior is a noticeable factor. When snakes go into shed, they cannot see very well from being in blue. They normally take cover in their hides and don't come out unless for a drink of water or to shed. While handling your snake, you may notice that it isn't as jumpy or lays around more than wanting to move.

Defensive Behavior can happen but does not happen with all snakes. There are some snakes that get stressed out from being in blue and not being able to see well if at all, therefore they act defensive and snappy.

Food Refusal is often a normal thing that happens with many snakes in shed. It's nothing to worry about by any means. Some people don't feed their snakes in shed for this very reason regardless to whether they do eat or not.

This goes more in depth on the shedding process ----> http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...edding+process

I hope I covered everything. And if anything is needed to be added or modified please let me know so I can send a PM over to an Admin or Mod. Although I could use some more good photo examples if you want to send them my way through a PM.

Thanks for looking, I hope this becomes helpful to many new keepers .
    Tiff'z Morphz

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

Munizfire (10-04-2011),Rawbbeh (10-04-2011),Rusky (10-04-2011),Vypyrz (10-04-2011)

Thanks

Re: Shedding Indicators (Pictures)

Awesome thread will be of great use to people and pets alike.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Obscurus28 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (10-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obscurus28 View Post
    Awesome thread will be of great use to people and pets alike.
    Thanks!! Definitely took me a couple hours but hopefully it goes to good use!
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    wait does the loose skin really mean something? I know one of my ball pythons is shedding because of the milky blue eyes and all. but I just got my albino ball python and he has loose skin too. Its been 6 days that I left him alone, never fed him and he has loose skin around the neck when he bends his neck. I don't know what it looks like when an albino sheds.

Thanks

Yes the loose skin from the old skin covering over the new. Your Albino should shed like any other snake. Seems like it could shed within the next couple days
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    nicely illustrated!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aboutsnakes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When my ball python goes into shed when hes getting the old skin off he stays in the hide then i normally have to soak him and let him crawl around in a wash rag, i also have a hard time keeping the humidity up around 70% and ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Nice illustration, Tiff. Rep points sent...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aboutsnakes View Post
    nicely illustrated!
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Nice illustration, Tiff. Rep points sent...
    Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by OokamiReyuu View Post
    When my ball python goes into shed when hes getting the old skin off he stays in the hide then i normally have to soak him and let him crawl around in a wash rag, i also have a hard time keeping the humidity up around 70% and ideas?
    If you're using a tank with a screen lid, you can cover up most of the lid with saran wrap (leave some space between the lamp and the plastic wrapping). Lamps will usually zap humidity quickly so I recommend misting a couple times a day. You can also provide a humid hide for when your snake goes into shed again. Damp paper towels or moss works great.

You should let your snake shed on its own. Soaking the snake while its in shed isn't needed because they have an oil or lubricant between the old and new skin that aids in shedding when the time comes to do so.
    Tiff'z Morphz